1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Most refreshing beer for the dog days of summer.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by twizzard, Jul 15, 2013.

1. commis

commis Savant (330) Massachusetts Jul 21, 2009

Been crushing some Notch this summer. I miss NC distro a bit though... I get cravings for Oarsman, Shift Lager and Mother Earth Kolsch when it's brutally hot. High time for Bells and NB to get their asses in gear and send New England some beer!!

ElijahRivera likes this.
  2. Hefewiseman

Hefewiseman Savant (355) Florida Sep 6, 2011

Zombie Dust and 7venth Sun Summercamp series session IPAs... seriously, they're awesome.

3. MikeWard

MikeWard Savant (455) Pennsylvania Sep 14, 2011

SN Kellerweiss. And though not a beer, Woodchuck Cider after a day in the yard goes down by the sixer (at least)

4. denver10

denver10 Champion (890) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Odell's Loose Leaf hit the spot when I bought my lone Montage Variety pack when it first hit the shelves....wish they would have released that one in six packs. At least I have been able to find it on some local taps.

And speaking of Odell...St. Lupulin.

Unfortunately, this one's only been available on tap in limited local supply but Grimm Brother's Kleine Elsa kolsch has been another favorite of mine recently.

And I can't ever go wrong with Yuengling Lager.

5. ElijahRivera

ElijahRivera Savant (370) New York Jun 30, 2009

I've been on a quest to find my ultimate 2013 summer beer, and so far it is Sierra Nevada Summerfest for me. It is just an amazingly clean and drinkable pilsner with a crisp, spicy hop kick. To me, it is what bad lager's wish they could be, and it comes in cans. But my quest continues.

6. Beerista

Beerista Zealot (95) Massachusetts Sep 11, 2012

Allagash White

7. Fremont Summer Ale

8. ScottieD

ScottieD Savant (430) Connecticut Jul 30, 2011

NEBCO Supernaut

9. Jeffreysan

Jeffreysan Savant (300) Maryland Apr 12, 2013

So far, I've been enjoying Old Dominion's Cherry Blossom Lager, Sam Adams Blueberry Hill Lager, 21st Amendment's Sneak Attack Saison, and Anderson Valley's Sumer Solstice. Damn tasty beers.

10. KenC

KenC Aficionado (240) New Jersey Jan 21, 2011

Wish I some Weeping Radish Kolsch when it's blazing hot.

11. fuhkyou

fuhkyou Aficionado (180) Idaho Feb 20, 2013

Just about any pils on tap at Victory but they're 2,500 miles away now.

12. Mongrel

Mongrel Savant (405) Maryland Feb 14, 2013

Sofie. Had one on tap the other day, and I've gotta say it did the trick.

13. Larrygto

Larrygto Aficionado (230) Arizona May 28, 2012

I'll say Daisy Cutter, because I'm drinking one right now in this stifling heat and damn the it hit the spot!

14. Boulevard's 80 acre hoppy wheat is quite refreshing for me on a hot day. I'm enjoying an Odell IPA right now. Also delicious in this miserable, sweltering heat. God bless Willis Carrier.

gmrv4 likes this.
  15. BBAVUSO21

BBAVUSO21 Savant (375) New York Jan 25, 2013

Stone IRS because I said so

16. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I'd probably have to say Deschutes River Ale. 4%abv, baby!

17. Great picture!

18. Down here in South Mississippi is as serious test of a beer's summertime refreshment abilities. This summer Sam Adams Porch Rocker has been a revelation.

jweldon325 likes this.
  19. Genny Cream Ale cans. $13.49 total a 30 pack. Fuckin a Tweety!!!!

Scrapss, tviz33 and twizzard like this.
  20. Same here, goin on my third case.

Zone_Fighter likes this.
  21. broseidon

broseidon Zealot (85) Ohio Oct 17, 2012

The hotter it is, I tend to go for lower abv stuff. Its supposed to be around 95 all week here in Cincinnati and I forsee myself drinking a lot of grapefruit stiegl. Other than that I've been gravitating toward a lot of saisons as well.

22. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

Anchor Summer Beer was excellent when I tried it for the first time last weekend. Was really hot outside too. My other choice was going to be Bells Oberon, and Balast Points Longfin Lager. As far as an ipa on a summer day maybe Two Hearted or Alesmiths Ipa.

I tried to think of a stout I might like on a hot day but I can't think of any.

23. Hey all...new guy here! I thought this would be the most appropriate topic to start my BA life with. couple weeks ago I was up north and had a 6 of Dirty Bastard one night since it was in the 40's. Next day was warmer, so I partook of a twelver of SN Pale Ale. I thought after that I would swear off the hops, so in this last week of mid 90's, I have had a 12 of Fat Tire ( too Heavy), a couple PBR's, a 6 of Becks (not bad), 6 of Oberon, and tonight a 6 of SN Torpedo ( OD'd on hops for sure now). Honestly, the PBR was the single most refreshing in the hot, followed by Oberon. I look forward to cooler weather, since mys fav's seem to be Dirty Bastard, and lotsa New Belgiums!. Also lookin' forward to reviewing on BA. and maybe gettin to know ya'all. Is there an intro thread I am missing?

24. I love it!!! Here I can only get the huge cans of it. One place got the squat six bottles for me once but only once.

25. BruChef

BruChef Savant (285) New York Nov 8, 2009

More love for Genny Cream ale along with Genny light and especially Dundee Kolsch.

26. deschutes, chainbreaker white IPA

27. Vonstein15

Vonstein15 Savant (310) Ohio Jan 15, 2010

Specher Hefewiess is my Awe moment

28. Flying Fish FU Sandy.

29. Ice cold Franziskaner with some fresh raspberry's in the glass. Yes I am weird but don't knock it till ya try it once.

30. Sierra nevada pale ales are a no brainer...also enjoy a couple goose land 312's if im in the mood for something light
    Ohhh and anderson valley summer solstice...yea

31. For me nothing beats a nice IPA. Can't be anything balanced or malty as they tend to feel too heavy when it gets hot. Its supposed to be in the 100s around my place this weekend so I'm definitely going for the hop forward IPAs.

32. With a tongue in cheek reference to "dog days" I would have to say Flying Dog's "Garde Dog" its pretty mouthwatering.

33. New Glarus Berliner Weiss was hitting the spot the past few days.

34. This weekend probably gonna try some RedHook ESB. I liked their Longhammer IPA, but I am stiil a little hopped out from all the SN PA and Torpedo. I tried some Frankenmuth Pilsner, but just didn't feel it.

35. ceeg

ceeg Aficionado (155) New York Dec 16, 2010

Banhof Berliner is all I want lately...

36. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (700) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

Two Brothers Sidekick Pale Ale

37. nc41

nc41 Advocate (660) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

When it's hot and I want to literally throw one back an ice cold Miller Lite, I'm talking two pulls on the can to empty it.

surfcaster likes this.
  38. gumballhead, wish i had more of it thats so good when its hot out

39. Mshull

Mshull Aficionado (205) Ohio Mar 26, 2013

Anderson valley summer solstice/founders rubaeus