1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Most underrated beer from a well-known brewery?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SteveB24, Mar 10, 2014.

1. - I think Double Trouble is better than Harvest Ale and dont understand why it doesnt have the same hype
    - Sweetwater Motorboat (though it does have a nice little following)
    - 12 Dogs of Christmas
    - Tumbler was underrated RIP
    - Hopdevil is kind of underrated but maybe it's just been around for so long.
    - I'm surprised Terrapin WNB stays on the shelves as long as it does.
    - By its BA score, Saison Diego is underrated, especially because it's only 4.2 abv
  2. '
    "Jamaica red" good call.
  3. grze

grze Savant (355) California Apr 17, 2012

That beer is almost as hard to find as reg. Pliny...actually within the last 3-4 months I had Pliny way more often than Blind Pig :)
  4. grze

grze Savant (355) California Apr 17, 2012

That beer is almost as hard to find as reg. Pliny...actually within the last 3-4 months I had Pliny way more often than Blind Pig :)
  5. Odd. It's damn near a staple at my store!
  6. Not sure if this one is really underrated, but in my opinion you don't here much about Lagunitas Little Sumpin, and I think it's awesome
    Bsetz, TooGood and djl9701 like this.
  7. Jimsal27

Jimsal27 Aficionado (140) New York Jul 30, 2013

True Nugget Nectar gets a lot of hype. But I guess I was referring more to my own expectations. I am not really an IPA guy but I love this beer.
  8. rojomo

rojomo Aspirant (45) Hawaii Feb 22, 2014

North coast Old Rasputin and Unibrou Trois Pistoles...
    djsmith1174, FCal79 and JMS1512 like this.
  9. SteveB24

SteveB24 Savant (450) New York Aug 29, 2013

Someone else from california said the same thing, but in both of the craft beer stores I shop by I was told it isnt popular, and I havnt heard anyone mention it there, on BA, or when conversing with other craft beer drinkers.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  10. SteveB24

Yeah its an extremely likeable beer, probably because of the balance of flavors, have you tried Lagunitas sucks? Its similar but in my opinion better.
    csoult likes this.
  11. SteveB24

Did u mean on BA or in general? Ive seen it mentioned pretty frequently in forums, but outside of BA I think your right, it often gets overshadowed by sucks.
    Destroyinator likes this.
  12. Seabass1964

Seabass1964 Savant (400) Arkansas Jan 10, 2014

Mother's MILF should be rated at least 100. Best Imperial Stout I've ever tasted. Better than Big bad Baptist, Speedway, ten fidy, BCBS,Prairie bomb, and fbs .... just to name a few. Much cheaper too!
    Black_ox likes this.
  13. That is a subjective matter, I say try Sculpin and you be the judge. I goto Big Eye during the Winter months and enjoy Sculpin during the Summer months. The edge goes to Big Eye though because, for a 7% brew a six pack runs around $10. For Sculpin being 7% a six pack runs around $16. If you get a chance try Sculpin on tap. That beer shines in that format.
  14. How will the buyer know the beer is from the new facility? All the Victory bottles on the shelves here still have labels with wording like "Brewed at our sole brewery at..." and a quick check of the most recent COLAs that are good for both facilities (BR-PA-20020 and BR-PA-VIC-1) have labels that still only read "Downingtown".
  15. Maine Beer Company - King Titus Porter
    Dogfish Head - Palo Santo Marron

Prima Pils, Trois Pistoles, and Founders Porter, for sure!
    FCal79 likes this.
  16. Kanger

Kanger Savant (380) New York Sep 3, 2013

Dogfish Head Sixty-One!
  17. Starkbier

Starkbier Savant (260) Maryland Sep 19, 2002

All bottles as of Jan are from Parkesburg. The corporate headquarters address remains Downingtown and those labels (sole) will be gone in due time.
  18. So, start looking for "Enjoy by" dates in June or later to be sure one is buying Parkesburg-brewed bottles?

Didn't realize all brewing is being moved to the new site - so, 12 oz. and bomber bottles and kegs? The Downingtown brewhouse will just supply the pub there - or some small batch draft, limited/"large" bottling?
  19. Southern Tier Live Pale Ale. I love it!
    klw346, SenorHops and utopiajane like this.
  20. Can't tell if sarcastic?
  21. Deschutes Red Chair. Nuff said.
  22. Ommegang Hennepin, with the popularity of saisons rising. everyone skips that beer and idk why...
  23. Roguer

Roguer Champion (890) Connecticut Mar 25, 2013

HF Everett. With all the buzz about HF beers, especially PA, IPA, and DIPA styles, this is one fantastic porter that few people seem to mention.

Founders Porter. FIS, FBS, KBS, et al get deserved amounts of love, but this is one heck of a beer. Dark, rich, and sexy, indeed!

St. Bernardus Tripel/Dubbel. Everyone always shoots straight for the ABT 12, while the Pater 6 and Tripel get overlooked. They're fantastic!

Good thread!
  24. Eurotrash Pilz - Southern Tier. I think no one talks about it because its not sold year round and the idea of a pilsner as a spring seasonal seems a bit odd.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  25. I don't think I've even heard of that one...
  26. I see it's a spring seasonal - I'll keep an eye out for it! Honker's Ale has me interested in trying more Bitters.
  27. Troegs HopBack Amber

It's awesome, but when I hear Troegs I usually hear Nugget Nectar or Mad Elf. HopBack is available year round, but I rarely hear anyone mention it.
  28. Starkbier

Starkbier Savant (260) Maryland Sep 19, 2002

For now all draft is still made at Downingtown as well as the special beers (which are also draft only). Over time this will also migrate to Parkesburg. Downingtown will remain as a brewpub and specialty/experimental outlet. You should take a tour of Parkesburg, its really quite impressive.
  29. I'd probably have to say Lagunitas Lucky 13. Its their mondo red ale and probably my favorite. However, when people mention Lagunitas, they always mention the Sucks or one of their other major ales.

I feel that the Lucky 13 is pretty underrated for a brewery that has gained so much popularity in the last few years.
    djsmith1174 and rustyeaton like this.
  30. Drew88

Drew88 Savant (260) New Jersey Sep 28, 2013

Yeah I had that this year and last year too. Very good brew. I like the troegs Java head but Kujo is definitely on another level.
  31. poormishi

poormishi Aficionado (165) Illinois Mar 16, 2011

Ten Fidy is one I would put on this list, and Blacktop from NG?
  32. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

Nut brown goes for like 8.99+ tax for 72oz in my neck of the woods, and I get bender for 9.99 + tax for 74oz. Plus it is not overrated and hardly even a brown.
  33. Just had Serpent Stout for the first time and would have to agree. It is an amazing stout.
  34. shnsajax

shnsajax Savant (295) Texas Jul 2, 2013

Was thinking this. Mostly the Triple as I think its better than any other triple on the market. Same goes for the Wit.
    Roguer likes this.
  35. Maybe nationwide is Nugget Nectar underrated but not in the MD/PA area. That shit is superhyped and highly rated. And deservingly so.
    TheNightwatchman and SteveB24 like this.
  36. Qbdoo

Qbdoo Savant (290) Illinois Sep 1, 2013

I say it every time there's a thread like this:
    Left Hand Polestar Pilsner. Just ridiculous and virtually ignored.
    muddyh2oblues likes this.
  37. GarrettFM

GarrettFM Aficionado (130) Illinois Nov 23, 2013

I agree with THANAT0PSIS that lagers tended to be underrated on this site and perhaps in the craft beer community at large. Maybe more importantly, they're under-brewed, at least in the United States. Among American craft breweries, Great Lakes seems to do the best job churning out excellent beers in the un-hip non-IPA/non-stout/non-Belgian styles. Dortmunder Gold and Eliot Ness are delicious. Victory Prima Pils probably deserves higher than a 91 on BeerAdvocate, considering it's widely viewed as the best American pilsener. FFF's Jinx Proof. Anchor California Lager and Steam Beer. Even freaking Samuel Adams Boston Lager, a classic that gets an 85 here. There are probably more, but I'm too busy trying to keep up with all of the highly regarded imperial ales that come out every week. Which in turn biases my palate more and more against the subtle, bready, balanced flavor of a good lager. This is a problem, right?
    THANAT0PSIS likes this.
  38. I think hopstoopid doesn't get a lot of buzz because it needs to be very fresh. The first hopstoopid I had, I had exactly the same reaction as you. Then I started looking for it. I feel like by the time it's three months old, it has a totally different character. Most IPAs I give a 3-4 month window. On saturday I had a hop stoopid from january and it was so sweet it tasted like drinking maple syrup. When it's very fresh the hops is so pungent that it balances the sweetness. I think a lot of folks have had past prime hop stoopid so it doesn't get the love. When I've had one at its peak, I think it is by far the best thing lagunitas brews
    SteveB24 likes this.
  39. In MA Jacks Abby is blowing up with their lagers and they are amazing. I don't think JA is underrated or undermentioned, but since you brought up lagers, I figured I'd give a plug to my favorite brewery the specializes in lagers. If you haven't had it, seek out some Mass Rising double IPL.

I love the otter creak pilsner with a picture of a hippy on the box. I can't recall the name right now. I think it doesn't get as much love as it deserves because folks like to shit on otter creek for not being hills farmstead of alchemist