1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Most recent beer to wildly exceed your expectations

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bismarksays, Feb 11, 2013.

1. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

Thas a goood beer!!!
  2. jimmyr78

jimmyr78 Zealot (85) Missouri Jan 26, 2013

Beerhere Nordic Rye (Denmark). This is a rye farmhouse ale. Perhaps one of the best balances of sweet, smoke, roasted malts, and hop. This was a random purchase in my local bottle shop, and I hope to be able to find more.
    starrdogg likes this.
  3. Am I the only one who finds the title of this thread oddly familiar. Kinda sounds like a thread I've seen on here before. "Last beer to blow you away" anyone? Why didn't you just post on there instead of creating another one?
  4. AndrewSmith

AndrewSmith Savant (340) California Jan 27, 2013

Tried Sucks for the first time recently, damn good beer!
  5. It is on my to-try list, but not one I can get to easily, unfortunately. Willoughby and Spring House both, but haven't found a SH trade partner.
  6. tronto

tronto Aficionado (225) Kentucky Dec 22, 2010

Westbrook/Evil Twin growler stout. Really solid roasty stout, loved it.
  7. Logsdon Peche n Brett
    Beautiful beer. Wish I had more.
  8. A few of them...
    Smuttynose Durty - great hop aroma and flowery citrus hop taste mixed fantastic with the sweeter malts.
    Boulevard Rye on Rye - great flavor and an incredibly smooth balanced beer, would never guess that bad boy was 12%
    North Coast XV bourbon barreled Old Rasputin. Delicious Delicious Stout. Right up there with KBS. Wish it was cheaper.
    and the best of them all, 2012 Parabola. Something about last years. It was just absolutely fantastic. Incredibly complex taste but well balanced and incredibly smooth. Great mouth feel. I think this took over as my favorite beer ever had. It took the crown with ease during my bourbon barrel imperial stout tasting.
  9. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Had lots of good beers recently, but the one that stands out as really being waaaay better than expected (even as a GABF gold winner) was Funkwerks Deceit. I absolutely loved it.
  10. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

BB4D.
    Had tasters from the tap, but just had my first full bottle at home in front of the fire. Wow. What a treat.
    Liquid candy.
    Maybe one of my alltime favorites in any style. Incredible. Need to go buy some more.

[​IMG]
    ChanChan and JLG193 like this.
  11. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

LaCumbre Elevated IPA and Hoponius Union! OMG!
  12. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

...actually, I almost forgot. Wynkoop's Chancellor. Maybe the best beer I tried all year and it came out of nowhere.
  13. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale. This was within the first five craft beers I ever tried and got me into this whole mess 8 years ago. I haven't had one in well over 4 years. Saw some at the store last week bottled in January. Took it home, poured it into the glass and it was 10x better than I ever remembered. So well balanced and touches on so many styles all in one beer at the same time somehow. Awesome, I enjoyed every sip in amazement, very under rated beer. Not in my 'best top ten' but definitely in my 'favorite' top ten.
    ucfalum08 likes this.
  14. Fiddlehead IPA while in Vermont last week.
    Felt like I was drinking a hoppy offering from Hill Farmstead. Strangely, it doesn't score as high as I thought it would.
  15. denver10

denver10 Champion (890) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Sierra Nevada's Brandy Barreled Ovila Quad.

Not really a Sierra Nevada fan at all and I am not consistently into quad's, so went in to this one with little expectations but just felt the mood for it at the bar that day. Stuff was fantastic...
  16. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

Oh, man—Hoponious Union. I'd heard good things, but damn.
    yeti123 and tectactoe like this.
  17. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (470) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

Two Brothers Cane and Abel Rye - Bought it on a whim in a mixer 6 pack and it blew me away. Pretty unlike most other ryes I have tried.

Rochefort 10 and St. Bernardus Prior 8 - I for some reason thought I didn't like Belgians. These two blew me away.
    TongoRad likes this.
  18. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

Meantime Naval College Old Porter. Absolutely blew me away, and was easily the star of the show in a beer day which included KBS and Black Note.
  19. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Savant (305) California Apr 16, 2005

Moonlight Reality Czeck. I had it immediately after Pliny the Younger, and I enjoyed it just as much as PtY, which I certainly didn't expect. Obviously a completely different style, but as a Czech Pils I thought it was absolutely spot on.
  20. I just spent the weekend in Florida. On Saturday we went to a state park to checkout the wildlife. I stopped in the gift shop that also served ice cream and some picnic type food. As luck would have it they also had beers on tap. Once of which was Cigar City Marshal Zhukov. Needless to say I ordered it....16oz of it! Stunning beer.
  21. Drew26

Drew26 Savant (330) Wisconsin Nov 2, 2012

Founders Imperial Stout...awesome.
  22. Chris77McGrath

Chris77McGrath Savant (280) Ohio Feb 8, 2013

Otter Creek Alpine Black IPA
  23. I'll echo the Lagunitas Sucks sentiments. We just started getting Lagunitas a few weeks ago, and picked up a 6er of Sucks and was just completely blown away. Stands right up there with the best DIPA's I've ever had, and at $8.99 a 6er an amazing value.
  24. barry island ipa from brains of of cardiff south wales uk. nice full feel and superb smack of hops
    citra from oakham brewery england superb very hoppy and aromatic citra hops really are superb
  25. 7clutch

7clutch Aficionado (245) Florida Sep 14, 2012

A couple of recent ones:
    Peg's Wine Barrel Aged Stout - Right up there with RareR for me.
    Hanssens Experimental Raspberry - I had their oude gueuze and oude kriek so I expected it to be sour but not this much of a sour bomb. It wasn't the most complex beer but I have no problem at all with over-the-top sour. Also love that it's so easily accessible.
  26. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

For me most recently I had two beers I really enjoyed, one was at a tasting I was at on saturday. It was kind of an obscure beer for me that I wouldn't have normally picked out called Gavroche by Brasserie De Saint-Sylvestr.

The other one, I had on sunday. It was the first beer of the day and fit that niche nicely. Green Flash's East Village Pilsner.

There have been plenty of beers in the past of which I enjoy more than these two, but these are the most recent.

27. Superdad

Superdad Aficionado (105) Sep 1, 2012

DuckRabbit Milk Stout . Got my first sixer at Whole Foods and immediately fell in love. I have since emailed the company as well as my local beer store in hopes of ordering a keg for my kegerator.
  28. skinnyb

skinnyb Zealot (85) California Dec 20, 2007

29. Hoppin' Frog Barrel Aged BORIS. I know the rating on here is "world class," but wow-- that beer is world class. I love regular BORIS, but the barrel aging really takes it to another level.
  30. Damn... I knew that was aged on bourbon barrels, but not on Buffalo Trace bourbon barrels. Now I'm going to have to hunt that down. You can't get a better fifth for the money than Buffalo Trace, and non-BA Blockhead reminded me in some ways of Insanity, which is my favorite barleywine.

As for me, the last month has seen the release of Sucks, which is among the top three IIPAs I've ever had, and Founders RIS, which is most certainly the best RIS I've ever had. I was expecting them to be good, but I wasn't expecting them to turn me into a beer hoarder.
  31. my friend hooked me up with a bottle of saison dupont a while ago it was just fantastic. i was seriously blown away

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/637/1717

i love belgium beers, absolutely love sours/wild ales/farmhouse ales etc. this is def one of my favorites. if i have the funds i like to try new sours. other then that im usually on the hunt for ipa's, stouts etc
  32. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Would have to say Narwhal. I mean I knew it wouldn't suck, afterall it's SN, but I had no idea it would kick ass.
  33. Dark Horse Perkulator coffee doppelbock. So nice having a coffee brew that wasn't a stout or porter. Refreshing.... And fantastic.
  34. GFish

GFish Aficionado (170) Virginia Aug 4, 2012

Troegs Nugget Nectar
  35. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (620) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

Terrapin Wake & Bake. What a great beer and dessert all in one!
  36. BMMillsy

BMMillsy Advocate (635) Florida Feb 16, 2012

Probably Epic Big Bad Baptist and Kuhnhenn Bourbon Barrel 4D. The Kuhnhenn was a 2011 bottle poured this past Sunday. Just unbelievable.
    Andygirl likes this.
  37. RobDB

RobDB Advocate (570) New Jersey Aug 31, 2009

For me, Ballast Point Victory at Sea. Awesome beer.
  38. WankelEngine

WankelEngine Savant (345) Illinois Mar 28, 2011

Firestone's DBA. I just grabbed a sixer just for the hell of it, expecting a mediocre beer, and it turned out to be insanely easy to drink with a great flavor profile. I mean, easier to throw back than BMC. Absolutely love it.
  39. Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen.

I thought I would experience a "funky background" smokiness, you know... Instead, it blasted off smoke and ham (!) in the aroma and in the taste - yet being very drinkable. I was surprised.
    TongoRad likes this.
  40. Thedrizzle

Thedrizzle Savant (435) Florida Sep 10, 2012

Heavy seas black cannon. Fantastic