1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Most underrated beer from a well-known brewery?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SteveB24, Mar 10, 2014.

1. 100% agree.

2. That is interesting, Jim. In the latest Zymurgy Martin Brungard has an article on Munich water, how the brewers treat it for light colored beers with boiling or slaked lime. The residual alkalinity is still higher than desired, so they use acid malt for pH control. He states that the low levels of lactate from the sour malt is part of the flavor profile.

AlcahueteJ and TongoRad like this.
  3. no

southdenverhoo likes this.
  4. agree. Ommegang is old school and it doesn't taste like rotten bananas which is more than I can say for half of the saisons out there. I haven't had one in years, but next time I see it I'm grabbing one. Thanks for reminding me of an old favorite

5. Burton Baton, Chillwave, Imperial Hatter...

6. Not a fan. I don't like Heineken either.

7. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (710) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

Sierra Nevada - Northern Hemisphere Wet Hop Harvest

8. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Savant (380) Ohio Mar 3, 2013

I'm sure there are others that will come to mind but I'm gonna go with Bell' Cherry Stout.

9. BBAVUSO21

BBAVUSO21 Savant (375) New York Jan 25, 2013

which is weird considering its one of the best porters on the market besides victory at sea

10. Southern Tier Harvest Ale- an ESB, not a fresh hop beer, and they really nail the feel and balance of it. One of my favorite seasonals.

superspak and utopiajane like this.
  11. Jimsal27

Jimsal27 Aficionado (140) New York Jul 30, 2013

Not sarcastic I'm pretty new to this scene. I hear people talk all the time about Pliny, heady topper, hop slam etc. I have had elder but have not had the other two but I wonder y I don't see people talk about nugget nectar. Also, as I said in another post I am not an IPA fan but I did love nugget nectar.

12. Bear Republic Cafe Racer 15. Funnel that juice into my face please.

smithj2154 and amstokesdb9 like this.
  13. Jimsal27

Jimsal27 Aficionado (140) New York Jul 30, 2013

I will give it a shot. My taste is hard to explain I like some hops but won't want an overload of hops.

14. I was thinking along those lines, but was going to suggest the Prior 8 for the dubbel. When people talk about St. Bernardus it's for their other beers, and when they talk about dubbels, both rarely get mentioned. Which is crazy- they are about as good as it gets.

Roguer likes this.
  15. Roguer

Roguer Champion (985) Connecticut Mar 25, 2013

When I grabbed the Pater 6 out of the fridge and let it get warming, I assumed it was a Belgian Pale or table beer (because of the Prior 8). I was surprised - but pleasantly so - to find it was a Dubbel. Looking back on my reviews, I do have the Pater 6 rated a little bit higher, but I can't vouch for my palate when I tried the Prior 8. The Prior 8 bottle I had also overflowed, and had a bit of a metallic taste, so it may have been an off bottle.

For Dubbels, I like Chimay and Westmalle more (in that order), but St B's are certainly world class.

TongoRad likes this.
  16. I am having my 1st SN porter right now. Wow. Why did I wait so long ?

17. 57md

57md Advocate (510) Pennsylvania Aug 22, 2011

I think that the most underrated beer from a well known brewery is SA Chocolate Bock. I understand that the ratings are low, but I just can’t help enjoying this very tasty treat. I was totally bummed out by the loss of the Chocolate Bock in the winter mix case this past year; the artificial taste of the Cherry Chocolate Bock made it a double disappointment.

So, here’s hoping for a return of the Chocolate Bock for Christmas 2014 and a shield for me so I can deflect all the slings and arrows that are about to be shot at me for daring to say that an SA beer is of high quality.

djsmith1174 likes this.
  18. Wayyyyyy more regional here but I see so much hype about FFF Zombie Dust, Surly Furious/Abrasive, all Pipeworks, Daisy Cutter.....but why does Half Acre Heyoka not get the hype? This is definitely in my top 5 favorite beers, I prefer it over all the other beers I mentioned.

19. 57md

57md Advocate (510) Pennsylvania Aug 22, 2011

SN Tumbler was just a spectacular autumn beer. I simply can't believe that SN discontinued this gem.

djsmith1174 likes this.
  20. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (915) Texas Aug 15, 2010

Alpine Ale.

One of the best pale ales out there in my book.

21. I and the rest of BA are fully aware of Jack's Abby, of course, but the thing is that JA is blowing up because they make "sexy" lagers. Half of their top beers (sorted by rAvg) are what I'll term "progressive lagers" or Baltic porters. You have to go halfway down the list to see a "normal" lager in their doppelbock, and even then that's always been a pretty well-accepted style on BA. I love what JA is doing, and I don't want them to change. However, I do think that true blue German lagers are a seriously underrepresented and underrated style here on BA and in the general craft beer mindset.

TongoRad likes this.
  22. DaltonC

DaltonC Savant (310) Idaho Oct 10, 2013

beer valley leafer madness

23. zestd

zestd Savant (345) Idaho Jan 18, 2013

New Belgium- 1554
    Deschutes- Red Chair nwpa
    Lagunitas- Lucky 13
    SA- Black Lager

djsmith1174 likes this.
  24. Stone Smoked Porter

djsmith1174 and I_BYE_MI_BEER like this.
  25. jcugafsu

jcugafsu Savant (260) Georgia Nov 15, 2013

How about SN Narwhal? Doesn't seem to get much pub, but it is definitely my favorite SN beer!

26. I see a lot of people talk about Nugget Nectar constantly around here, especially now, since it was released about a month ago. It's a great beer and deserves the hype and praise.

27. Lukenbrew

Lukenbrew Disciple (55) Ohio Jul 1, 2013

Great lakes chillwave any day of the week. Ed fitz gets all the attention, but GL is one of the more well-rounded breweries out there...

brewlover517 and bilhelm like this.
  28. Green Head IPA by Newburyport brewing

29. Starkbier

Starkbier Savant (270) Maryland Sep 19, 2002

right, and using pure Lactic acid is the norm in Germany and cheaper than buying Acidmalz (which is what we do in Downingtown).

30. I was under the impression that adding acid is not allowed under the current law. If it can be added directly, it must be from natural a natural process, right? Are your lactic bio-reactors from a German equipment manufacturer? Just a curious homebrewer.

31. Yuengling Porter, anybody?

pep and beerdedking like this.
  32. I have to say KBS is easily one of the most overrated beers out there. It's not undrinkable but there's so many more that are better. New Holland Dragons milk not only beats KBS easily, but it's easy to get and costs less. It doesn't get enough love. My second pick would be Gulden Draak Brewmasters Edition kinda wish they would do the exact same recipe and age the original, but this is much different but still amazing.

33. JamesTIA

JamesTIA Disciple (70) Ohio Nov 29, 2012

Alright, I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but the idea that beers like Ten Fidy and Chillwave are "underrated" or "looked over" is just ridiculous. Ten Fidy is 97 on BA, and Chillwave is 95 on BA. Ten Fidy is on the top 250 beers llist on BA, and in the craft beer retail store I work at (1200 diff beers), it sells out faster than most other stouts. We had a Ten Fidy glass-inclusive giveaway with purchase of draft, and we LITERALLY had a line forming out the door for when it started, and we sold out of our three cases of glassware in 6 minutes.

Also, after Chillwave's identity change, all people talked about from Great Lakes was "when is alchemy hour coming back out?" "when is alchemy hour coming back out?" "what's it called now? Chillwave? That's a dumb name. Still, can you hold me a four pack when it comes in?" Note that our store is an hour from Great Lakes brewery, and this beer flies off the shelves faster and has more hype than when we get GLXMAS and Blackout Stout COMBINED. Those of you who are saying beers like Dortmunder Gold and Eliot Ness instead? Good picks. Looked over, for sure.

Again, not trying to be a jerk - most people are making good picks - it just seems like some people are making this yet another "name my favorite beer" thread, and I had to come out and speak my mind on those two in particular.

Beermasterjarrett and CircusBoy like this.
  34. Loganyoung

Loganyoung Savant (255) Georgia Jul 16, 2011

Sweetwater IPA. Don't really care for the majority of sweetwater's offerings but I do enjoy their IPA.

35. Starkbier

Starkbier Savant (270) Maryland Sep 19, 2002

exactly true, the bio-reactors are just that - mini fermenters that produce lactic acid. Rolec from OberBayern was the lead contractor. I first saw one of these at the Steiner brewery outside of Munich, the brewmaster pulled me half a litre of turbid warm (the lacto fermentation likes to be about 120-130F) very sour product. Clears your nose pretty fast!

36. While not the best IPA, I think that Snake Dog by Flying Dog is much better than Raging Bitch which all anyone talks about with Flying Dog. Also their DIPA, The Truth is an excellant DIPA.

37. Milosockz

Milosockz Zealot (75) Illinois Jan 16, 2014

Heyoka is definitely underrated, but I still prefer most of the brews you listed over that except Daisy Cutter ;)

38. Hands down AleSmith IPA is the best shelf IPA around. if you have not tried it, you are missing out. This beer is a cult classic

smithj2154 and tikk like this.