1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Most Expensive Beer You've Bought

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Rizalini, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Its like champagne IMO, if you have the money go for it. make sure you share it though! enrich some other peoples lives with beer. I have never forgot any moment in time when someone shared something opulent with me ( or even opulent tasting).

2. $40 for a 750ml of 2006 Bon Chien (bought this year)

$60 for a 3l of Chimay blue

3. BeerBuckeye

BeerBuckeye Savant (430) Ohio Oct 2, 2009

Most for any one beer? $18 for CBS

A single, 12 oz bottle? WWS for $10.

Would gladly pay again for CBS, wouldn't drink WWS again if you paid me $10

4. With PA's four-tier distribution system, it results in some sporadic pricing on certain brews, so you gotta be on the lookout (for instance, Frangelic Mountain Brown bomber was $23 by my regular spot but found it for $19 just about three blocks down, but that spot that had the $17 FMB had BCS for $10 a single 12oz and then my #1 had the BCS for $7 each. I say this because I threw down $27 on Parabola last week when I just found out other places have it for like $22 or less.

Other than that, I spent $60 on a 4-pack of 2009 KBS as my Xmas gift last month.

5. $40 for BCS Coffee from a bar
    $28 for Fou Foune from a bottle shop

6. ...$290 for 2012 utopias IN BOSTON... I really regret paying that price but the beer is phenomenal

Fresh likes this.
  7. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (365) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

That will cost you $8000 retail.

crushedvol, evilc and GrizzWranglin like this.
  8. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

9. dianimal

dianimal Savant (455) California Apr 18, 2012

I think it was ~$35.00 for The Bruery Oude Tart. That's a splurge for me.

10. I don't quite understand how these NC breweries think that they can do this? I guess that is why I pass on these guys when they come up, and why I see them sitting around in stores. The ones I've had have made me very glad I passed!

For me most I've spent I guess is $30 for Black Tuesday

11. Are we talking about in a retail setting or on that site that no longer sells beer? Because there is a HUGE difference...

12. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,030) Colorado May 19, 2005

Utopias several years ago at $120. I think the price on those now is double that.
    --still have some left, by the way. A 2005

13. $30 for a Bolt Cutter in NYC this year at a store. Wouldn't make that particular purchase again, but don't really have a problem (philosophically) paying that much or more for the right beer. I don't buy bottles at bars, though I could see splurging on something expensive and vintage.

14. I paid $33 for a 22oz bottle of Lonerider Pistols at Dawn while we were out partying one night at a bar. It seemed like a good idea, until I woke up next morning and I was hungover and didn't remember a damn thing from drinking it.

gcamparone likes this.
  15. scud

scud Savant (335) Indiana Sep 22, 2010

"Won" the opportunity to buy a BA DL this past year and got the cognac muerte for $50

16. 7clutch

7clutch Savant (255) Florida Sep 14, 2012

That must have resulted in the angriest and most ill-advised drain pour ever. :eek:

TastyIsBeer and Rizalini like this.
  17. Rizalini

Rizalini Savant (345) Nevada Jan 20, 2011

I shuttered a litttle when I read that :confused:

gcamparone likes this.
  18. 7clutch

7clutch Savant (255) Florida Sep 14, 2012

I had a pour of this for $8. Not even worth that. Nothing more than a novelty. Don't do it to yourself, even if you see it somewhere at half the price.

DangerDawg and Hamburgers like this.
  19. Zomer is awesome - best one was Lente followed by Winter / Zomer / Herfst (only one mearly very good :)
    I expect Winter to age better than Lente, Winter is also Armand's favorite. If you get the bottle to snag a 2002 or 2003 3F Oude geuze Vintage go for it, even at that price because I had recently tops even Blauw & Lente.

20. The original batch of Tactical Nuclear Penguin was a real beer brewed to be ice-bocked but they did it like the worst way imaginable, shipping it to an ice-cream factory. These days they just use failed batches of every dark beer to make, it costs them 1 £ to make a bottle, explains the quality. I sort of liked it but it is not worth the price.

21. BOTTLE: $50 for a Murda'd Out Stout
    BAR: $60 for The Bruery Pinotlambicus

AbeFroman likes this.
  22. For me $40.00 for Rare. Haven't opened mine yet but have had it. Worth every penny IMO!

23. Envelopes

Envelopes Initiate (0) Ohio Aug 26, 2012

$23 for a 375ml 3F Golden Blend. I haven't opened it yet but I don't regret it.

dap325 likes this.
  24. $70 for 50N-4E at a bar

MykelJH likes this.
  25. atoulouk

atoulouk Savant (400) Indiana Apr 25, 2011

$50 for Rare. Have not opened it yet, but can say that I will not do it again. I cant see myself spending more than $25 to get a beer that I've already had.

26. $90 Westy brick

27. Yeah, I think if I came across someone with a bottle of 02 or 03 OGV, I'd do my best to convince it's owner to part ways :)

28. 110$ for 3 liter bottle of 2 year old mad elf, would do it again!

On the opposite, 17$ for 30 pack of bud light cans, wouldnt dare do it again!

alex_hart and gcamparone like this.
  29. Billolick

Billolick Champion (800) New York Dec 20, 2003

Pretty sure it was the 88 bucks I spent on a westy 12 "brick" (six pack of 11.2 oz bottles plus two glasses) just before christmas this yr.

30. Pretty new to collecting. Glad to read all you folks say how FiftyFifty is good
    but not worth the money. I think my one bottle Evan Willimiams 12 will do.
    Almost bought several others.

31. $25 for Lost Abbey Red Poppy Ale. Definitely would buy it again

32. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

I had never paid more than $10 for any bottle. Until I saw 6 bottles of Bourbon County Coffee at a random store last week at $19.99. I bought them all along with two Big Johns and would do it again

TastyIsBeer likes this.
  33. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

Ugh I just bought two WWS and haven't tried them yet. Maybe better with age?

34. 23 bills for bk black ops bomber and 20 bucks for goose island bourbon county coffee stout. Worth every penny!!

35. $17 for a Supplication. Well worth it but I can get it for $12 somewhere else.

36. Westvleteren 12 :D

A big deal for me, because I don't buy much beer since returning to school. I just haven't got the money for much else, nowadays.

37. I paid somewhere between 35-40 GBP ($57-$66) for a bottle of Tactical Nuclear Penguin. I don't think I would do it again. I have paid 6 quid (about $10) for 25mL Sink the Bismarck. I have been thinking about buying a bottle of it . . . . I think it is about $60 as well. That stuff is amazing.

38. Chewbacca

Chewbacca Initiate (0) Antarctica Jan 22, 2013

I paid 100 credits for a bottle of Jawa beer aged in Kashyyykan Whisky Barrels at Mos Eisley Cantina on Tatooine once. Best beer ever.

Hatzilla and craigo19 like this.
  39. robboyd

robboyd Savant (295) Indiana Aug 7, 2011

2x BA Dark Lords and Murda'd Out stout - all $50. At some point I'm going to start hoping I don't win the golden ticket because I just can't help myself when I do win it.