1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Mosaic Hops

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by mcc1654, Jan 18, 2013.

1. mcc1654

mcc1654 Savant (355) Illinois Mar 20, 2011

Anyone use these yet? Going to make a DIPA on Sunday and looking to get feedback on their flavor. Thinking about using them with Citra and Amarillo.

2. harsley

harsley Savant (460) Massachusetts Jun 16, 2005

I made an all Mosaic IPA about 5 weeks ago. Picking up a lot but orange peel and pineapple stand out at the moment.

3. koopa

koopa Champion (800) New Jersey Apr 20, 2008

Anybody else brew and sample a Mosaic IPA yet? I'm planning on brewing one early next month with centennial and simcoe. Kind of wondering how similar Mosaic is to Simcoe (I know it's a Simcoe x Nugget hybrid) as I hope that using the two hops together won't make the beer come off like just a Simcoe dominant IPA.

4. Horseballs

Horseballs Aficionado (105) Ohio Feb 7, 2012

I get an overwhelmingly candied fruit and stone fruit flavor from mosaic without the pineyness and grapefruityness of simcoe. Not a bad hop at all, but I think it would do really well in a blend with other hops to make it less of a fruitbomb.

5. "a fruitbomb"

I hope so...can't wait to use my 1/2# of Mosaic in an uber-dry US-05 hopbomb paired with Simcoe and Centennial also (and bittered with Belma?!?) : )

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  6. I have used Mosaic as a sub for Simcoe in a Pliney kind of DIPA. Got some pine, fruityness, resin, and no cat piss.

Bells has made some experimental beers with it, that I liked also.

7. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Fruit bomb is right... Blueberry, tangerine. Low bitterness.

8. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

This One Goes to 11 used Mosaic. I was a fan.

9. Didn't know that. They had a beer last year with Mosaic, and I have had Experimental #12 which was a DIPA IIRC. Have some in the freezer to use, about a pound +.

10. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (545) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

I did 2 IPAs w/ Simcoe, Mosaic, Chinook, and Calypso. Same wort & boil, different yeast and dry hops, one turned Black. The regular got lots of Mosaic and Meridian w/ Simcoe, Calypso, and Cascade, huge tropical fruits, lots of mango, pineapple, peach (I think from the West Yorkshire). Black IPA (1056) got lots of Simcoe and Chinook in the dry w/ some Mosaic, lots if pine and dank hops, touch of blueberry. Best IPAs I've ever brewed.

Scrapss likes this.
  11. Could you rephrase that? Very interested but kind of confused as to how they were different and what each of their traits were.

12. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (545) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

Sure. Blog post is here. Same mash and boil, same hop bill, lots of Mosaic, Calypso, Chinook, and some Simcoe. 10 gallons. 2 ferments, 5 gallons. Turned one Black with a Midnight Wheat syrup.

Black got 1056, dry hopped with 2oz each Simcoe and Chinook, and 1oz Mosaic. Lots of pine and resin with a prominent blueberry note in the nose.

Regular batch got 1469 W Yorkshire, DH 1.5oz Mosaic, 1oz Simcoe and Calypso, .5oz Meridian and Cascade. Lots of tropical fruit, mango, pineapple, peach (I think this is from the yeast not the hops), touch of pine in the background, a little sweaty socks (I get the same from Amarillo).

Hope that helps.

AlCaponeJunior and Eriktheipaman like this.
  13. Thanks! Much appreciate the blog and re-explaining it for me.

jbakajust1 likes this.
  14. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (655) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

I just got my pound of leaf in last week, and I brewed a Mosaic IPA this past Friday night. Bittered with Chinook FWH, and tossed in Amarillo up front at 15, and then Mosaic all the way to flame out. Whirlpool with Mosaic and Amarillo.

Plan to dry hop with just Mosaic I think, maybe a little Chinook, I think I have a vac bag that only had .75 ounce left in it after my FHW of 1.25oz of it. Figure it won't be enough to muddle it up.

Smelled good though.

15. jlpred55

jlpred55 Savant (305) Iowa Jul 26, 2006

I have some in the freezer as well. Planning an IPA bittered with Chinook and with the rest of the hop bill at 75% Mosiac the rest of the balance will be Citra and somthing more dank, maybe more Chinook or CTZ or Apollo....haven't decided.

16. I just tasted a gravity sample from an all-mosaic pale ale (APA/session IPA) that I brewed last week.

This is a delicious and intense hop, with some similarities to Simcoe but quite different in a lot of ways. To my palate, the main flavors and aromas are of fruit, mostly melon and pineapple. It doesn't come across as particularly citrusy to me, maybe a bit of lime or mandarin orange but definitely not grapefruit. I did get some of the berry notes that people have discussed in the raw hops, but not so far in the glass. The closest hop comparison, to me, is actually Nelson Sauvin, but with more fruit and less dank.

I will also say that in terms of raw potency, this is the hoppiest pre-dry-hop beer I've ever brewed. The Mosaics seem similar in power to Nelson and Citra. (One caveat: This could owe partly to the fact that I'm just starting to manipulate water chemistry, but I didn't think that is really supposed to impact flavor/aroma, so I doubt it.)

17. I don't find Mosaic to be like Nelson. I like Mosaic a lot, never had a Nelson beer I like. My taste perception. I like Fuggles, and some hate them saying Fuggles taste like dirt.

18. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (750) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Fuggles rock.

skivtjerry likes this.
  19. I think I am a non-fan of Fuggles. I really don’t like Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA and that beer uses Fuggles hops. There are very few IPAs that I have a dislike for but Commodore Perry is one of them.

Cheers!

P.S. I am also a non-fan of Nelson Sauvin hops for the most part. The only exception (so far) is Anchor Humming Ale; I like Humming Ale.

20. QTF

21. Fair enough! I guess I should have said that I found them closer to Nelson than any other hop I know well, but still not that much like them and mostly very unique. (And delicious.)

Also, my notes here are just on one gravity sample, so hardly complete. I'll post again with any additional thoughts once the beer is finished.

22. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (800) Texas May 21, 2010

I never understood the lack of love for fuggles. I had some in a red in MO and thought that the beer friggin' rocked! Ever since then I vowed to try fuggles in different stuff. I've liked everything I've made so far that uses fuggles, and everything (that I know) of that I've tried commercially that used fuggles.

It's not really a DIPA type hop, but then I haven't actually made a IIPA yet, so whateva!

Of course some people find citra = cat pee, I don't.

23. We all have different taste perceptions that are to a large extent determined by our genetics. This is just like color blindness.

24. AlCaponeJunior

Or fuggles blindness :rolleyes:

25. koopa

My brew club did a single hop beer experiment where the same wort (pale ale recipe) was divided up amongst club members who then used the correct amount of their own respective single hop to bitter the beer to the same ibu's as ever other member. We then tasted them all. One of the fun parts about this experiment is that we used all different kinds of hops, including fuggles. I must say after tasting an all fuggle hop pale ale, I really like fuggles! It has this great earthy meets lightly perfumed character that I dug.

26. AlCaponeJunior

Was there a thread on this? I kinda remember something about this, especially the guy with [insert hard to brew a single hopped beer with X hops here, some low AA variety] struggling with, but ultimately succeeding with his recipe. I might be remembering something from another forum tho.

I agree that there's an earthy element to fuggles, and that there's another appealing aspect (you say perfume, I would say lightly spiced, but to each their own). I just find them to be flavorful and delicious, even if I can't fully articulate why. They make nice ESBs, as the one I've got in bottles right now proves :cool:

27. koopa

Not sure if there was a thread on BA about a similar tasting or not, but I wouldn't doubt it considering it's a fairly common activity amongst brew clubs. You know what I'll actually say lightly spiced over perfumed too, although I probably meant more of a cologne when I said perfumed and a cologne can definitely have a spice quality.

28. MrOH

MrOH Savant (490) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

FWIW, I've never brewed with Fuggles. HOWEVER, I've tried a lot of beers that were brewed with Fuggles. IMHO, the key to brewing with Fuggles is to brew a beer where Fuggles works and not a beer where you work Fuggles in. Old Peculiar, the earthiness of Fuggles works with the dark malts and invert sugar. Shipyard Fuggles IPA tastes like how my ex-GF's junkie brother smelled.

So far as Mosaic, I would like to try them as the dry hop in a Hopslam clone instead of Simcoe, using blueberry honey. But that would mean buying hops that aren't in my freezer and varietal honey=$$$.

29. MMAJYK

MMAJYK Savant (455) Georgia Jun 26, 2007

I'm kegging my Mosaic IPA tonight. It's been dry hopping on 4 oz of whole leaf for 12 days. To me, it's very similar to Citra with the tropical fruit and pineapple notes. I have my Citra IPA on tap already so it will be fun to see what people think of having the two side by side, as in how similar or different they are from each other.

30. Please let us know the difference. Interested in your opinion.

31. I had the same impression from a friend's IPA that was 100% Mosaic. Similar combo of fruit and dankness. I've got 1/2 lb in the freezer to go into a beer with Simcoe and Nelson, eventually.

32. jlpred55

jlpred55 Savant (305) Iowa Jul 26, 2006

UGH- not really what I wanted to hear....

33. I <3 Nelson, I hope Mosaic is similar!

34. “Shipyard Fuggles IPA tastes like how my ex-GF's junkie brother smelled.” LOL!:)

That reminds me of a great line in a Simpsons episode where Homer and Marge take the kids to a rock concert and:

Bart: [sniffing] What is that smell?
    Lisa: It smells like Otto's jacket...

For you non-Simpsons fans, Otto is the bus driver.

Cheers!

35. mellostello

mellostello Zealot (95) New York Apr 4, 2009

After 10 days in the bottle, my single-hop Mosaic pale ale smells like strawberry and tastes like Honeydew. Overall it is a very easy drinker although it finishes kind of bland. I think I will try using it next time with some wheat malt and Comet for bittering. Anyone used Comet hops before? I have a # of pellets and don't see to many recipes with it.

36. I hope Mosaic and Otto's jacket have something in common : )

37. koopa

Resin content :)

38. I plan on using both shortly...Mosaic and Citra...hopefully a sublime palette of Otto's jacket and headphones : )

39. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (655) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

Never used Comet, but I have a pound of it. It's honestly the dankest hop I've ever smelled. If I ground that shit up, and put it in a bag, I could sell it on the street to idiots.

I hear it's got a citrusy, wild aroma. Oranges and stuff like that. To me, it just dank as hell. Might pair well.

I'm scared as hell to use it, for no reason other than not wanting to drink bong water. I might use it in a session IPA, something I can do cheap, fast and if it sucks, give it away. ;)

jlpred55 likes this.
  40. “If I ground that shit up, and put it in a bag, I could sell it on the street to idiots.” Maybe Otto would buy it!?!;)

Cheers!