1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

More Calories, Less Filling

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by YCantWeNotBeSober, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A realization I came across whilst drinking a Founder's Imperial Stout. Stricken with hunger I open the fridge to find myself a small meal (alcohol tends to make me hungry) when I think "None of the food in my fridge has a higher caloric content than the beer I just consumed." And there in that moment, staring at a package of jalapeno cheddar brats I planned on mixing with some scrambled eggs, I had an epiphany..."The more calories a beer has, the less filling it is". A terrible realization for any college student hoping to maintain a figure of youth. My reasoning is that a I figure a bigger imperial beer has nearly 6-10x as many calories as a Miller 64, yet fills you up so much less than drinking an equal caloric amount (6-10 miller 64's). Why can't the body process those calories and tell your ol' noggin' that it's consumed enough calories and thus does not need an additional meal on top of it? Am I destined, as a fan of high calorie / high flavorful beers, to trade away my abdominal 6-pack for the alternative liquid 4-pack?
  2. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Ive put on 15 pounds since thanksgiving. That was when my beer consumption really increased. Mind you, ive weighed 165 for over 5 years +/- a pound.

Thats why they call them whalez/walez. Cause thats what youll end up looking like.

P.S. if Miller 64 didnt taste like taint sweat, we wouldnt have these problems.
    johnyb, VoodooBear, dsal89 and 4 others like this.
  3. Mattyb79

Mattyb79 Savant (440) Virginia Dec 11, 2012

Mostly because the calories come from alcohol, which is empty calories. So your body gets nothing out of it to tell you that it's consumed that many calories. You actually get more nutrients from the multiple Miller 64.
  4. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

I do an hour on the treadmill per beer, that's the only way I can drink good beer and keep a decent body.
    musicman7070 likes this.
  5. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

I think you need to go back to the epiphany drawing board.
    dawatts and Nectar like this.
  6. Beer has a lot of calories. Either "balance your calorie budget" via diet and exercise or you'll gain weight.
  7. jlenik

jlenik Savant (435) New Jersey Jan 22, 2009

If I'm hungry and I drink a beer my hunger is staved off for a while. Unless I keep drinking, then the hunger becomes intense.
    RyFikes and chocosushi like this.
  8. Sounds like an interesting flavor. Can't wait for TBS ("Taint"ed breakfast stout).
  9. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Great on a hot summer day!
  10. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

I'm on the verge of being annoyingly health conscious (exercise and clean diet) on everything other than my beer consumption. In a way, I'm health conscious so I can drink more beer. I'm not the kind of gal that has to fit into a size 0 at all times, but I do watch the scale and pay attention to how my favorite pair of jeans are fitting. If it's time to do some extra cardio or cut back on yums, I'll do it...happily. But I rarely limit myself on brews. I think awareness is a large part of staying fit. Can you still run a 5k straight? Are you staying within a 10lb +/- happy range? Do your jeans still fit? A lot of people simply don't know those answers, and just assume the best. And therein the problem lies.

I'm aware of my fitness level, and I adjust other factors partly around my beer consumption. I juice vegetables everyday, I make darn well certain I get lean protein and healthy fat, I do strength and cardio training nearly every day, and I drink as many of any beers as I damn well please with zero guilt.
    dcloeren, WebGuyMike, dawatts and 7 others like this.
  11. T-RO

T-RO Savant (300) New Hampshire Nov 9, 2012

well its good you realized that now instead of 20 years from now, ya pretty much the better it tastes the more calories it contains. I decided to lose weight in 2012, count calories, began running, lost 45 pounds, drank hundreds of great beers - might have been a 150 calorie Dales one night or 900 calories of a DIPA the next, just depended what I had left to "spend" - but I never had 1 MGD 64.
    MilkManX, JulianC and Andygirl like this.
  12. This is why i drink in moderation anymore. I've never gained a pound from beer, and i refuse to allow myself to. I limit my beer drinking to about 2 nights a week. Ive also found some delicious healthy alternatives to typical munchy foods which are both nourishing and kill the craving ( which for me is mostly a fat and salt craving). I find that if i eat junk after i drink like drive through fast food ( jack in the box cough cough) i will wake up with the worlds worst hangover! Even if i didn't really drink that much. Also when out, alternating beer with water i find cleanses the palate, helps curb my appetite somewhat, and is a good hangover prevention, as well as preventing me from getting overly drunk too soon.
  13. Anytime I'm doing any type of cardio I'm converting the calories burned to how many beers that alots me that day in my head. Helps pass the time.
    Vonerichs and T-RO like this.
  14. If the fact you are drinking world class beers with regularity and getting a little bit of a beer belly, consider yourself lucky. There are worse problems all of us can have :)!!!!
  15. mountsnow1010

mountsnow1010 Savant (360) Vermont Jan 23, 2009

And this is probably the reason that moderate beer consumption is correlated with health and a longer life.
  16. brewtus

brewtus Savant (355) Ohio Dec 29, 2012

Just get married
  17. Yeah, I've put on a few pounds since drinking whales. I also get the beer munchies after a few, which just makes things worse! All in my gut. I'm actually cutting back on beer, sweets, and trying to move more. My job is so sedentary. This weekend is my wife's best friends birthday at a bar with 100+ taps. Everthing from bmc junk to Old Rasputin, Abt 12, Tricerahops etc. There she goes.
  18. antilite

antilite Aficionado (160) Florida Jan 1, 2012

This is life. It is not a dress rehearsal. Cheers!
  19. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (845) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

+1, that's pretty much what I do. It helps that I used to run marathons (last was 2 years ago) and even with backing off on training, I still run 25-30 miles a week on average. I equate two miles (I'd say about 175-225 calories depending on the intensity) to one beer. So I guess the ledger allows me to drink a 12 pack of beer a week.. and I don't even reach that drinking the one APA/IPA after work each day.. with stouts on weekends. Although BCBS is estimated at a solid 450 calories!

I still have a lot of my good habits from running marathons, which of course includes having a nice APA after a good run. So far so good.. but I'm sure that as I get older, get married and have kids and all that good stuff, I'll have to make a conscious effort to stay fit while keeping my food and beer consumption at a reasonable level.
  20. Bro, just drink Guinness. It's like a meal in a glass.
    TheJollyHop likes this.
  21. drink moar eat less crap lift heavy BOOM done
    MilkManX, dcloeren and dawatts like this.
  22. You can still drink beer and have a 6pack (abs, that is)! But it requires busting your @$$ working out nearly every day, eating a healthy diet, and drinking in moderation.

My nightly stouts taste so much better knowing that I burned 850 calories earlier in the day to earn the beer.
    MilkManX, dawatts and xxbillay like this.
  23. Azrael

Azrael Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2013

Are you asking whether beer makes you gain weight? Really? o_O

Short answer: yes, yes it does.

Long answer: higher-calorie beers tend to be higher in alcohol (which lowers inhibitions for food intake) and sugar (which spikes insulin and eventually leads to hunger pangs as well) - a double whammy. You can't drink them on a regular basis and still maintain leanness unless you're absolutely golden everywhere else: lots of exercise and an extremely clean diet. You have the advantage of youth right now, but it only gets worse from here. There is a lot of research showing that the body doesn't 'register' liquid sugar calories (high fructose corn syrup being a great example) the same way it does solid sugar, and carbs are simply less filling than fat or protein. Beer can be your enemy here.

My suggestion: track your caloric intake and compensate for the beer you consume. Cut out your sodas, your snacks, and your burgers. Eat lean meat (fish, chicken, turkey) and lots of vegetables. Exercise 4-5 days a week. Drink in moderation. You can keep this up for decades and still see your abs.
  24. johnkale

johnkale Aficionado (205) Wisconsin Dec 19, 2009

1. Why are you asking this question on a beer forum, you clearly have access to the entire internet which can easily explain why your body doesn't register these calories as a feeling of fullness?

2. When you add jalapeƱos they cease to be brats. Germans do not know how to process chili peppers. at least on a conceptual level. I'm assuming they can digest them (barely).

3. Everyone, stop worrying too much if you gain a couple pounds from your big beers. Stay active and eat good food (you know, vegetables, things with fiber) and you should be just fine health-wise. While we can link obesity to some health issues, weight is not the ultimate measure of health; the number of factors determining life expectancy, cancer rates, and rates of heart disease is absurdly high.
  25. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

Beer makes you fat. Just embrace it, like Gerard Depardieu, the European equivalent of Charlie Sheen.
  26. Daemose

Daemose Savant (440) Texas Oct 3, 2011

Less water? duh. lol
  27. Hour per beer?? Are you walking??
  28. Li
    Lift heavy so you can be the Fat buff guy??
  29. As someone who - only a year ago - would regularly drink 2-4 beers per night and still run at 17:30 5k, sub-36:30 10k, it is possible to drink far more than is healthy and still be very fit. This doesn't mean that I recommend this or that it is a good idea. I used to start my morning with an 8 mile run before school (I was a teacher and coach), and then log a few miles or a workout with my runners at practice, I was banging the shit out of my body. I really didn't gain a pound, despite consuming 300-1000 calories/day in beer. In all other ways, I'm an extremely healthy eater.

Balance is always possible. Honestly, it is much healthier to keep drinking to moderation - it is a great source of supplemental calories - and exercise for fun. I truly enjoy running 5-7 times/week, but I don't necessarily agree with the people who force themselves to work out every day.

However, there's nothing wrong with a little belly as long as its something you are fine with. I'll probably have one someday. I hope that I can run as long as I can drink beer, but I'm not sure that's realistic.
  30. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

No, I jog or do one of the routines. I have a nice Sole treadmill at home, so no big deal to watch TV and workout instead of plopping on the couch. Besides, I like to do things that require some degree of fitness, like hike and ride atvs. If I sit on my butt all winter drinking and don't run, I suck at those things come summer.
  31. KWMiles

KWMiles Initiate (0) Minnesota Oct 23, 2012

I don't workout to stay in shape; I workout to drink more beer.
    fuzzylogic and xxbillay like this.
  32. I really need to get on this exercise bandwagon things that people keep telling me about.
  33. 6'3" 232lbs here. I'm constantly wrestling with this myself. I grew up battling my weight, obese until college when I dropped over 100 pounds by diet and exercise changes. I've been health-conscious and interested in exercise ever since, and my weight has fluctuated some but generally remained in a "comfortable" range of 215-220lbs. In the past year or so, as I've gotten more heavily into craft beer (and homebrew!) as a hobby, I've found myself 10lbs above that range despite no change to my exercise or my food intake habits. Beer is clearly the culprit here. I believe some people have bodies/metabolisms which are more forgiving than others; mine is simply not forgiving. If I curtail beer to Friday/Saturdays only I can drop some weight fairly easily. Having beer more often than that seems to blow me up, even if it's just one or two a night.

C'est la vie. Make choices and live with them. I'm going to drop my beer intake back to Fri/Sat, step up my lifting and running efforts and hopefully knock some pounds off.
    KWMiles likes this.
  34. chocosushi

chocosushi Savant (450) Oklahoma May 1, 2011

^this.
    Healthy(er) snack alternatives.
    Water throughout the night.
    Moderation.
  35. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (465) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

You must not drink much beer. BTW - That equation comes out to about -700 to -900 net calories depending on what beer you are drinking, assuming that your treadmilling at the level that I do (about 1040 calories / hour).
  36. Todd

Todd Founder (1,430) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Please seek professional medical advice.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.