1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Most Interesting Beer You've Had

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by hoptualBrew, Feb 18, 2013.

1. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Advocate (645) Michigan Nov 11, 2010

Cuvee des Jacobins Rouge....to this day one of my all time favorite beers. Such a surprising mix of sweet and sour, but unbeatable in drinkability.
    casuald and smitherz22 like this.
  2. Sneers

Sneers Savant (385) New Jersey Dec 27, 2009

I'm inclined to say Orval.
  3. weekapaug gruit http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/14/16083
    most Stillwater offerings,
    a handful of dogfish head offerings,

all the beers at our Buffalo BA Infected beer tasting....
    [​IMG]
    (Image about 1/2 cut off)

highlights: Infected Oakshire Hellshire II and Alesmith barrel aged decadence (vintage 2008 or 2009?)...smelled of blue cheese and smoke.
  4. terrapinfan88

terrapinfan88 Savant (300) Virginia Nov 15, 2009

Boxers Rebelion... So incredible... so complex
  5. adkieffer

adkieffer Savant (320) Washington Nov 23, 2010

This ^

Also, Crooked Stave Bourbon Barrel Sentience
  6. My Blueberry Nightmare
  7. Collage from HOTD and Deschutes.
  8. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Probably my first beer.
  9. Sixam2

Sixam2 Aficionado (110) Washington Feb 19, 2013

Ruud Awakening IPA from Old School House Brewery in Winthrop Washington
  10. jrman1386

jrman1386 Aficionado (210) Illinois Oct 22, 2011

Either CCB sugar plum brown, or Hardywood GBS
  11. grrrah

grrrah Savant (320) California Sep 21, 2009

Good interesting: Melange#3

Bad interesting: Moa Imperial Stout, Ghost face killah,
  12. adamant1912

adamant1912 Savant (395) Michigan Jan 10, 2010

Most recently I would have to say Kuhnhenn Blueberry Eisbock and also Brasseire Thiriez Extra Dry-Hopped French Farmhouse Ale. The farmhouse was super barnyard funky and delicious, would highly recommend if you're into something with some funk and complexity.
  13. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) California Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Shrug. If so, I haven't met this group. I'm not saying they don't exist, just that I haven't me them.

In my mind, I guess it all depends on what you're looking for in food or a beverage. Just as I find it a bit odd that some restaurant would intentionally try to make the most bland hamburger, steak or sandwich possible, so I find BS 55 puzzling. The beer has so little flavor, I'm not sure who it would appeal to, other than the demographic I mentioned in my post (those folks who really don't like the taste of beer, and so want to drink something that has as little flavor as possible, while imparting as few calories at the same time).

At least in my experience, most folks don't intentionally try to find and buy the most bland food items available. Which probably explains why most restaurants aren't trying to market such items ("Eat here, where we do our level best to make sure the food you eat will have as little flavor as possible. If you find any other restaurant with food more bland than ours, we guarantee we'll refund your money!"). So yes, I find it puzzling that a brewery would go out of its way to intentionally make a beer that has so little flavor, it will likely not appeal to anyone who actually enjoys the taste of beer.
  14. y2pascoe

y2pascoe Aspirant (35) Rhode Island Aug 16, 2012

Dogfish Head 75 Minute IPA.
  15. dmfc906

dmfc906 Aficionado (130) Illinois Jul 2, 2010

had that at Zwanze Day this year...it was definitely interesting. I liked it.
  16. I have a Duchesse in my fridge right now! All the things I'm hearing about it however are making me hold off whenever I reach for it cause I don't feel like my tastebuds are ready.
  17. seplo

seplo Savant (445) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

Definitely Ballast Point Indra Kunindra....CHEERS
  18. Why, Dos Equis, of course! The most interesting beer in the world!
  19. Hopfenstark Boson de Higgs - a Berliner Weiss/Rachbier/Saison mix
    Dunham Leo's Early Breakfast IPA - brewed with guava and Earl Grey tea while hopped with Nelson Sauvin
  20. Well I just tried it the other night, I guess I'll go with Voodoo Doughnut, Maple Bacon Ale. At first it wasn't bad really, it kind of tasted like smoky bacon with maple syrup poured on it, but it got tougher to drink as I continued. I'm definitely not getting it again, but at the end of the day it wasn't as bad as I expected, just a little too smoky.
  21. The first one that I thought of instantly would be Shorts - Freedom of 78. Interesting.
  22. dsmil

dsmil Aficionado (110) Maryland Oct 31, 2009

Founders Dirty Bastard
  23. LieutenantDan

LieutenantDan Disciple (50) Texas Nov 18, 2012

Ska Brewing mole stout. Theres just so much going on in that beer. I got hooked on it. Very well balanced but becareful, i warn the weak stomached of MONTEZUMAS REVENGE....
  24. Founders Spite. I give props to anyone who can drink an entire pint of this pepper bomb.
    CubsJedi likes this.
  25. MarioM

MarioM Advocate (515) California Sep 13, 2009

Jolly Pumpkin Madrugada Obscura, actually pretty much any Jolly Pumpkin brew is damn interesting.
  26. Goose Island Naughty Goose. Liquid butterscotch. Awesome.
  27. vurt

vurt Savant (495) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

Last weekend I had a beer called Captain Beefheart, a collaboration between Portland breweries Upright and Burnside. Fermented with a Scottish ale yeast, this copper ale was brewed with Turkish bay leaf, long pepper, and salt. Oh, and also 60 pounds of charred beef hearts. I didn't find this out until I was halfway through my glass. Malty, mildly sweet, spicy, and oddly savory.
  28. CBC Sgt. Pepper is awesome. It's not the first beer I've tried brewed with peppercorns, but it's my favorite. The heat sits with you in the back of your throat for a while after every sip, and probably a full 30 min after the last sip, but in a satisfying way.