1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Most expensive / valuable beer you have see

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by rvajohn, Jan 6, 2013.

1. rvajohn

rvajohn Aficionado (245) Virginia Nov 22, 2012

So with limited releases, people aging bottles, and the fact some beers are only available regionally, what are some crazy prices you have seen for such beers? Any kind of cellared beer that has gone up in value exponentially after "x" amount of years?
  2. rvajohn

...seen. not sure how to edit my original post.
  3. A place near me has some fruet still sitting on the shelf for $40
    Squidly likes this.
  4. Dope

Dope Advocate (545) Massachusetts Oct 5, 2010

Well, Utopias is a good start. $160 this year.

Unless you're talking Ebay prices, which are just a little inflated...

Dope
  5. TurdFurgison

TurdFurgison Champion (775) Ohio May 29, 2005

Moeder Lambic has had some memorable prices. 250 euros for Millenium Gueuze in 2010.
    Hotmetal1 likes this.
  6. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (475) Florida May 29, 2011

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. 6 pack sells for $7.99, but it's invaluable. I'd take it over any ridiculous $200 bottle of Blaeber any day.
  7. Pecan

Pecan Savant (410) California Dec 20, 2012

Saw an older vintage of Utopias priced at $600. I'm guessing that will sit there for a while.
  8. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (440) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

If you don't include the ridiculously expensive rarities like Allsop's Arctic Ale I don't think you'll find anything that tops the 2 bottles of HOTD Dave that sold for over $2,000 each last November.
    m4ttj0nes likes this.
  9. AxesandAnchors

AxesandAnchors Savant (300) Oregon Nov 21, 2012

2008 Lost Abbey Angel's Share - $67.00. I wanted to buy it so bad, and I have a history of buying plenty of beer on impulse, but I just couldn't justify that much.
  10. mynie

mynie Advocate (685) Indiana Jun 22, 2004

Mikkeller charges a dollar an ounce for stale, middling beer.
    ant880, oldp0rt, Rau71 and 11 others like this.
  11. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

595 Kroner for a bottle of Loerik was pretty steep.
  12. yikes. That isn't a beer i will be trying anytime soon.
  13. Not to mention it's most likely flat. The store should tack on a additional $10 for carbonation insurance on that one.
  14. Funny that you made the same spelling error as this guy: http://www.newlifeauctions.com/allsopp.html
    cnbrown313 and JxExM like this.
  15. rvajohn

So what made that HOTD so pricey?
  16. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

It's the most desired and non-acquirable beer on the planet.
  17. Probably the Atomic Penguin (~$90-95) and Sam Adams Utopia (~$180-200).
  18. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

Would you really want to try it? At that price, unless the glass of beer gives you a full-on hallucinatory orgasm, it probably wasn't worth the $.
    Jfriz25, tacosandbeer and TheTinDoor like this.
  19. If someone gave me a free taste sure. I could start planning a trip to belgium to visit breweries with 2000 big ones!
  20. My buddy bought a bottle of drie fonteinen J&J blue for $100 on Zwanze day this year
    CityofBals likes this.
  21. Just seen a bottle of Barrel Aged Old Ruffian going for 42.99$
    2009 bottle of kbs for 20$
    2010 120 minute for 25$
  22. stealth

stealth Advocate (535) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

Are we talking store prices only, or private online sales? I terribly desire a bottle of RR's Deviation, and have seen it listed online for 225-250$. Wish I had the ammo to trade for it.

That being said, the craft beer hobby is weird in that, unlike other hobbies, if you have $$ you can get what you want - that doesn't seem to be exactly the case with craft beer - at least the rare, limited, and vintage stuff. I can't exactly go out and buy a bottle of Rodenbach Alexander, although I would in a heart beat if I saw one for sale, yanno? Sorry for the off-tangent ramble. lol.
    Pecan likes this.

23. I believe I read about this and it was a charity auction. Corrrect me if im wrong
  24. rvajohn

All this being said, are people buying up certain beers as an investment? Is anyone buying certain beers right now hoping to get a nice return on them down the road? This is a curiosity thing. I don't have, money, time, space or desire to buy beer and sit on them to make $X
  25. Utopias for sure. $175 at stores near me as we speak. I will say this though, I got to sample it at Beervana back in October and it was awesome. I was expecting the hype train, driven by foolish engineers, to crash into the "Mount Let-Down." But it didn't it was amazing.

With that said.....$175 is steep. As good as it is, I wouldn't pull the trigger. Additionally, big props to Beervana who let me get a sample of that just for the price of the ticket to the fest (which was otherwise already awesome).
    sirtomtom likes this.
  26. lurchingbeast

What I hear is the same guy bought both bottles of Hair of the Dog Dave, and will be drinking them with friends and other BA's.

Holding onto beer hoping it accrues monetary value is against the spirit of the hobby, IMO.
    SpeedwayJim and rolltide8425 like this.
  27. jrcmlc

jrcmlc Savant (280) Illinois Aug 8, 2011

I ACTUALLY BOUGHT a new anniversary utopias from halftime for $249. I got a $25 gift certificate and they gave $50 to charity I think, so it was alright by me, as nobody near me has any allocation for it. That tops my most expensive single ever bought. :-/
    Pecan likes this.
  28. rvajohn

I agree and hate to think enthusiast would buy up beer to do that. I'd have to imagine that there are those out there that do it.
    Pecan likes this.
  29. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (725) California Oct 2, 2006

If anyone here is buying beer as speculation or an investment, then I have some land on Mars that I'd like to sell you.
  30. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (360) New York Jul 16, 2011

I can't imagine spending hundreds on a beer... would take all enjoyment out of it. The most expensive I bought was the mikkeller weasel beer geek brunch. Something like $15 for a tiny bottle was outrageous enough!
  31. Helped drink a 5 Squared at our Christmas tasting and I drank a Drie Fontain Hommage at the Deliruim Cafe in Brussels.
  32. calcnerd

calcnerd Savant (410) Pennsylvania Oct 26, 2009

Brewdog The End of History...they're somewhere around $800 and come with a taxidermy squirrel lol
  33. Stone's 02-02-02 - Sellers market, and that is if you can even find one. I saw the unopened set 02 through 011 last year for $990. The 02 alone was $350.
  34. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (440) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

You're right. It was a charity auction held during his anniversary dock sale back in November. All the money went to a group that trains guide dogs for blind people.
    time4lunch likes this.
  35. psykosis

psykosis Savant (320) Indiana May 21, 2009

Utopia probably.

Of more standard beers, I think Bolt Cutter at $25 was the highest around here (northern MI).

36. Thank god! For a minute i thought somevody would pay that for a glass full. We all love beer of all kinds but WOW! The cause was ligit though more power to him..
  37. Stoutish

Stoutish Zealot (90) California Jan 1, 2013

Stone Vertical Epic 02-02-02 listed right now on Craiglist (Inland-Empire, CA) for 500-800 a bottle. I think.there is an empty VE 02-02-02 going for around 150. I recently purchased a Magnum of the 12-12-12 for about 90 bucks. Going to cellar that one.
  38. ROBSTARR

ROBSTARR Savant (350) Michigan Aug 31, 2009

Theres a lot of beers out there that go for what people are willing to pay for it like Wooden Hell going for $500, the Barrel aged Dark Lords go for $200-$500 on ebay sometimes and I even seen one listed for a $1000 once. I tried to buy a bottle of Midnight Sun M once but it went over a $1000 and I just couldn't see spending that kinda cash for a beer. Even some of the earlier Bruery stuff goes for like $400-$700, its just who wants the bottles bad enough to pay out the ass for them.
  39. lurchingbeast

Assuming Dave wouldn't sell for $2200 if the proceeds went towards the "Line Alan Sprints' pocket" fund.

It just happens that Alan is a generous dude.
    ChrisPro and bgramer like this.