1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Most expensive / valuable beer you have see

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by rvajohn, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Some guy on craigslist trying to sell Boulevard Chocolate Ale for $900.

2. I think Rare Bourbon County was priced at $80-100 a few years ago. Thats about the most expensive I've seen.

3. shyhenry

shyhenry Aficionado (145) Virginia Oct 11, 2010

Fixed that for you.

Ruds, GrindFatherBob and luwak like this.
  4. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

I bought two 2008s marked at $50 each last year. I paid less with my nice guy discount...
    Opened one this summer...its was great but...trust me, you missed nothing....
    You can buy way better beers for $50

AxesandAnchors likes this.
  5. That would be the €180 Cantillon LH12 at Moeder Lambic Fontainas.

6. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

2010 WWS $19
    2010 KBS $22
    2012 Voodoo Donut $40

Not the highest per say but probably the highest inflation for a beer I've seen

7. GRG1313

GRG1313 Champion (815) California Jan 15, 2009

I'm not sure that the foregoing is even responsive to OP's point. However, since it was raised....

Let's see.....

Ford / Ferrari?
    Chevy / Maserati?
    Camry / SL550?

Oh! Now I get it! Sierra Nevada Pale Ale / Cantillon Blaeber! Makes perfect sense!

oldp0rt likes this.
  8. There is an inherent difference between "expensive" and "valuable". Take one of the lottery BA DL's, and you pay what, 50 bucks for it? Not nearly as expensive as a shelf Utopia, but it may very well be a more valuable beer.

9. That guy must be a real tool

10. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

The most expensive beer (MSRP, not black market value, charity sales, or marked up by a store) I've seen:

[​IMG]

Brewdog - The End of History
    £700.00. 11 Bottles total. Custom taxidermy packaging made from roadkill.

For that kinda money, I better be getting the one in a tophat:
    [​IMG]

iguenard, redblacks75 and fredmugs like this.
  11. huysmans

huysmans Savant (330) New Jersey Dec 5, 2007

I saw a Sink the Bismark for $125. Tall price to pay for a polarizing beer you might love or might hate. I would love to try it though.

12. DJButters

DJButters Savant (310) California Jun 23, 2010

Just drank a 2007 - flat. The 2006 I had though was quite good.

13. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

It was over $200 this year in Indiana.

14. WotanMitUns

WotanMitUns Aficionado (120) Alaska Dec 20, 2012

Saw a shot of Utopias for 12 bucks yesterday, that seemed pretty pricey

15. Other than Utopias, I've seen that XyuXyu beer on the shelf for $55 and some '02 and '03 Stone VE for $45 and $50.

16. I must admit, Ive been keeping up on multiple sets of Bruery's 12 Beers of Christmas in hopes of making a small fortune on the entire set in 2019 or shortly thereafter. Mind you, not a dozen sets, just one extra.

I understand the sentiment, but there are different angles to all "collecting" hobbies. It's hard to ignore the possibility of a return down the line. It almost crosses the line into "entitlement" territory. Kind of like, "I worked hard to acquire these, kept them in the proper conditions, and had the wherewithal to pick up an extra set other than the sets i got for myself to enjoy. Why not try and make a chunk of my money back?"

Let me say, however, that I'm not doing it with the mindset of this payoff being a necessity. If there is no market, I will gladly enjoy the extra set of bottles. Just, it would be nice to make a bit of money, while also hooking up another BA, or outside hobbyist, with a set of bottles they would otherwise have no way of acquiring themselves, let alone storing properly for 12 years.

Not a habit of mine, just a one-off interest in scoring a windfall to further progress my beer hobby.

tacosandbeer and rvajohn like this.
  17. I remember a Cantillon Festbeer made with gooseberrys sold on Ebay about a year back for approximately $1650. That's the highest I've seen.

18. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (495) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Highest in price I have technically seen was the End of History as that retailed for 500 pounds.

Highest in rarity were Soleil du Minuit and 1999 Framboos (numbers 2 and 4 on the white whale list :p)

CityofBals likes this.
  19. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

At a small local liquor store the employee busted out a Utopias 10th Anniversary, and it had a price tag of 230.99. It was neat to see the bottle, but I'd never pay that. haha!

20. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

I was just going to mention Allsopp's Arctic Ale. No idea what it was worth, but I got to taste some from the 1870's.

21. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

Assuming that's a 2 oz. shot that's way under MSRP and a hell of a deal. Most places that offer Utopias by the shot charge upwards of $20 for a 2 oz. pour.

22. Dirty Horse at Ebenezer's Belgian Beer Fest was $10/oz. if you won the chance to buy a pour.

23. WotanMitUns

WotanMitUns Aficionado (120) Alaska Dec 20, 2012

Well damn, maybe I should have gotten it.

24. Dope

Dope Advocate (545) Massachusetts Oct 5, 2010

Ouch, that sucks.

Dope

25. POTABLE83

POTABLE83 Savant (410) New York Jun 21, 2012

Akkurat?

CityofBals likes this.
  26. RDMII

RDMII Savant (315) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

Biggest I paid was $104.99 for a Bismarck. But I've seen a whole lot higher online for all kinds of things.

27. deadbody

deadbody Savant (340) Minnesota May 10, 2010

Who the hell raped you that hard for a Rogue Voodoo Donut??? Jesus that shit was like $15 here, and it sat on shelves for a while.

Whoever did that owes you the goddamn common courtesy of a reach-around at least.

Dannywhitewash likes this.
  28. 3 Floyd's last month had their Barrel Aged Baller Stout (I think it's called Murda'd Stout?) for $50 a bomber. I splurged for the barrel aged Alpha Klaus once and felt retarded spending $35.

29. fhyden

fhyden Aficionado (190) Florida Sep 4, 2012

Wait. What? It's still on the shelves here. You know it's a great beer when the the distributor requires to you order a minimum of five cases.

30. I bought two bottles of MoaS for $35.99 each. My girlfriend was shocked but she's cool so she didn't try to talk me out of it or give me shit for it. But that's my limit. I will never pay more than that for a single bottle unless I'm splitting it with someone. I don't care if it's DLD and it's $40 for each of the different variations. It's just too much.

31. Rau71

Rau71 Initiate (0) California Dec 12, 2011

You mean imagination land? He doesn't have a brwery and he has brewed stuff here in the US which was still over-priced and under-whelming.

32. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

I didn't buy any of the beers for those prices..because I would demand the reach around

Arodnum1 and deadbody like this.
  33. Outside of ridiculous online prices, probably $200 for Utopias. I've seen some Italian beers on shelves for $50-60, and Scaldis Prestige de Nuits sells for around $45.

34. Case of Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA, we have for $200.00 a case. We also have Victory's Oak Horizontal for $175.49.

35. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

Xyauyu, and I want to see it on shelves. Anywhere.

Etan likes this.
  36. A store by my house a few years ago had some of the copper, for around $53. I haven't seen it since, however.

37. shyhenry

shyhenry Aficionado (145) Virginia Oct 11, 2010

I'm aware of how Mikkeller's organized.

I'm pointing out that Mikkeller ultimately has little say in what price their beer sells for to consumers. Also, if someone drinks a product that isn't fresh, it's really the fault of the distributor and/or the shop that's selling the beer. After all, beer's fresh when it leaves the brewery. Saying that Mikkeller sells overly-expensive, stale beer strikes me as simplistic statement that ignores most of the participants in the chain between brewer and customer.

If you don't like Mikkeller's beer, then that's a completely separate issue. To each his own. The guy's prolific. He doesn't get it right every time, sure, but I think some of his stuff is absolutely fantastic.

38. bgramer

bgramer Savant (335) Washington Feb 10, 2006

I wouldn't pay $67 for a flat beer either.

39. ChrisPro

ChrisPro Savant (365) Illinois Oct 16, 2009

Unless it was a flat Cherry Adam magnum

40. I have a bottle of Sam Adams Utopia limited 2009 edition #12421, what's it worth?