1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Most Interesting Beer You've Had

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by hoptualBrew, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Breckenridge Agave Wheat on cask with elderberries and orange tea. Definitely off the beaten path but quite delicious.

2. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

BA Abraxas, cedar aged jai alai with peaches (can't say enough about this beer), and decade+ old Iris all come to mind as things that don't taste/smell like anything else.

3. Prh27

Prh27 Savant (310) Virginia Apr 24, 2012

I was thinking the same thing! I immediately looked online in hopes of finding some, to no avail.

4. Beefytits4

Beefytits4 Savant (485) Illinois Nov 2, 2011

5. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Savant (400) Texas Dec 24, 2012

Funk Metal, Mint Chocolate Stout

6. RichD

RichD Advocate (715) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

I am drinking a Southern Tier Creme Brulee stout as I type this. Definitely the most interesting beer I've had. A little sweet.

craftpunk likes this.
  7. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,110) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Easily the Bud select 55. It's amazing that anyone can make something with so little flavor, and yet still call it beer. It even looks a bit like beer. Amazing...

BigBarley likes this.
  8. had a DFH immort ale the other night, definitely a lot going on with that flavor wise...very odd but in a good way. while it had the presence of a strong ale it reminded me of a barley wine which is awesome but the taste of maple and vanilla was definitely strange for this type of beer IMO

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/64/199

9. dbc5

dbc5 Savant (455) Ohio Jun 18, 2009

For me BA Abraxas.

10. ShameAndFailure

ShameAndFailure Savant (305) Texas Mar 26, 2009

Funk Metal. Barrel aged stout with Brett. Holy hell.

11. Thedrizzle

Thedrizzle Savant (455) Florida Sep 10, 2012

At a beer festival I got the ugh.... Pleasure to try a homebrew brewed with Mountain Dew. Awful.

12. Westbrook Lichenhainer....I like sour beers and I like smoke beers but not rolled into one. As far as for the complexity it was top notch but personally it was a drain pour.

13. I can hook you up with a properly cellared 03 Pangaea for a decent sour first off or something else you might think is fair.

14. craftpunk

craftpunk Disciple (55) Illinois Feb 6, 2013

Cognac Barrel Aged Dark Lord De Muerte. the way the heat from ancho and guajillo chili coats your mouth. amazing!

15. Smoked beer... My friends and I tried it at a beer joint, dont remember the brand but it tasted like smoked meat and was quickly dubbed "meat beer". Not my cup of tea but interesting none the less.

16. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (435) Texas Nov 21, 2008

A beer can be "interesting" for any number of reasons. It might be interesting because it is unique. In that sense, perhaps I might say "Quelque Chose" - probably comes to mind because I've been keeping an eye out for it lately and havent seen any.

17. rdilauro

rdilauro Savant (345) Connecticut Mar 8, 2010

With our a doubt, Dogfish Head Birra Estrusca Bronze

Nothing else to add. You have to try one before reading anything

18. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Kuhnhenns Ginger Cinnamon IPA. It should work but it shouldn't. I does work but you're almost surprised it does. The warmth and spiciness of the cinnamon and ginger really melded with a legit IPA.

19. The Bruery Fruet

thousandfoldthought likes this.
  20. Maybe not the most interesting ever but since I just drank it and it is different, a curry porter from earth eagle. It was tasty but One pint was enough. Still enjoyable.

21. Haandbakk or NEBCO's Gold Stock.

22. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Cigar City Cucumber Saison.

DaveAnderson and HumanParaquat like this.
  23. Most interesting beer? hm good question. These come to mind:
    Evil Twin Nurse Pepper (Sour Chile Stout)
    Great Lakes Wit's End (Lemongrass and Ginger Wit)
    Bull City Burger & Brewery Bountiful Backyard (Wet hopped Serrano pepper)
    Indigo Imp Jester (only because its from Cleveland and open fermented beers are abnormal)

24. planbee

planbee Savant (370) North Carolina May 28, 2009

Haandbryggeriet Dark Force
    Mikkeller Mexas Ranger
    DFH Bitches Brew
    Terrapin Liquid Bliss

Just that come immediately to mind.

25. Cee-Poe

Cee-Poe Aficionado (240) Wisconsin Feb 12, 2013

Péché Mortel is a beer that evolves so amazingly in the mouth from start to finish... Definatly the most interesting beer I've had that hasn't included an ingredient that, on its own merit, is different.

checktherhyme likes this.
  26. Kill Ugly Radio by Lagunitas.

27. Hitachino Extra High (XH) - the beer is aged in shochu barrels

LambicPentameter likes this.
  28. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (445) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

Ghost Face Killah was really interesting and hot...

29. Ballast Point did a Habanero Sculpin IPA this past fall. It was INSANELY weird! Had it on draft in Asheville NC. Everything you would expect from the nose of a Sculpin and first two seconds of the mouthfeel were normal and all of a sudden BOOM with spicy habanero. Burns all the way down the back of the throat.

30. I may be alone on this...but I love Ballast Point Indra Kunindra...A foreign export stout brewed with coconut, curry, cayenne pepper, cumin, and kaffir lime leaves. I bought a case. Once a month, I enjoy the shit out of a bottle...

Zimm likes this.
  31. Some memorable ones:

Twisted Pine Ghost Face Killah
    Cascade Honey Ginger Lime
    Mama Mia Pizza Beer
    Abraxas

32. NYCBUCKEYE

NYCBUCKEYE Savant (255) New York Jan 21, 2013

Scored a few tired hands beers this weekend - Guillemot Nebula is one of the most interesting beers I've ever tried. Overall, I enjoyed it quite a bit.

33. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (470) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

I thought (and I'm probably going to get some flak for this since a lot of people seem to loathe it on here) the Creme Brulee stout from Southern Tier was pretty damn interesting, and also quite tasty. Sure it was really sweet, but I drank the bomber I bought no problem. Really unique beer.

34. I came here to say this. Smells like a saison, tastes like a cucumber. I opened one on Darkness Day, and friends took pictures of the bottle so they could remember to look for it. Fantastic and unique beer.

35. I couldn't have this discussion without thinkin about The Duchesse. It really hooked me on craft beers specifically because of its interesting ever changing flavor.

36. Since I do not consider "interesting" to be a pejorative term, i would have to say the jasmine ipa from elysian. Considering the setting, situation and overall novelty of the beer in a time when few beers deviated from the normal for me, it was a refreshing suprise. I am since no longer shocked by any ingredient in beer, so I actually find few beers "interesting" anymore.

37. atomic

atomic Savant (445) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

Fleur weird? I thought it was incredible, but not particularly weird. I have two left from 2011, waiting to see what age does. Found them in wisconsin last summer for $9 a 4pk having never tried fleur before. Only when I got home did I learn they had retired it. Honestly, probably the happiest beer purchase I've ever made. I see them sitting in my basement and smile every time. Such a shame I won't have the chance to buy them again.

edit: disregard what I said, I was reading this thread thinking people were posting weird beers... don't mind me, ill see myself out.

38. mudbug

mudbug Savant (490) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Truly the most oxymoronic beer on Earth. A beer brewed for people that hate beer.

39. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

I bought out a store of their stock of "oxidized and well past their prime" sweetened fruit lambics. 2005 De Boomgaarde Peche, 2005 St. Louis Peche, 2007 Liefmans Frambozenbier....stuff like that. Mostly drain pours but some are retired so they were shelf wales. Was cool to try all of those. '99 Le Coq stout and '94 SA triple bock were also rather interesting.

Ta Henket was a terrible mind fuck.

40. Hitachino Nest Red Rice Ale was pretty fantastic and interesting. A Belgian strong pale ale, but with definite undertones of it's Japanese origins and the rice grain base.

I also thought Green Flash/St. Feuillian Friendship Brew was interesting, but maybe not quite right. I didn't dislike it, but it was a little strange, a bit medicinal.