1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Most underrated beer from a well-known brewery?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SteveB24, Mar 10, 2014.

1. I don't think I have a single friend (that might just be because I have +/-3 friends) who likes Dogfish Head Sixty-One IPA. I could drink it all day.

2. Ditto. I absolutely love it.

3. I'll add these to the list....

Cream Stout
    Boston Ale
    Black Lager

djsmith1174, superspak and BWM-77 like this.
  4. Never could a truer statement exist. Red Chair is absolutely fantastic. That and I noticed SN Kellerweis mentioned: I second that as well.

zestd and MighHighBrewer like this.
  5. I haven't gone through this entire thread to see if this was mentioned....Sierra Nevada Stout.
    My favorite American stout...

6. Sure, I'm in. Add Black and Tan, and Lager too while your at it...

jhartley likes this.
  7. Rye Pale Ale from Terrapin. They get a ton of love, and rightfully so, for their bigger more creative beers but this is just a great beer wonderfully executed.

8. volta

volta Savant (330) New Jersey Dec 21, 2008

Westbrook has a very strong lineup but their IPA is very underrated.

2beerdogs likes this.
  9. Donco

Donco Savant (450) Pennsylvania Aug 12, 2013

Not sure how much of a "well known" brewery Clown Shoes is, but I love both Hammer of the Holy and Very Angry Beast.

hardy008 likes this.
  10. Wiz

Wiz Initiate (10) Pennsylvania Feb 14, 2014

11. buddha5050

buddha5050 Savant (325) Michigan Sep 27, 2012

I know many may not agree but I don't think Bell's Cherry Stout, especially after it has a year or so on it, it also depends on how the cherry crop is...

rustyeaton and zp6167a like this.
  12. I've already responded to this thread and I can't remember what my answer was. If I didn't say Stone Smoked Porter, I should have.

Also, Sierra Nevada Kellerweis.

13. Ryan_K

Ryan_K Aspirant (30) Illinois Jan 4, 2014

Maybe this is as popular as I think it should be, but I don't hear much about it: Deschutes Obsidian (on nitro). This is one a handful of beers that I always order when I see it on a draft list.

djsmith1174 likes this.
  14. rgordon

rgordon Savant (370) North Carolina Apr 26, 2012

Bell's Pale Ale, Smuttynose Shoals Pale Ale and Robust Porter, and Ipswich Original (I think this is the right name). These are four can could sustain me. Read:Smuttynose underrrated.

JayT and fscottkey like this.
  15. ChuckHardslab

ChuckHardslab Savant (370) Texas Jan 25, 2012

Ska Modus Hoperandi, my favorite IPA. A number of my beer drinking buds haven't heard of it. I bought a couple cases this past Christmas and gave six packs as presents. Every one I gave it to asked me where they could find it themselves.

16. Anchor Brekle's Brown

BergBeer, Socalfan21 and TheGator321 like this.
  17. the Black IPA is really good as well

18. mudbug

mudbug Savant (490) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Not sure about under rated as I don't put much belief in the ratings, but under appreciated has to go to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Where would any of this be without that one beer?

2beerdogs likes this.
  19. seconding and thirding sea hag because I cannot say enough good things about this beer and it doesn't get nearly enough attention. a fresh pour of sea hag rivals gandhi bot in my book.

off the top of my head, i'll also give shout outs in general to green flash, avery and allagash for being a few breweries that are quietly but consistently making great beer almost all the way down their lineups.

20. Leinenkugel big eddy stout.

BWM-77 likes this.
  21. 3sheets2wind

3sheets2wind Aficionado (230) Texas Mar 12, 2013

Lost Abbey Devotion. Delightful Belgian pale ale. Underrated

22. Anchors Christmas is awesome..another underrated beer for me is -Maui brewing Co Mana Wheat.One of the best summer brews IMO.

Also Santa fe Java stout is top notch stout in my book...I could only imagine how much better it would get after being aged in some bourbon barrels,....maybe makers mark :)

23. Dogfish Head 75 Minute. That's a damn tasty beer that is never talked about.

turbotype and dbrelsfo like this.
  24. bubseymour

bubseymour Advocate (650) Maryland Oct 30, 2010

Troegs Cultivator. One of my favorite Troegs beers to date and haven't heard much buzz about this one yet.

25. bubseymour

bubseymour Advocate (650) Maryland Oct 30, 2010

I second the Yards Brawler. A great session beer and a style not hyped much (ESB I think?).

26. texasalec

texasalec Aficionado (135) Texas Jul 18, 2013

Three Floyds, Robert the Bruce.

ChanChan and jimmyfishkin like this.
  27. Beer4B

Beer4B Savant (355) Florida Feb 28, 2014

CCB Tocobaga Red

This might not qualify as more readily available...but it is for me suckas!

Halluxone, adam42381 and dbrelsfo like this.
  28. Lagunitas Maximus I feel doesn't get a lot of mentions for it being a great double IPA and being very affordable. Also Ballast Point Sea Monster doesn't get mentioned a lot when talking about Imperial stouts

29. StLeasy

StLeasy Savant (485) Illinois Sep 8, 2013

Another one I forgot is Prairie's Beer That Saved Christmas, great stuff yet only a "good" rating on here.

30. Harnkus

Harnkus Savant (385) New York Oct 31, 2013

Dark Mild

31. Harnkus

Harnkus Savant (385) New York Oct 31, 2013

Amazing beer.

32. Tyrus

Tyrus Aficionado (245) California Jan 17, 2013

Hottenroth from The Bruery was one of my favorites of last summer...

MPorts25 and Farnswurth like this.
  33. Dogfish Head Immort Ale. Burton Baton and Palo Santo Marron get more attention, but this one is easily the best of their non-XX minute/non-Ancient Ales offerings.

34. sajaffe1

sajaffe1 Savant (360) Pennsylvania Feb 16, 2013

Samuel Adams Noble Pils

BWM-77 likes this.
  35. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (680) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

Bell's Oarsman

MPorts25 likes this.
  36. Florida Beer Co. Florida Lager. Very nice lager for a thirsty summer afternoon

37. Coronado Idiot IPA

38. SteveB24

SteveB24 Savant (495) New York Aug 29, 2013

So i love Jai Alai, if it was the only beer i drank again i'd be unsatisfied but not unhappy, but i just purchased a beer called last stop IPA, which is part of a series called bus brewing which is made by cigar city and i was really impressed. also from that series was an excellent, very unique wheat beer called are wheat there yet, if anybody sees these beers i highly recommend them.

NavyGuy, Modernrickk and cyrushire like this.
  39. 77apm

77apm Savant (385) Illinois Nov 10, 2013

Toppling Goliath Zeelander!! There is no finer example of a Nelson hopped IPA anywhere else. The earthy taste takes a little getting used to at first. But the description I give to people when I hand them a bottle is that the taste will hit you like you got punched in the mouth by the All Blacks rugby team!! Highly recommended

richobrien, robear and Woodman70 like this.
  40. BergBeer

BergBeer Savant (255) Rhode Island Aug 21, 2013

I will scream Liberty Ale from Anchor from the fing roof tops!

Also, Coronado Mermaid's red! Super solid Red