1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

More TG Pseudo Sue going out!

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by AnalogErik, Jan 16, 2014.

1. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (560) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

From what I've heard (note, is rumor) is that this is the first batch off their new kettles and they are apparently more "efficient" at extracting the sugars, which resulted in the higher ABV. Same recipe though. I love it tremendously!
    Ri0 likes this.
  2. Same recipe, better efficiency on their new system. Higher alcohol means a little less leftover sugar. You're gonna have to come up with some other reason to not like it and get back to us.
  3. pepsican

pepsican Savant (315) Iowa Nov 5, 2007

Better efficiency + higher ABV could still yield a higher FG. Think 15% more fermentable sugars yet not all sugars get fermented. Could also be that perceived sweetness could come from less bitterness/hop flavor (bigger body, more alcohol, same hops as if it was regular Sue).

I thought it was a cool mix up, but prefer the last few batches to this one. Would honestly much rather see a Petite Sue, pushing the ABV down the 1% to around 4.5. Sounds like a perfect six pack to work on over the course of a night.
    bpfrush, mattafett and McRyan like this.
  4. TgBC

TgBC Aficionado (185) Iowa Aug 28, 2011

Don't rule out Petite Sue. I've been thinking about it, but no tank space yet.

The 7% Sue should be viewed as a one time deal for now. Maybe brewed again, but not regular.

-Mike
    Stevedore, Ri0, Bond111 and 6 others like this.
  5. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (470) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

I love some sweetness with my hops, guess I better get some of this.....

I actually bought a bottle at Festival La Crosse Tuesday night, how do I know if it is from the 7% batch? Is it indicated on the bottle somewhere?
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  6. Mplsbrew

Mplsbrew Aficionado (170) Minnesota Mar 21, 2013

Pretty sure the 7.0% batch does not list the ABV on the label while normal Sue says 6.0%
  7. Steasy66

Steasy66 Savant (310) Minnesota Feb 23, 2012

They are talking about higher OG from greater mash attenuation. More fermentables and unfermentables meaning a little more left over sugar, or higher FG. Higher OG also means reduced hop utilization so the same hop bill yields less IBU. Nice snarky comment about something you clearly don't understand though.
    Ish1 and maximum12 like this.
  8. Erdinger2003

Erdinger2003 Savant (450) Iowa Sep 16, 2005

I'm confused. A higher OG accompanied by a higher FG means no discernible change other than extra sugars, however, if Sue is 7% that means that the yeast still attenuated the same as usual and that's what would cause more sugar to ferment out and make the higher percentage of alcohol. Otherwise OG - FG would = the same ABV% when they are both raised and it wouldn't matter what numbers you plug in:

(1.070 - 1.025 = 62.7% attn.) = 5.9% ABV

(1.060 - 1.015 = 73.9% attn.) = 5.9% ABV

This is probable explanation of 7% Sue
    (1.059 - 1.013 = 77.0% attenuation) = ca. 6%

(1.069 - 1.015 = 77.1% attenuation) = ca. 7%

Note: The top attenuation numbers do not represent American IPA yeasts

Also Note how the two final gravities in this case are two gravity points away from each other. That means that the difference in both beers final product are not far from each other.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  9. Steasy66

The probable seems reasonable. I didn't mean equally higher OG and FG, just that a higher OG would inevitably lead to higher FG, therefore somewhat sweeter beer. Going from 1.06 to 1.07 OG with the same hop bill and boil time would give you about a 10% drop in hop utilization as well. More unfermented sugars, lets Citra hop alpha acids, I didn't care for it as much as the regular, that is all.
  10. Erdinger2003

The texture of the beer is changed for sure with higher ABV% and slightly higher unfermentables.
  11. MooseBoose

Cool, thanks. I could not find a ABV anywhere on the label so I must have a 7%, great!
  12. MNPikey

MNPikey Savant (475) Minnesota Feb 27, 2011

Normally, the ABV is listed just to the right of the circular TG logo...

[​IMG]
    gatornation and BrettHead like this.
  13. This is brilliant! I like what your thinking here!
  14. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (925) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

You weren't impressed, as in you would rate it < 4? I think most who think a beer like this has a muted hop profile have wrecked the palate. I always find it funny how many think certain IPA's are too sweet, but maybe I am more sensitive to bitter flavors. I know I am drinking many other styles between IPA's so I do not experience this phenomenon.
  15. bditty187

bditty187 Champion (780) Nebraska Jul 10, 2002

What do bottles cost? Getting one in a trade and what to know what price I need to shoot for.
    BrettHead likes this.
  16. $8 or so. Worth every penny.
    BrettHead and bditty187 like this.
  17. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (525) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

$6 at the taproom I believe, and some distro
  18. Erdinger2003

I think $6 is for Dorothy's and IPAs are $8
  19. You're assuming higher OG, but that is more likely.

You're also assuming you know what I do and don't understand and we know what that makes. My snark was more about someone who likes Sue at 6% but not at 7%, when I doubt you could tell them apart....I'm assuming...
  20. Steasy66

You are assuming I assumed higher OG.

TG Brews Hop Patrol ‏@TGBrews Feb 18
    @isuee94 @WSJbeerbaron exact same #pseudoSue recipe only our new brewing equipment is a lot more efficient and we achieved a higher OG,
  21. MooseBoose

That's the label mine has, so I guess I didn't have the 7% batch. Regardless, I have had Pseudo probably 6 times on tap, twice in a growler, and this was the first in the bottle. I liked this bottle better than any of the previous times I've had it on tap. Might be all in my head.
  22. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (835) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

I would be buying up Petite Sue six-packs like hot cakes. Especially if that were to come out this summer.
  23. MNPikey

MNPikey Savant (475) Minnesota Feb 27, 2011

Just put Sue in 16oz bottles!
  24. Ri0

More Sue arriving tomorrow to Madison. It should start lasting a while now since it is arriving more often. I still have a #7 Sue from last time.

@TgBC What is the wait for 12oz bottles? Is the current bottler able to handle 12oz bottles? Just curios.
    nickapalooza86 likes this.
  25. TgBC

TgBC Aficionado (185) Iowa Aug 28, 2011

The current bottler has the ability to handle 12oz bottles, but there's a long list of logistical reasons why 12oz sixers aren't happening yet.
    BottleCaps80 likes this.
  26. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (560) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

I like the key word "yet." :)
    Ri0 and JediMatt like this.
  27. Ri0

Oh, I'd be cool with 4 pks. ;)
  28. gkoz

gkoz Savant (430) Illinois Apr 22, 2013

Really interested in trying this. Send me a bm if you are interested in some local Chicagoland beers that you don't want to make the trip out here for. I know it might be a long shot but I figured I'd take it. This would be much appreciated. Cheers