1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Most Interesting Beer You've Had

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by hoptualBrew, Feb 18, 2013.

1. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (485) Florida May 29, 2011

Throw a beer at me! Not literally, but name a beer that sticks out in your mind as the most interesting and unique beer you've ever had.

Mine would be Fraoch Vintage Cask No. 22 by Williams Brothers Brewing Company.. crazy mix of an Imperial Heather ale aged in Scotch barrels from Auchentoshan. Highly recommended if you can get your hands on some.

RobertColianni likes this.
  2. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

I'd say the most complex - that is myriad of taste and mouth feel has to be a tie betwix

Goudenband by Liefmans
    Duchesse de Bourgogne by Verhaeghe

dvb likes this.
  3. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

de Viento by Jolly Pumpkin.

YogiBeer likes this.
  4. Theakston Old Peculiar and Boulevard/Pretty Things Stingo were both unique and similar.

5. mudbug

mudbug Savant (490) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Bitter Monk by Anchorage. I defy anyone to name a beer like it (I've asked and got no responses before)

6. Alilley

Alilley Aficionado (110) Georgia Dec 23, 2010

7. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Not only like it, but better, was Super Friends, by Ithaca. Like it, but not as good, is Evil Twin Femme Fatale Bretta.

RobertColianni and WagonCircler like this.
  8. mudbug

Wow! I would love to try that, I loved Bitter Monk. Thanks! EDIT: BOOO! Retired beer.

9. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

<3 Super Friends

WagonCircler likes this.
  10. The first one that came to mind for me was Ballast Point Indra Kunindra. It wasn't something I particularly loved, but it was absolutely intriguing, and I felt the execution was outstanding (even though it wasn't flavors I would particularly go for usually).

abcentfishing and mookihouse like this.
  11. VeganUndead

VeganUndead Advocate (645) Virginia Apr 25, 2012

Lambrucha

belgian lambic brewed with kombucha tea, kinda tasted like pickle juice.

12. mattafett

mattafett Savant (465) Iowa Mar 9, 2009

Trinity Double Rainbow
    "Interesting" to say the least. Yikes.

13. Prh27

Prh27 Savant (310) Virginia Apr 24, 2012

BB Dexi (Zymatore) from Borrificio Barley . An english barleywine w/ wild yeast and aged in whiskey and pinot noir barrels.

Tons of crazy things going on in that one, but it was delicious.

westcoastbeerlvr likes this.
  14. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Just had a crazy beer from Peekskill Brewery called World's End, which is a tart yeasty, hop bomb, coffee forward blast of intensity that is complex, interesting, and mind blowing.

Gosox8787 likes this.
  15. mudbug

Not in a good way was Rogue's Voodo Bacon Grease Donut Abomination

16. Freigeist abraxxxas
    L'amoureuse rouge no.2 by brasserie trios dames

westcoastbeerlvr likes this.
  17. BA and BJCP Master trevorjn06 brewed and ancient Egyptian beer last year that was quite intriguing.

18. Kiwi Rising. Such fresh new zealand hops... of you I'll be dreaming til next year...

DrewCapzz likes this.
  19. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Savant (460) Ohio Feb 14, 2010

Fantome saison. Tastes like fruity bubblegum and pepper in a good way.

ant880 and SadMachine like this.
  20. Not quite a year should be in November, also heard from Dan that PT Meadowlark should be out in July and be year round after that.

21. DIM

DIM Advocate (715) Pennsylvania Sep 28, 2006

22. AdamP, Stormfield and jlordi12 like this.
  23. beerindex

beerindex Savant (295) Missouri Jun 18, 2007

Trinity Double Rainbow. The single most complex beer I've ever had.

24. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Washington Dec 15, 2010

Ale Apothecary Sahalie.

Most interesting and very, very good.

25. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (950) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

26. Founders Curmudgeon's Better Half. bourbon, sweet, maple. wish it was brewed instead grumpy ol' curmudgeon

CubsJedi likes this.
  27. Homebrewing buddy made the final four of Sam Adams' Longshot competition in 2011 with a Colonial Ale that included, among other ingredients, three pounds of Raisin Bran, molasses, smoked powdered malt, and licorice root. He then aged the beer in Madeira barrels. All things considered, it was quite understated and drinkable.

http://blogs.ajc.com/drink/2011/07/20/beer-town-homebrewers-and-craft-brewers/

Providence, mecummins and RockAZ like this.
  28. First off, mad props for the pimped out Statler and Waldorf avatar^

Now in regard to the thread, I'd have to say DFH Pangaea. Really great concept and execution, very complex. I only had it once on tap but I'd love to find a bottle.

29. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Savant (355) Alabama Jan 23, 2013

I'd have to say Anchor Porter. It's very complex and has distinct trappist notes, which I've never experienced in a porter before.

30. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Aficionado (240) Illinois Mar 31, 2011

28 posts and no one says the "most interesting" beer is Dos Equis? I'm impressed.

Lagunitas had a Gueuze that was fascinating to me, because I thought it was WAY better than they'd be able to pull off. I'm a fan, but I see them as a hoppy beer company and a producer of high quality daily drinkers... high output. For them to have done a Gueuze that was so tasty was a testament to their abilities.

They also had a warrior dry hopped cask version of one of their IPAs that was so tremendously homebrew tasting, and utterly perfect for the specific day we were there, that I guess I'm writing them a little love letter here, fanboy style.

Three Floyds has done some souring of dark beers on cherries that had gone truly WEIRD, while still sort of tasting great. I found that interesting. I could see it being worthwhile to homebrew a stout or porter, dump 3 gal on cherries and try to consume it all before it goes from weird to "what have I done?"

31. I'd go with 3:
    Fantome Magic Ghost
    JP Madrugada Oscura
    GI Fleur

32. Fantome Hiver....very smoked taste for what is advertised as a Saisson

SadMachine likes this.
  33. A recent one for me is a beer called Bracia by Thornbridge Brewery in the UK. I thought I knew what leather and tobacco tasted like in a beer until I had this. Wow. Think of a really intense HotD Adam. Definitely one of the most interesting (and not in a Voodoo Doughnut kind of way) beer experiences I have ever had.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13029/49186/?ba=illidurit

34. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Advocate (550) Florida Sep 13, 2011

Brooklyn Conconction. Definitely interesing!

35. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

36. k_rhodes

k_rhodes Disciple (65) Indiana Dec 29, 2012

Rogue Voodoo Bacon Maple Turd Ale definitely a most interesting in a bad way, but Flat12 Wine Barrel Aged Half Cycle IPA definitely a most interesting in a good way.

Cuvee des Jacobins Rouge also a crazy interesting sour.
    Can't leave out Dark Lord '12 either.

37. Mamouche
    Peated Embrasse
    Apple brandy huna

38. RockAZ

RockAZ Savant (320) Arizona Jan 6, 2009

Bandersnatch Brewpub in Tempe years ago had this Chocolate Cherry Stout brewed for Valentines Day. I went there often in those days, and popped in for a pint at the bar in the late afternoon just as they were getting a real rush of people coming in and I was served quickly by the bartender doing 6 things at once. I spat the beer all over my shirt and had the greenest look on my face from the roughest bitterest chocolate water taste when the bartender said " Oh sorry, you have to have one of these first". He shoves the box of those chocolate covered cherries, the kind with the gooey clear syrup inside. Ah, that much of a sugar coating on the tongue brought that beer right around, awesome flavor but don't run out of those candies.

39. Lake Erie Monster is a really interesting brew.

dan027 and thousandfoldthought like this.
  40. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

This will change 6 times, but after 11 seconds of thought, love child number two was really cool.