1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Most Interesting Beer You've Had

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by hoptualBrew, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Upright brewing/hop and vine bottle shop in Portland have this black Saison aged in rum barrels on black truffles...that was an interesting one to say the least.
  2. Sending a little love Orval's way.
  3. Ciocanelu

Ciocanelu Savant (460) Romania Aug 30, 2012

Baladin Nora. Lots of exotic spices, very complex.
  4. Chimayred

Chimayred Initiate (15) Feb 19, 2013

Any complex Belgian will do especially la becasse geueze
    Or frank boon offerings however the one in my data base
    That stands out is vermont pub and brewery's
    port & oak aged Tulach leis. Unbelievable.
  5. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

ACBF 2012- Lawson's Maple Tripple and pistachio beers
  6. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

I don't venture too far outside of my IPA / Belgium / Stout swim lane but the Shmaltz 16th Anniversary had a lot going on. I usually do not enjoy beers when they get up to about 12% but that one I did.
  7. dmfc906

dmfc906 Aficionado (130) Illinois Jul 2, 2010

Victory at Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter....just fantastic
    GI Dominique...only seen it at the brewpubs and at events, but not in a long time
    FFF Baller Stout...after about a year it was really tasting great, still have 2 bottles that I probably won't sit on for too much longer
  8. The Livery 5th Dimension http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/12547/49573 Not as good as Bitter Monk but it's a barrel aged Belgian Imp IPA. I had it on tap fresh and it was really good but the reviews of the bottles are pretty polarizing. Bitter Monk is an awesome brew though, a friend brought one to a tasting about a year ago and it stole the show.
  9. Anchorage Love Buzz.
    AptosBeerDrinker likes this.
  10. Narke Baver... Ass gland of a beaver served out of a urinal Yes please.
  11. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

It's why I find this beer so fascinating.

Granted, I've long since realized that there's pretty much nothing InBev-AB won't do for a buck, but this "beer" has me wondering "what next?" Beer flavored coolaide? Beer flavored tea?

I tried to think what AB was aiming at when they made BS 55, and like you, I reached the conclusion it's for people who really don't like the taste of beer. If I'm worried about calories, then the best solution is to completely avoid an alcohol based beverage. So why would I go with something like BS 55 (which is defined by it's lack of flavor and low, but still discernable, calories)? Go with a glass of water or diet coke. I've never seen anyone pounding down a bunch of this crap in a bar or restaurant. Even the few folks I've seen ordering BS 55, they usually just get the one and then order something else, or they tend to nurse the one or two that they order.

Years ago, my GF's daughter was in a sorority in college, and her (and her girl friends) beer of choice was bud light. I was trying to introduce them to craft beer at the time, but the stuff I provided them, they absolutely hated it. I was told that craft beer had way too much flavor, and even worse, that flavor just wouldn't go away after the first gulp. Bud light, I was told, was perfect, because the calories were low, the guys at most college and frat parties were happy to provide it, and the girls could look cool by showing everyone that they could drink right along with the guys. The GF's daughter indicated that she would usually drink just a couple at a party, and it wouldn't get her drunk and the flavor wasn't too annoying. At that point it dawned on me.... this is a young woman who really doesn't like the taste of beer (which she was quick to confirm).

BS 55 would have been perfect for the GF's daughter and her sorority sisters (even less flavor and less calories then BL), and is likewise perfect for anyone else who really doesn't like the taste of beer (but for some reason or another, needs to appear as if they do). That's fine I guess (though it does seem like a weird thing for a brewer to be making), but is there really that large a population of those folks out there? Enough to keep on making this crap?
  12. I'm a fan of Brooklyn Black Ops & New Holland Dragons Milk for interesting beer with flavors I enjoy separating and discovering.
    Dogfish Head Black & Red was an interesting beer because I wasn't expecting the flavor combination and aroma. It reminded me of mint chocolate chip ice cream.
  13. Never had Ozymandias, but CBC does so many interesting things. I love that place. Although some of their stuff isn't to my taste, I had something there this winter that blew me away. It was a BA beer called Higgs Boson. The first sip...wow. I was floored. I still think about it. So interesting and delicious. Here's a link to the description:

http://cambridgebrewing.com/beer/description/higgs-boson-barrel-aged/

P.S. - I gotta get over there for some Blunderbuss!
  14. mporter13

mporter13 Aficionado (170) Oregon Jul 13, 2011

Burnside Brewery really likes throwing crazy shit into beer. Sea Urchin beer is apparently a thing. Made with sea urchins, tomato water and sea salt. Surprisingly refreshing, actually.
  15. Acforster2

Acforster2 Aficionado (245) Florida Jan 17, 2011

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock tasted like the world burned down.
    Neorebel likes this.
  16. Flyway

Flyway Zealot (85) Wisconsin Oct 22, 2012

Fresh in the mind is the Lupulin Maximus from O'so I had last night. The whole hop cone in the bottle is what it is, but the taste was very unique for a IIPA. It had me puzzled throughout the entire glass. I think it had a heavy honey sweetness to it and heavy on the pine/resin notes, but again, just more of an odd beer than anything. Couldn't tell if I liked or disliked... as odd as that sounds.
    mecummins likes this.
  17. World Wide Stout
  18. Rohkey

Rohkey Savant (350) Michigan Jan 13, 2013

I'm no seasoned vet, but Delirium Tremens is probably the oddest, most interesting, beer I've had.
  19. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

While not an unusual beer, the first time I tired a peanut butter beer was at a local beer fest. At the time, I had never tried anything quite like it (and it was only offered there once every hour at the fest. I waited in tme 3x before I got to try it.) What made it interesting to me was that the brewer took the time to walk me through the process they used to brew it. Not 100% sold on whether I liked it or not, but at least I learned something.
  20. I've had the Märzen version, and it had the heavy aroma of smoked meat to accompany a smoky, roasty, malty tasting beer. I also have a bottle of the Weizen version in my fridge, but I haven't tried the Urbock style.

Smoked beers are something that sound like I would really like, but of the couple I've had thus far (Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen and Stone Smoked Porter) I wasn't blown away. Certainly not bad by any means, but just not beers that I'll be drawn back to over and over again.
  21. The BA Higgs Boson was amazing, Blunderbuss is on now.
    Stormfield likes this.
  22. Onizilla

Onizilla Aficionado (225) New York Apr 25, 2009

I'm gonna have to echo some love for CBC. Their sake/beer hybrid was delicious and complex to me although I may be biased as i love me some sake and drinking something that every part of my mind told me was beer but finished like a nice sake was awesome.
    http://cambridgebrewing.com/beer/description/banryu-ichi/
  23. mudbug

mudbug Savant (490) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Johnmicaelsen said:
    "BS 55 would have been perfect for the GF's daughter and her sorority sisters (even less flavor and less calories then BL), and is likewise perfect for anyone else who really doesn't like the taste of beer (but for some reason or another, needs to appear as if they do). That's fine I guess (though it does seem like a weird thing for a brewer to be making), but is there really that large a population of those folks out there? Enough to keep on making this crap?[/quote]"
    Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the typical American consumer.
  24. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Caution Brewing in Denver has made a few items that have been pretty wild.
    The flagship Lao Wang is a light lager made with rice and 8 Chinese spices.
    They have also made a green tea ale ("Green Tease") brewed with sake yeast and most recently a Chinese red pepper beer ("Snake Hug") bittered only using bitter melons.
  25. Odell Woodcut No. 4 - A barrel aged Marzen that was phenomal in every facet... Was my highest rated beer for a time... I'm salivating just thinking about it...
  26. RealTail 2012. What the fuck did I just put in my mouth?
  27. C2H5

C2H5 Savant (435) Illinois Jan 7, 2012

I thought that there was something really special about this stout, it was amazing![​IMG]
    dmfc906 likes this.
  28. Neorebel

Neorebel Savant (365) New Jersey Jun 29, 2005

DFH Noble Rot
    Saison Du Buff
    dan027 likes this.
  29. I thought Timmerman's pumpkin lamibcus was pretty unique and I actually kinda dug it. Sour pumpkin beats the pants off most pumpkin fall beers.
  30. What's the mystery? Just as BAs lionize the hoppiest of the hoppy, sourest of the sour, and the boldest of the bold, why wouldn't there be a group that wants the lightest of the light?
  31. My Blueberry Nightmare by Birrificio Del Ducato a stout brewed with hot chili, then aged for 2 years in oak barrels with blueberries. The smell was blueberry vinegar the taste was a sour, spicy stout. Not for everyone but I will never forget it.
  32. You forgot the funkiest of the funky. :cool:
    herrburgess likes this.
  33. Dirty25

Dirty25 Savant (350) Germany Jan 22, 2012

White Oak Jai Alai
  34. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

After thinking about it some more I would like to submit The Hideouts Dubble Bubble Double IPA. DIPA Dry Hopped with Dubble Bubble bubble gum. It tastes like juicy hop bubble gum. Seriously odd but seriously delicious.
  35. dan027

dan027 Savant (330) Pennsylvania Mar 28, 2011

Two that come to mind are Flying Dog/BrewDog International Arms Race and Brooklyn Black Ops. Arms Race was my first Scottish Gruit, I had never really tasted anything like that before, really odd and unexpected. Black Ops was fantastic but not really at all what I was expecting from a barrel aged stout.
  36. Evil Twin Disco Beer. Sample we tried tasted like A1 steak sauce.
  37. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (620) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Immortal Ale

Didn't like it though. Too much going on, and nothing actually tasty
  38. dvb

dvb Aficionado (170) Washington Apr 25, 2009

39. HenryD

HenryD Disciple (60) New York Feb 4, 2013

Conflux No. 1 (Collage) - Deschutes Brewery
  40. DanK4

DanK4 Aficionado (240) Maine Jan 17, 2012

A port barrel aged belgian-style Ancho-chile rauchbier from Brewery Vivant. Amazingly delicious and interesting in every way. I had to wrap my head around that beer before I could discern whether or not it was amazing- smokey and deep spice with bright sweet port up front.