1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Mosaic Hops

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by mcc1654, Jan 18, 2013.

1. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

How much for a dime bag? Curious how similar they are to Apollo, which to my nose, smells like delicious dankness.

I have lb sitting in my fridge but haven't smelled or opened them yet, but your post has inspired to go chuck 'em in a black IPA I was supposed to brew last weekend.

2. “How much for a dime bag?” Hmmm, could it be ten bucks!?!:p

Cheers!

SenorHops and barfdiggs like this.
  3. barfdiggs

Thats what I get for posting after a 2 hour meeting, and in conjunction with just being mentally defective in general.

SenorHops likes this.
  4. “ …just being mentally defective in general.” Sounds like too many dime bags to me!:D

Cheers!

5. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (655) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

It's dank... REALLY dank. My wife isn't thrilled when I have bulk hops show up, especially leaf. When I bust out the food saver, and the scale and go to town. However, when I pulled this bag out, she told me she was going upstairs, and that I needed to light a candle. It was the most pungent, dankest, dirtiest hop I packed that day. I did Simcoe, Amarillo, Citra, Columbus, Chinook, Belma, Cascade and one other that I'm missing, along with the Comet.

My hands were so sticky after pulling ounce after ounce of it out. I actually resorted to pulling out the medical gloves to finish with the pack.

It's got an intense citrus, very orangey and pithy. Then it just has that unmistakable dank smell to it that fills the air.

I'm frightened by it for sure. Go read some reviews on beers with Comet in them. Weed gets mentioned alot. I'm not fond of the smell of weed at all, so I think thats why I'm apprehensive using it. But I'll probably man up and do a simple session IPA like I said and see how it goes with it. If it sucks, I can donate the hops to someone that might like to try it, since it's damn near impossible to find ANY info on them anywhere.

barfdiggs likes this.
  6. “But I'll probably man up and do a simple session IPA …”

Cool dude! You can call it Otto’s IPA!:)

Peace out!

7. barfdiggs

Based on your description (and the review I found on Hops Direct, beer reviews on here) it sounds like a more citrusy apollo, which is a hop I really like. I did a single hop DIPA with a lb of apollo (FWH, 10 min, FO/Whirlpool, 3x DH of just apollo) that was nutzo, it had some onion, garlic and just a psychedelic amount of dank/skunk and citrus with some tropical fruit. Definitely going to throw an oz or two of comet in the hop back this weekend (Rest of beer is going to be hopped with NZ Cascade and a little bit of Mosaic in the hop back).

I think the idea for a session IPA is the right way to go, as it would be much easier to choke down a keg of 4.5% session IPA than say a 9.5% DIPA if the comet hops proved extremely potent, in a weird/bad way.

Your wife's reaction made me laugh, as its the same one I get when I'm making coffee in the morning.

8. FATC1TY

So I can add that I pulled a hydro sample from my Mosaic IPA.

It's hopped with Chinook, Simcoe, Amarillo and Mosaic. The brunt of the work being Mosaic.

It's down to 1.012, and still has krausen on it, and I know from past experience with my grain bill I used, I have about another 2 points or so before it's done.

That said.. It's sweet... not cloying, under attenuated sweet, but sweet and juicy. Mosiac is a very very fruity hop. I think it's amped up on the fruit/citrus/flower notes and MUCH muted on the pine that you'd assume you'd get from being related to Simcoe.

On the Comet note.. I got brave, and have like 2/3 of a keg left of a Imperial IPA that was knocked deep with Chinook, Amarillo, Simcoe, Citra and Cascade. Dry hopped with 3 oz of Simcoe.

I felt I needed some more aroma and flavor for whatever drunken reason the other evening, and tossed in 2 oz of Comet leaf.

I like.

It's citrusy, without being fruity if that makes sense. It's earthy and dirty. Dank is an understatment. Has a resinous pine note, and has this... melon note? It's like a canteloupe-ish note I'm getting. It's not sweet, and it's not fruity, it's.. different I guess. A good different. I will say, that this dry hop for whatever reason has the perceived bitterness of the beer MUCH higher. The beer TASTE to me, more hoppy and bitter than it did the other night. So that might be something to have an ace in the pocket if I end up with a beer that needs more bitter bite to it in the future without a ton of flavor alteration. This beer didn't need it at 90 IBU's, but it's still great.

9. aaronplayford

aaronplayford Zealot (75) Michigan Jun 29, 2011

Just trying this hop for the first time( i think). Very smooth, slightly fruity. the smoothness lends to the "blueberry taste". In my opinion it needs to be paired with a more pungent hop like columbus, centennial, or chinook. Maybee just a hop shot to bitter things.
    The hop smelled real spicey in pellet form but tastes far from it. A little biscut malt in a pale or ipa would pair/bring out that smooth flavor.

10. Joek201

Joek201 Aspirant (25) Pennsylvania Jun 14, 2013

Well, as we all know hops and buds are second cousins :) BTW I grow Chinooks and am thinking of getting some Mosaic rhizomes started (next year). My buddy grows Nugget, Cascade, and Centennial. If I had to pick another hop to grow, what would y'all suggest? My growing season is in Lancaster County - SE PA.

11. Mosaic is proprietary so you will not be able to get any rhizomes unfortunately.

jbakajust1 likes this.
  12. Yes, as checktherhyme said, Mozaic is proprietary...but, CTZ (Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus) is not. If you are looking for dank, CTZ is your best bet for a backyard grower. Cheers

13. FATC1TY

Goodluck getting the Mosaic rhizomes. If you manage to steal them from a field, I'd keep it quite. It's proprietary.

I'd grow some Columbus myself. You'd have alot of the classic hops there.

jbakajust1 likes this.
  14. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (545) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

I grow Chinook, Cascade, Centennial, Crystal, and CTZ and make some dang tasty IPAs. I also have Blisk which is just as good as many of the hard to buy for a fair price proprietary hops on the market right now.