1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Most recent beer to wildly exceed your expectations

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bismarksays, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Lakefront Luther. I guess I shouldn't be that surprised because I'm a huge smoked beer fan but I enjoyed this beer way more than anticipated.

2. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (470) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

GI Madame Rose. I figured I'd like it, but the only beers I've had from GI before that were Nut Brown and Big John (which was disappointing for me...not bad, but by no means mind-blowing). That shit really wowed me big time. I just wish it wasn't so expensive.

3. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (655) Florida Apr 13, 2011

White Oak Jai Alai - went in with zero expectations since Jai Alai to me is good, but nothing to write home about. Then...BAM! Coconut to the face. Delicious.

Prior to that...BBPt5. Ridic.

4. lagunitas Maximus. I've looked at it several times but alway decided on something else. Tried it this time and Damn.. had no idea how good it is!

TongoRad likes this.
  5. Tall Grass 8 Bit APA & Prairie Hop

6. Kopi Luwak Speedway Stout. I didn't expect it to be soooo much better than regular Speedway.

7. I am fortunate to shop at a store with another customer who buys Maximus by the case, so they are constantly getting fresh deliveries. I gotta say- it's a great one to have in your regular rotation, especially if it hasn't been laying around.

8. Maine Beer Co.'s Lunch. Stopped me in my tracks. Amazing stuff!

9. csbinva

csbinva Savant (265) Virginia Jan 13, 2010

Alewerks Bitter Valentine, loved it last year, this year, slaps you in the face and tells you to wake up and recognize!

10. Two recently:
    50/50 Eclipse Elijah Craig 12
    Had tried the Old Fitzgerald prior to this and was disappointed big time, but this one made up for it by a mile!

Red Seal Ale by North Coast Brewing Co
    Picked up a six pack for my co worker cause he wants to try new stuff. Took one as commission and will be buying these for myself from now on. Didn't expect it to be as hoppy as it was. Nice find!

11. TychoNDC

TychoNDC Savant (370) New York Jan 7, 2013

Flying Dog Kujo Imperial Coffee Stout (2013 release). Maybe it was because I didn't have huge expectations for it, but holy crap it blew me away. Undeniably smooth, drinkable, sweet, the tiniest trace of alcohol. I could see some finding this brew TOO sweet, but I just downed it.