1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Most inconsistent beer you've had?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BigBarley, Apr 4, 2013.

1. BigBarley

BigBarley Member

Which beer have you had multiple times that is always different, batch for batch? Whether it's just a minor inconsistency in taste, or whether it's noticeable inconsistencies in other aspects, I'm just interested to hear about people having vastly different experiences with the same beer.

For me, it's Boulevard's Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale... delicious every time, but almost completely different each batch.
  2. Scotchboy

Scotchboy Member

Hopslam immediately comes to mind, year in and year out. Of course, its usually a year in between tastings too, so maybe its really more similar than I think! :D
  3. tectactoe

tectactoe Member

Fantome anything.
  4. Immortale25

Immortale25 Member

That makes me feel better because I had it for the first time recently and it didn't wow me like I was hoping it would.
  5. Onizilla

Onizilla Member

The one and only answer.
  6. MetalMountainMastiff

MetalMountainMastiff Member

It's only happened twice...but Ten Fidy tasting metallic...And when it happens it's every beer in the pack..and it's vile!!
  7. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Member

Death
    By
    Hops

Goes from world class to overboiled hops to an unbalanced mess.
    commis and KhakCane like this.
  8. BigBarley

BigBarley Member

Honestly the first one didn't wow me either. I stopped drinking them outta the fridge, if you let it warm up to almost room temperature before you start sipping, it's generally a better experience.
    Just don't give up on it til you give it a second chance. My second try of it made me a believer.
  9. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Member

Hair of the Dog Blue Dot

/thread
    rob133, bifrost17 and udubdawg like this.
  10. Rekrule

Rekrule Member

Smuttynose Finest Kind.
    Svendozen, Robtobfest and --Dom-- like this.
  11. WorldWideStout

WorldWideStout Member

CBS!

Had it on tap, and it was pretty good, though not too maple-y. Had it on tap again, and it was full of maple goodness and absolutely divine. Had it from a bottle (obviously I expected at least a little difference) and it was more roasty than either time before. Recently had it on tap again, and it had plenty of maple, but was also sour.
    tarheels86 likes this.
  12. Swik

Swik Member

Local brewery Mad Anthonys has a pretty well distributed line (pale, ipa, blonde, lager) in northeast Indiana and their ipa ranges from wonderful to horrible. At its best its a well balanced hoppy ipa, at its worst (homebrewers please help me define) it tastes like spoiled yogurt or milk, just a nasty dairy taste. Sucks cuz I can get a sixer for 7 bucks for a craft ipa that's wonderful, but with the inconsistency I usually just pass on it.
  13. ToddThompson

ToddThompson Member

Where are you finding it on tap? I must move there
    getinked and BigBarley like this.
  14. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Member

More importantly, what's the dates on these tastings?
  15. lic217

lic217 Member

Ten Penny Ale
  16. Onizilla

Onizilla Member

Just to further add to this. There is no other #1 answer than Fantome but Hair of the Dog beers are a beautiful second place.
    cavedave and tectactoe like this.
  17. WeymouthMike

WeymouthMike Member

Nugget nectar
    KhakCane and Whimpers like this.
  18. IMSPEAKNOENGLISH

IMSPEAKNOENGLISH Member

Rayon vert. Some great and some like paint thinner.
    SSEngelbrecht likes this.
  19. ao125

ao125 Member

Duchesse de Bourgogne. Some batches are cloyingly sweet, some batches are really sour and funky. No two cases are the same.

I'd call Hypeslam inconsistent, but it seems to be getting consistently worse as time goes by.
  20. bubseymour

bubseymour Member

I think we need to caviat the responses to make sure we note to not include inconsistencies due to age in bottle particularly hoppy beers.
    BigBarley likes this.
  21. BigBarley

BigBarley Member

Yeah, I just kinda meant batch by batch, noticeable flavor differences. I know that infection and older IPAs aren't going to taste the same as a fresh one, but I meant batch by batch inconsistencies. Course, I guess most saisons and lambics (and anything else with spontaneous fermentation) will be high up on the list.

One that I noticed is pretty inconsistent for the style is Hop Stoopid. Then again, I could be falling victim to the dreaded STALE STOOPID that so many people have warned against.
  22. fredmugs

fredmugs Member

Hopslam. Last year was my first time having it and I fell in love. This year the first 6er I had it tasted really, for lack of a better word, thick. Had it at a local craft bar on draft and it tasted the same. Last weekend I went to Bell's and it tasted completely different (not thick) and more like I remembered from last year.
  23. Its understandable that some sour beers like Fantome and Duchesse will change due to secondary fermentation of the yeast in the bottle. On top of that it depends on how they acquire their bacteria, because if it is wild then even the time of year comes into play.

There is a local brewer in Vancouver called Storm Brewing that makes a beer called Black Plague Imperial Stout. Batch to batch it is really inconsistent because sometimes it tastes like chocolate, other times coffee and other times roasted flavours... Makes me wonder if he switches up the grain bill.

I know that Central City's Red Racer (Red Betty) Imperial IPA has switched hops a few times as well. Frustrating because I thought the first iteration of the beer was the best.
  24. bifrost17

bifrost17 Member

For me Pliny seems to vary quite a bit, it's always good, but some batches just taste a little better than others.
  25. Most things by Brewdog
    BigBarley and Syracuse12 like this.
  26. beercanman

beercanman Member

Hopslam
    Grohnke likes this.
  27. Pahn

Pahn Member

maybe hair of the dog adam and fred. both are world class when they're on, but kind of meh when off. fred way more likely to be off than adam; adam has a hard time not being completely delicious.

also, anything by fantome.
  28. beercanman

beercanman Member

I love mad ants. The raspberry is hit and miss, but when its hit. It is one of my favorite beers.
  29. mciocco

mciocco Member

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Fantome. Pretty much applies to all their beers, but even the straight up regular saison - sometimes super lemony and tart, sometimes super earthy funk with no tartness at all, sometimes somewhere inbetween. For the other varieties, I'm pretty sure the recipes change from year to year, so that's also part of it, but still... Fantome is pretty much the definition of inconsistent (though, strangely, that seems to be part of the allure).
  30. Ranbot

Ranbot Member

Sierra Nevada Celebration...it has less spices every year.
  31. luisfrancisco

luisfrancisco Member

I'd never heard of this brewery, but I had this beer at GABF and thought something was just plain wrong with the beer. It's good to know it was not me. I don't distinctly remember yogurt, but definitely something very weird.
  32. luisfrancisco

luisfrancisco Member

Good to hear, I love me some sour red flanders, and had Duchesse only once. It was unbearably sweet and I decided never to try it again. Perhaps I will give it another go sometime.
    LambicPentameter likes this.
  33. Swik

Swik Member

Its strange man, that's for sure. They are definetly lesser known sometimes they surprise the hell outta me, their anniversary ale is amazing. But shit even on tap at the brewpub the ipa is hit n miss. I don't know if they just have a severe lack of quality control or what but batch to batch I have no idea what to expect.
  34. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Member

Earlier forms of Weyerbacher.
  35. xnicknj

xnicknj Member

Celebration Ale, bc it gets less hoppy each and every year.
    Cerebus likes this.
  36. Whimpers

Whimpers Member

+1 for Nugget Nectar...
    KhakCane likes this.
  37. Grohnke

Grohnke Member

my vote goes to hopslam
    KhakCane likes this.
  38. Zimbo

Zimbo Member

BrewDog Punk IPA (5.6% ABV). It takes inconsistency to the outer nethers of the beer universe.
  39. Rekrule

Rekrule Member

That is a consistency.
  40. OddNotion

OddNotion Member

What do you mean by "overboiled hops"?