1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Most underrated beer from a well-known brewery?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SteveB24, Mar 10, 2014.

1. teledeluxe

teledeluxe Savant (390) Illinois Nov 21, 2013

Bully! Porter

djsmith1174 likes this.
  2. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Savant (320) Ohio Mar 10, 2008

A fantastic beer that's been too long since I've had one.

The beer I came to mention was Great Lakes Glockenspiel. Released as their summer seasonal a few years ago, I fell in love with it. Perfect beer to drink outside on a hot day. I keep wishing they will release it again.

3. StLeasy

StLeasy Savant (485) Illinois Sep 8, 2013

Founders Red's Rye, Dirty Bastard, and Pale Ale
    Green Flash Hop Head Red
    Bells Midwestern Pale Ale, Amber, and Old Ale
    Stone Levitation
    Boulevard's Saison-brett (More unknown than underrated IMO, but it blows Tank 7 out of the water, and I love Tank)
    Ballast Point Big Eye
    Lagunitas Hairy Eyeball
    New Holland Hopivore (Wet Hopped pale-amberish ale)
    Alesmith Wee Heavy

4. Dirty Bastard.

ChuckHardslab, Dayman766 and M-14 like this.
  5. sphyrn

sphyrn Savant (270) Connecticut Apr 11, 2013

This question was perfectly designed for Sea Hag by NEBCO as the right answer. Better than 95% of the IPAs out there, and the 5% are things such as Gandhi Bot, Fuzzy Baby Ducks and Coriolis also by NEBCO.

brewsader likes this.
  6. RepartoCorse

RepartoCorse Disciple (55) Ohio Nov 15, 2013

How about two underrated beers from an under underrated Brewery:

Total Eclipse Breakfast Stout
    Amarillo Brillo DIPA

APH, CircusBoy and diehl07 like this.
  7. denver10

denver10 Champion (890) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

I agree with both of these.

I also think Odell's Cutthroat Porter is criminally under-rated.

djsmith1174 likes this.
  8. Mittens

Mittens Aspirant (35) Michigan Feb 19, 2014

The beer that sticks out in my mind is Founders Reds Rye. If any other brewery made this beer it would get way more buzz.

PerHops likes this.
  9. StLeasy

I don't think that's the case. Founders is one of the most popular breweries, after all. I think it's because Red's is (IMO) very well-balanced with its delicious and strong caramel malt. If the malt were more along the lines of Centennial, with that much amarillo, I bet it would do really well. I'm fine with that as long as they keep Red's around

p.s.
    You've got great taste ;)

10. Chumley22

Chumley22 Zealot (85) Minnesota Sep 28, 2013

That's because you were in South Dakota! Sorry! Yes, it is a great IPA, but I have to say, my IPA of the moment is Let it Ride from Indeed Brewing, Minneapolis!

11. ParkbrauFan

ParkbrauFan Savant (400) Iowa Feb 8, 2014

I ll have to give it a try!

12. HopBomb515

HopBomb515 Savant (410) New Jersey Jun 15, 2013

Ommegang Abbey Ale

djsmith1174 and denver10 like this.
  13. SteveB24

SteveB24 Savant (485) New York Aug 29, 2013

yeah, others hear have mentioned troegs nugget nectar and lagunitas sucks, and if those, along with ten fidy arent hyped i dont know wtf hyped means.

14. SteveB24

SteveB24 Savant (485) New York Aug 29, 2013

someone mentioned SN narwhal. i didnt love that beer but speaking of them i remember trying a bear of theirs in the early fall called flipsyde red IPA but ive never seen it sold there or anywhere else again and have never heard it mentioned and i LOVED that beer. Incredible balance and very tasty also drinkable. has anyone else tried it?

15. RebeccaMB

RebeccaMB Aficionado (180) Ohio Feb 26, 2014

Bells- Expedition stout.

16. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (485) Florida May 29, 2011

Steelhead Extra Stout from Mad River Brewing. Amazing stout.

djsmith1174 likes this.
  17. StLeasy

Flipside was new this past Fall, and you'll see it again around September. I really like it, too. Hope we see 12-packs!

Growlerguzzler likes this.
  18. Boca-X

Boca-X Advocate (570) Missouri Jan 21, 2014

Myrcenary is Odell's Double IPA... the other their regular offering. I agree and think Odell IPA is one of the best in the country...I also agree with you that Myrcenary is one of the best Double IPAs in the country...two different styles and two very good beers.

djsmith1174 likes this.
  19. themind

themind Savant (475) New Jersey Mar 14, 2011

Heady Topper, I actually think it's a 6/5

Providence likes this.
  20. Great Lakes Nosferatu
    ANchor Porter

21. schteve

schteve Savant (270) New Jersey Sep 10, 2003

People are always on here looking for a crowd pleaser keg for parties. One that anyone from BMC drinkers to craft fans would drink. This is my go-to for that purpose. I leave anything that is even moderately hoppy or bigger to cans/bottles.

22. It is and for good reason.Overshadowed by 90 minute and 60 minute which are great but Indian Brown Ale is in my opinion as good a beer as the other two. Depends on your taste buds.

HookerBrews likes this.
  23. You are so right.Everything is just fantastic and ridiculously inexpensive for what you get.I never
    walk out of the store without something from them and something else from another brewery.

24. zach60614

zach60614 Savant (300) Illinois May 1, 2012

Bell's Oarsman

bjhorvat likes this.
  25. Ale smith IPA and idiot IPA from Coronado are good

26. sicilian

sicilian Savant (270) Florida Sep 30, 2008

CCB Tocobaga and NB Fat Tire are 2 of my current favorite Non "OMG!", standard gravity, mostly available(other than the Toco) beers that are rarely raved about online.. People just say they are good beers but I think they deserve more praise.

Halluxone and Beer4B like this.
  27. I was just coming here to say Nosferatu! Also Defiant Christmas Ale is a winner that is super underrated and I don't think Rushing Duck is getting enough recognition. If people knew how good Rushing Duck War Elephant IIPA was they would be beating down the doors.

28. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

Southern Tier Live is easily the best Pale Ale I've ever had. When fresh, it has orange/tangerine flavors that rival most any great IPAs.

keithmurray likes this.
  29. diehl07

diehl07 Savant (270) Ohio May 29, 2012

Love both of these beers. Completely forgot about them till you mentioned them. I know what I drinking all weekend.

30. diehl07

diehl07 Savant (270) Ohio May 29, 2012

One of my seasonal favorites that come to mind is Great Divide Hibernation Ale. Drink it fresh or age it, either way I enjoy it.

djsmith1174 and keithmurray like this.
  31. Under rated for sure with a 86 rating. Doppel-Hirsch Doppelbock. I'm enjoying one now. Very similar to Korbinian

djsmith1174 and TongoRad like this.
  32. One of my faves, without a doubt!

afterexile likes this.
  33. jkd03c

jkd03c Savant (380) Florida May 19, 2013

Sixpoint Global Warmer and Founders Porter for sure.

34. Maine Beer Company Peeper Ale and Rising Tide Daymark. Two of my favorite spring/summer beers that are overshadowed by each breweries IPAs (lunch and Calcutta cutter)

35. Dark Horse Scotty Karate is underrated

djsmith1174 and afterexile like this.
  36. amano_h

amano_h Savant (490) California Mar 18, 2014

Call me crazy, but I think Brooklyn Lager is one of their most underrated beers yet. I had it for the first time on tap at Barclay's with a pack of McClure's chips. Maybe it was the chips that did me in, but it's been my go-to whenever I'm at a bar with limited choices...

37. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

Shadow of a Doubt, by RR. I know it's not the most accessible beer, but its totally overshadowed by the sours and elders, and I'll be damned if it's not an incredibly awesome beer.

38. WadeBridgman

WadeBridgman Savant (255) Illinois Oct 18, 2013

I'd probably consider Alpha King by FFF not necessarily underrated but definitely undermentioned.

39. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Savant (295) New York Aug 18, 2012

Troegs Perpetual IPA
    Ithaca Casca Zilla
    Heavy Seas Small Craft Warning

beerdedking likes this.
  40. Not underrated, but I always forget what a solid brew stone's ipa is with all their other ipas floating around. Very well balanced and for 4.50$ at my local albertsons, it's hard to beat.