1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Most underrated beer from a well-known brewery?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SteveB24, Mar 10, 2014.

1. WarEagleJeep

WarEagleJeep Savant (290) Alabama Jul 21, 2013

Great Divide Colette is a great spring/summer beer but I always think of Yeti (and different variations of Yeti) when I think of Great Divide.

KS1297, fuzzylogic and utopiajane like this.
  2. EricTKole

EricTKole Savant (325) Michigan Jan 4, 2014

That's a steal for $10 nice score!!

3. Boulevard Pop Up. Shit was good.

I like big Eye more, honestly. I dont get the insanity over Sculpin.

4. i was thinking about trying to trade for one of these but the color of the label scared me off.

i would suggest Lost Abbey Serpent's Stout. gets lost amidst all their sours.

FCal79 and Clint_Yoho like this.
  5. Givemebeer

Givemebeer Savant (455) Vermont Apr 6, 2013

Titan IPA. Love this stuff and Great Divide gets most of its attention from it's Yeti series.

6. Either or both the Stout and porter from Sierra Nevada.

HRamz3, Falcone, Roguer and 1 other person like this.
  7. [​IMG]
    Trumer Pils

Honestly, my #1 Pilsner hands down and readily available.

GR_Rick, PPOmaha and Redrover like this.
  8. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

I've always been fond of Stone's Smoked Porter. I could live without every other Stone beer but that one. Plus, only 4-5$ for a bomber. Win!

9. LMT

LMT Savant (330) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

Weihenstephaner Original (Helles Lager).

Maybe not over-rated, but not mentioned all the often. So I think it's under-appreciated.

10. michman

michman Savant (265) Illinois Oct 14, 2005

i really enjoy Bells Kalamazoo Stout.

11. SteveB24

SteveB24 Savant (450) New York Aug 29, 2013

ok so in hindsight "underated" was poor diction on my part, as it is a main function of BA to literally rate beer and all the beers ive mentioned as well as others on this thread have high scores, a better term would be undermentioned or under hyped. it could be hop stoopid is very popular elsewhere, but here in new york ive never heard anyone mention or recommend it, even in the context of lagunitas.

rustyeaton likes this.
  12. SteveB24

yes, as many pointed out "underrated" was poor terminology on my part, since BA literally rates beers and the beers i mentioned and many others have high scores, i definitly meant under mentioned or under hyped like most of you assumed.

13. Drew88

Drew88 Savant (260) New Jersey Sep 28, 2013

I'm still pretty shocked how underrated Free Will Brewing Company's Coffee Oatmeal Brown Ale is. I'm a huge coffee beer fan, I'm sure everyone isn't but if you are just taking COB for what it is, it's up there. Also I think Kujo from Flying Dog is a little underrated too. But maybe this winter just has me really up on the coffee beers.

Clint_Yoho likes this.
  14. beatenbyjacks

beatenbyjacks Savant (385) Colorado Apr 17, 2011

I was going to say Odell 5 Barrel. IPA, 90 Shilling, and Easy Street kind of get all the publicity for their normal lineup-up along with Friek and Woodcut series for their bombers. Glad to see 5 Barrel win a Gold @ GABF this past year as this beer has been a favorite Pale Ale for quite some time.

tylerstravis likes this.
  15. Agreed, I just had Centennial in cans for the first time, it has been awhile since I'd last had it and it was even better than I remember. So well rounded and drinkable.

brewlover517 likes this.
  16. APBT91

APBT91 Savant (325) North Carolina Apr 12, 2013

I haven't had the chance to try it in cans yet, I know its around it just hasn't been at my normal places. Its perfect timing for spring/summer!

17. Came here to say this^.

JohnCassillo likes this.
  18. I don't believe Free Will Brewing co would be considered "a well known brewery" which the OP indicated . However I agree ,COB is a nice brew.

19. In the "under mention" category , Anchor's Old Foghorn comes to mind.

djsmith1174 and SteveB24 like this.
  20. Harnkus

Harnkus Savant (385) New York Oct 31, 2013

Depends what you mean by "underrated". Do you mean not rated by many reviewers? Not rated highly? Rated below a 90 (because as we all "very good" is something to fear)? Or just a general feeling that contradicts what is otherwise rated highly because you feel people don't talk about it enough?

I think these beers deserve higher ratings:

Festina Peche (82)
    Kona Big Wave (80) Two Brothers Sidekick gets an 89, and this is in the same vain but much better
    Abita Strawberry Harvest Lager (79) yeah whatever, the shit is great
    Yards Brawler Pugilist Style Ale (83)
    Great South Bay Blonde Ambition (84) Not sure what the secret ingredient is, but this is liquid bikini
    Brooklyn Scorcher (80) By far my favorite pale ale
    The Shed IPA (81) Great EIPA, and like many others in the English vain, overlooked
    Otter Creek Vermont Lager (81)
    Kona Fore Rock Pale Ale (82) really a standout pale...and yeah, I think it really does taste Hawaiin
    Kona Longboard Lager (77) straight facing American lager doesn't get better than this for mindless quaff

21. Jimsal27

Jimsal27 Aficionado (140) New York Jul 30, 2013

Troegs nugget nectar

brewlover517 likes this.
  22. SteveB24

really? even in new york i thought that nugget nectar is very hyped, i mean its delicious, im not saying its over rated but definitely not under

23. SteveB24

just tried ballast point big eye IPA and i thought it was fine, not an IPA id run to buyb again but solid, is sculpin better?

24. SteveB24

try lagunitas cappuccino stout, just found it buy my local craft beer store and its really tasty, very drinkable too.

25. SteveB24

i find that while many peaople widely consider SN to be a good brewery, people make a much bigger deal about more expensive, rarer beers when SN has a great, affordable beer in nearly every catagory.

djsmith1174 and TychoNDC like this.
  26. SteveB24

i just tried ballast point big eye and i enjoyed it but i wasnt close to blown away, is sculpin better?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  27. SteveB24

yes, you are absolutely right, i meant under mentioned or under hyped.

28. Old Rasputin on nitro

Vivified and M-14 like this.
  29. Assuming you mean you tried Big Eye? Sculpin is fantastic in my (and a lot of others') opinion. Definitely worth a try (or several).

SteveB24 likes this.
  30. SteveB24

yeah i meant big eye, thanks.

31. guinness77

guinness77 Savant (465) New York Jan 6, 2014

Bell's Double Cream is almost a wow for me.
    Lagunitas Dogtown isn't talked about nearly as much as it should be.
    Old Chub is probably one of the best scotch ales in this country.
    Schneider Edel-Weiss is almost never mentioned.
    Hop Ottin' by Anderson Valley is a sick IPA. Especially canned.
    Founders Double Trouble.

I mean, I could go on. There are a lot of beers that don't get any hype at all.

BergBeer likes this.
  32. Bsetz

Bsetz Savant (295) Missouri Aug 29, 2013

I've always loved Stone Cali-Belgique

tylerstravis likes this.
  33. JamesTIA

JamesTIA Disciple (50) Ohio Nov 29, 2012

Too many to name. Here's the ones off the top of my head, and why.

Dark Horse Special Reserve Black Ale - With all the hype over their numbered stout series, everyone seems to forget this amazing beer.
    New Belgium Snapshot Wheat Ale - Fat Tire overshadows everything this brewery does, and this beer's haze and tart finish is outstanding. Not kidding. I once heard someone refer to this beer as "Fat Tire Snapshot" because they thought that was the name of the brewery.
    The Bruery Hottenroth - With all of their crazy sour ales blasting your palate with acid, this amazing Berlinerweisse often gets left in the dust behind them.
    Lindemans Faro Lambic - Casual drinkers love their Framboise, lambic geeks love their Gueuze, but few people seem to talk about this very sweet lambic with awesome orange peel and black pepper notes to it.
    Southern Tier Harvest Ale - Overshadowed by Pumking.
    Three Floyds Pride and Joy - forgot it existed, didn't you? Want one now, don't you?

Plenty more...the ones already mentioned that I would echo are Kalamazoo Stout (overshadowed by Expedition, Java, Cherry) and Big Eye (overshadowed by Sculpin)

miwestcoaster likes this.
  34. Lagunitas New Dogtown Pale Ale

Firestone Pale 31

Just Outstanding IPA

Jamaica Red

Green Flash Double Stout

Sea Monster (better than Victory at Sea IMHO)

Bear Republic Big Bear Black Stout - High ratings, under-discussed

beerFool28607 likes this.
  35. oldsailor

oldsailor Savant (295) Nevada Mar 18, 2008

I feel like a broken record throwing out Anchor's offerings, but their Christmas ale has always been great, yet last year's offering only scored an 83...I completely disagree with that and have to say that it's also been a gateway beer for a lot of friends of mine that weren't in to beer until I served it up at a Christmas party.

Droopy487 likes this.
  36. TwoTrees

TwoTrees Savant (315) Washington Oct 31, 2012

I'm gonna throw out Sierra Nevada's Kellerweiss. I friggin' love that beer...

37. JayCheG

JayCheG Aficionado (240) Wisconsin Jan 27, 2014

Moon Man - New Glarus
    They're known for their fruit beers but they make a pretty good pale ale

38. SteveB24

a couple of people have mentioned ballast point big eye as under hyped. i tried it tonight and i thought it was fine but not a beer that particularly deserves lots of hype. i also tried firestone Union jack IPA and THAT is an a beer worth hyping over.

39. I thought they were discontinued.

40. beerwolf72

beerwolf72 Savant (345) Ohio Aug 12, 2006

I second three Floyd's pride & joy. It's the session Sucks.

GR_Rick likes this.