1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Most Popular Craft Beer of the 80's?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Hanzo, Sep 2, 2012.

1. shand

shand Advocate (645) Florida Jul 13, 2010

I'd still bring the 8-Bit Pale Ale, I'm sure people would get a kick out of it, might get some people to pick up a craft brew who wouldn't normally.
  2. Hornet2003 likes this.
  3. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Yeah, it was something special back then. I don't give 2 hoots to what anyone says to the contrary, it was a far superior beer to what it is now.
    TongoRad likes this.
  4. Just took a look at my database at the American Beers I tried from 1985-1989. Not too many microbrews. Most are mentioned above including Sam Adams, Catamount (no longer available), Pete's (no longer available), Geary's, Anchor Steam.
  5. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (765) California Jan 31, 2005

Pete's (my buddy worked for him, and I got to drink with Pete on his corporate dime:D), Sieera Nevada (always loved the Porter, and later the Bigfoot), Anchor (Porter again), for a while Moosehead (hey, this was the late 80's), and Samuel Smith's (named one of my dogs Taddy, I guess Nut Brown was a bit long for a name).
  6. I remember the buzz there was around Christian Moerlein. There seemed to be an aura of sophistication about it too and though it wasn't earth shattering it was a decent drink.
  7. Christian Moerlein was a fine beer when i drank t back in the late 80's early 90's. There was imo a much better beer being brewed across the Ohio River. Oldenberg Brewery in Fort Mitchell KY brewed German Lagers as well as anyone does in the USA today. Sadly Oldenberg is GWTW.
  8. celfan

celfan Savant (465) Vermont Jul 4, 2004

9. For some of us that was a time when you would be happy with anything a person with a valid ID would get you for your $8 you saved up by not buying school lunch for two weeks. Iron City (Pittsburgh) was the go to cause nobody knew any better.
    Not that I took part in underage drinking. I just heard that somewhere thats all.
    "Hey kid, get my bags, park my car and put on some weight!"
  10. Stoudt's was up and running in the 80's. Also visited Chesbay in 1985.
  11. Love that picture, too. Takes me back for sure. As for "dry" beers, I'm reminded of the term every time I listen to Ween's "Buckingham Green," which includes the lyric "Why ask why?"
  12. Skoallrebel

Skoallrebel Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2012

i guess Heineken. Everyone back then thought that was the good shit.