1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Most underrated beer from a well-known brewery?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SteveB24, Mar 10, 2014.

1. SteveB24

SteveB24 Savant (485) New York Aug 29, 2013

i recently tried lagunitas hop stoopid and was blown away, as well as shocked that nobody ever mentions or recommends this beer. i realized i could say the same about victory prima pills, sixpoint global warmer, and sierra nevada torpedo. what beer have you bought and tasted from a respected brewery that doesn't get much buzz compared to their biggest sellers.

darthvohn, Ilovebeer1549, BSW and 6 others like this.
  2. The first thing that comes to mind whenever this question is posed:
    Blind Pig by Russian River. If there was no Pliny, this beer would get massive buzz.

I also think that Founders Porter gets overlooked because of all their higher profile beers.

3. I liked FBS better than KBS if that counts, their porter also, great beer.

I often forget Stone has just a simple "IPA" and I'm pleased every time I rediscover it.

Oskar Blues Old Chub and North Coast Old Stock belong up there too.

mcomben, IowaPA, Ristaccia and 8 others like this.
  4. Not the most amazing IPA on the market, but Ballast Point's Big Eye is still a very good beer that suffers from being overshadowed by Sculpin.

thomda11, rustyeaton, IowaPA and 22 others like this.
  5. Bosoxfan20

Bosoxfan20 Savant (360) Missouri Feb 6, 2013

Double Jack. Everyone goes bonkers for FW barrel aged stuff (and rightfully so), but this is an amazing and often overlooked DIPA

Along the same lines as Hop Stupid, I think Maximus is pretty solid as well. I also think Jose Marti gets lost in the mix of all the other great offerings from CCB

6. JuniperJesus

JuniperJesus Savant (430) Illinois Feb 26, 2011

Goose Island is known for their innovation and creativity but no one ever mentions their Nut Brown Ale. It's probably one of the best representations of the style and has amazing flavor. It's thick and creamy, nutty and roasty; and it's a steal compared to over-rated browns like Surly Bender.

7. Samuel Smith's Yorkshire Stingo.

8. Black_ox

Black_ox Aficionado (220) Missouri Apr 25, 2013

Several of these beers (Hop Stoopid, Double Jack, Blind Pig) are rated really high, I'd hardly call them underrated. Maybe undermentioned? Idk Hop stoopid and DJ are in my top 5 beers for sure though, haha.

Anyway, if anyone comes across Divided sky rye IPA or Resurrection IPA from 4 hands brewery should jump on it. Both treasures, hiding nicely in the midwest ;)

WadeBridgman, samurai70 and 1424IpA like this.
  9. fishmich

fishmich Savant (490) Michigan Apr 11, 2013

Oberon i think is overrated by the average beer drinker and underrated by most BAs. i think it is a very good beer that falls somewhere inbetween. i really enjoy some Oberon in the summer months.

10. fishmich

fishmich Savant (490) Michigan Apr 11, 2013

to add to this im really looking forward to Oberon(and Two Hearted) in cans out on the boat this year.

11. HRamz3

HRamz3 Advocate (630) Pitcairn Feb 9, 2010

HFS Walden. Low abv = overlooked.

12. Every time I drink a DFH Indian Brown Ale, I'm surprised that it's not really one of their more popular brews.

13. EricTKole

EricTKole Savant (415) Michigan Jan 4, 2014

Bells Best Brown Ale for me, might be because the packaging is hideous now? That's a solid beer.

14. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Troegenator

15. Matthew1788

Matthew1788 Savant (440) Ohio Feb 23, 2013

Sierra Nevada Pale ale. Still one of my favorite beers.

16. Founders Porter is third in the country for easily available basic porters for me behind the likes of Eddy Fitz and Black Butte, which is high praise. Of course Everett is number one, but since I can't have a sixer of it in my fridge at all times, it's out of the conversation.

We've gotta define whether OP meant underrated or under-mentioned (since OP mentioned Hop Stoopid, I've gotta think under mentioned). Underrated by its actual definition, I'll be a homer and pose New Glarus Snowshoe, New Glarus Cabin Fever, and Ale Asylum Mad Town Nut Brown. They're all really great examples of styles that aren't very highly regarded on BA and are extremely affordable. I'll also mention that Great Lakes Commodore Perry and Burning River, while still quite highly rated (both roughly 3.9), are underrated even at that. Those are 4.15-ish beers for sure and are great examples of the "third coast" style of pale ale.

Undermentioned (and underrated in many cases)? Basically any lager, even the greats. Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold and Eliot Ness, Victory Prima Pils, Three Floyds Jinx Proof, the list goes on. Also, Three Floyds Alpha King (pale ale, not a lager); it's in the same boat as Blind Pig in that if Zombie Dust (Pliny) didn't exist, people would be clamoring for it.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  17. I actually really prefer the new packaging, and I picked up a mini keg of it for the measly price of $10. First time having it, and I was extremely and pleasantly surprised. I'm not huge into brown ales (like most of BA), but it was really tasty and easily worth the price.

EricTKole likes this.
  18. nriech

nriech Savant (405) Virginia Mar 9, 2005

ruthless rye sierra Nevada. Easy to find, even in crap supermarkets and decent.

19. Goose Island Christmas Ale (aged) - although I haven't had it since the name change to Sixth Day, since I age my bottles

Kasteel Rouge - no one talks about anything from Kasteel much, but this is an amazing cherry flavored beer that clocks in at 8.0 ABV

Stone Vertical Epic 12.12.12 - don't here this one mentioned one way or the other, when it comes to Stone's Vertical Epic series.

Duvel Triple Hop 2013 Sorachi Ace - everyone talks about classic Duvel, but never about their amazing Belgian IPA

DFH Black and Blue
    DFH Noble Rot
    - neither of these are frequently mentioned in the DFH conversation, and I think these are amongst their best beers.

20. lurpy1

lurpy1 Savant (480) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

Surly Bitter Brewer. I've sent it in many trades. Almost nobody is happy to receive it but they all like it way more than they expected.

djsmith1174, Kyrojack and d5001986 like this.
  21. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Odell IPA.
    I still think it's the best one in the country.

22. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (845) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Hop Stoopid was on the original Beers of Fame so it's far from underrated. It's just so well known that people don't talk about it. Maybe if it cost $10 a bomber instead of $4ish people would talk about it more.

My list would be Moylan's Hopsickle, Dark Horse Perkulator, and Ballast Point Sea Monster. Whenever I'm in a Ballast Point distribution state I always get Victory at Sea and I passed on Sea Monster because of the rating. Big mistake.

23. opwog

opwog Advocate (580) Minnesota Jun 16, 2008

That is what I had to assume, after not only reading the OP's list, but then just about any beer afterwards. I started to scroll the thread and was scratching my head wondering if anybody had actually seen how well rated all of these beers were. And some of this may specifically mean not mentioned enough on sites like this to make them good trade bait in states where they are not available. Because in SoCal, people are all over Hop Stoopid. And as far as Torpedo, I would be very surprised if that isn't the largest selling IPA in the country.

jkane101 and Roguer like this.
  24. ja1022

ja1022 Aficionado (220) Indiana Sep 27, 2009

Founders Double Trouble. Every year when Hopslam is released there's huge hype. There is a 15 page thread on this years release...I just don't get how Double Trouble gets so little recognition.

djsmith1174, SipIt, GR_Rick and 10 others like this.
  25. Ondray

Ondray Aficionado (175) Indiana Mar 6, 2014

Three Floyds Moloko Milk Stout. It's better than Left Hand...there I said it

26. ParkbrauFan

ParkbrauFan Savant (400) Iowa Feb 8, 2014

I had one Friday night in South Dakota. It was one of the best IPA's i've ever tasted

djsmith1174 likes this.
  27. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Savant (430) Colorado Sep 24, 2010

28. Rob315

Rob315 Savant (335) Kentucky Mar 20, 2010

29. Yeah, and it's not close. I'll always enjoy a Nitro, but Moloko is just fantastic, and it's one of Floyds cheaper bombers.

Hilarious avatar by the way.

Ristaccia, Jnashed and Ondray like this.
  30. brewlover517

brewlover517 Savant (270) Michigan Jan 23, 2014

Stone IPA, Founders Double Trouble, SN Hoptimum, GL Eliot Ness.

Roguer, ja1022 and raulstotle12 like this.
  31. I'm not one to say that someone's opinion is objectively wrong, but by none of the definitions we are using for "underrated" here in this thread does Sierra Nevada Pale Ale fall under it. SNPA is one of the tenets of craft beer and, I would wager, still one of the best selling craft beers in the country. It's ubiquitous.

HRamz3, TheDoctor and SteveB24 like this.
  32. Nah, it's good but not in the "best in the country" conversation, in my opinion. Myrcenary on the other hand...

ItsYourBoyBlue and ParkbrauFan like this.
  33. Starkbier

Starkbier Savant (270) Maryland Sep 19, 2002

yes on the lager love! Check out the new bottles from Parkesburg too, pH control via the new Lactic acid bio-reactors really shines in this beer.

TongoRad and herrburgess like this.
  34. My favorite of y'all's offerings (that I've tried so far). Thanks for the tip.

35. Bells Consecrator & Weyerbacher's Old Heathen . I have heard that Old Heathen is their weakest selling beer. I agree with Founders porter & Ballast Point's Big Eye ipa too.

36. Rob315

Rob315 Savant (335) Kentucky Mar 20, 2010

Ha good call, I got mixed up on that one. I'll change my answer to Bells Smitten, solid refreshing pale ale that I really enjoy and am surprised doesn't get a much mention.

I_BYE_MI_BEER and THANAT0PSIS like this.
  37. Janis_Hoplin

Janis_Hoplin Savant (260) Colorado Oct 19, 2013

Santa Fe Brewing often is underrated. Their IPA and Java Stout are two beers that are outstanding IMHO

38. APBT91

APBT91 Savant (330) North Carolina Apr 12, 2013

I never hear people talk about Centennial IPA, i think its really good especially when fresh and I can find it anywhere. I've not had one for awhile but WCIPA was one of my favorites and i don't see it mentioned very much either.

39. Agree - a couple other browns to check out are St. Botolph's by Pretty Things and Moose Drool by Big Sky Brewing - both might be hard to find outside of their respective distribution areas but both are really tasty!