1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Most of the Anchor Christmas labels

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by beertunes, Dec 21, 2012.

1. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

2. I was going to post this too. Good job.
    beertunes likes this.
  3. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

This has me wanting to start collecting their labels. I didn't realize they changed the labels every year!
  4. pretty sure the recipe changes every year too, but i could be wrong. I heard that at least.
  5. I have a really nice poster of the 25th anniversary of these that I got framed.
  6. Mothergoose03 and beertunes like this.
  7. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Cool. Thanks for posting that Jess. Merry Christmas, Joyous Kwanzaa, Happy Hanukkah, and Cheers to you.
  8. The brewery doesn't sell those posters. They're free.
    Mothergoose03 and beertunes like this.
  9. Yes, every year they tweak the recipe in some regard. I read something that they might stop doing a spice beer for next year's release and go back to a hoppy beer instead. Apparently, the first OSA releases were hoppy beers.
  10. Yeah, I think I've read that the earliest years of the OSA's were closer to Liberty Ale than to today's dark spiced ale -brewing with top fermenting yeast was new to Anchor at the time. (Even in the early years of their bottled Porter, that beer was bottom-fermented.) Forget the exact chronology, but either Liberty Ale was based on the first OSA recipe, or vice versa.

The first OSA with spices was 1987 (I think it was designed originally as a wedding beer) as you can see on the label reproductions*. A spiced beer at the time was pretty much unheard of (at least in the US)- lots of US breweries, both craft and pre-craft, once put out special Christmas/Holiday/Winter beers but Anchor should probably be credited (or blamed) for making a spiced beer the norm for the style in the US (much to sierranevadabill's annual distress).

Altho' I think Maytag has said that he got the idea from Bert Grant - so there's enough blame to go around. ;)

* All the OSA labels BTW are up on Anchor's website - http://www.anchorbrewing.com/beer/christmas_ale/labels
  11. raczkowski

raczkowski Savant (290) Florida May 16, 2011

i look forward to getting some of this each year and being able to let some age...ireally hope they stay with their spiced line...not a whole lot of beers similar to Anchor OSA...ST 2XMAS is similar but i still like the Anchor better. there are plenty of hoppy ales this time of year, plus i buy so much celebration i may not have money for hoppy ones lol.