Most Underrated Brewery

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RussBecker1, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Thanks Max, we appreciate the love!

sacrelicio likes this.
  2. alexipa

alexipa Savant (420) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

Two Brothers. I visit family in Illinois all the time, and every time I'm completely blown away by their offerings. If I could have any single brewery distribute to Colorado that currently doesn't, it would 100% be Two Brothers.

Kevin_Young and haruspexvic like this.
  3. aedeos

aedeos Aficionado (150) Washington Dec 15, 2007

Can we all just shut the fuck up about Quishnam?

Henry has said time and time again that he wants nothing to do with the larger beer community. He makes Hill Farmstead look like BMC distribution, for better or worse.

That being said, it's criminal that he isn't more well known. But if that's what he wants...

YaKnowBrady, leedorham and draheim like this.
  4. Have to agree with this post. Chad can't be rated high enough for his work these days.

5. TX-Badger

TX-Badger Champion (935) Texas Jun 14, 2012

New Glarus Brewing Co. gets my vote.

nickapalooza86 likes this.
  6. quasimoto

quasimoto Savant (350) Ohio Sep 14, 2002

Fat heads, Cleveland OH.Wins IPA contests left and right, also wins a lot for his Baltic porter.

jeffdill and BB1313 like this.
  7. maximep

maximep Savant (265) New York Oct 23, 2009

No doubt, keep doing your thing.

8. hardy008

hardy008 Champion (760) Minnesota Jan 12, 2008

Steel Toe. A small brewery making great beers.

9. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Red Peak makes Hill Farmstead taste like BMC too. ;)

YaKnowBrady likes this.
  10. bennetj17

bennetj17 Advocate (645) Arizona Oct 30, 2005

I'll second Anchor Brewing.

Lordkrystic and sacrelicio like this.
  11. Fatpants

Fatpants Disciple (70) Minnesota Oct 16, 2009

Good call. I know who they are. Love the Steelhead Double IPA especially.

Lordkrystic likes this.
  12. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (475) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

I am gonna say Dark Horse....they make so many different varieties of beers that get overlooked....and I would even say that Plead the 5th and BB Plead the 5th are underrated!

cjgiant, kirkse and maximum12 like this.
  13. Really want to say Heller-Trum, but with 600 years more experience on them, I have to say Weihenstephan.

sacrelicio likes this.
  14. I have always wanted to try your lineup but it is hard to buy beer from across the contry with no date on the can. So suggest that to the higher ups or if you are the higher ups get on it!

15. Noelito76

Noelito76 Advocate (535) New York Oct 30, 2004

North Coast

1987GN and Sunhunters like this.
  16. denver10

denver10 Champion (900) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Funkwerks.

Obviously, their limited distribution is a significant roadblock towards allowing greater, national appreciation towards them.

Also, I think their beers are best appreciated on tap further limiting the audience.

That said, when there are local threads (i.e. in the Mountain Region subforum) telling posters to ignore prior suggestions for visiting Funkwerks when in town, I'd argue that suggests a relative level of underappreciation from those in the know of the brewery. Personally, I think these guys are creating some great beers that are best appreciated at their taproom (or in local bars that offer their stuff). For Belgian styled brews, I don't think there is anyone in Colorado who can compete with these guys. I am a huge fan.

SFACRKnight and alexipa like this.
  17. hilgart1

hilgart1 Savant (405) Illinois Feb 20, 2011

Central waters....always solid stuff

nickapalooza86 likes this.
  18. dennho

dennho Savant (345) New York Oct 29, 2006

I admit I'm a homer but my vote goes to Wormtown. Sixty + beers in two years is pretty good Be Hoppy might be my "desert island" beer. A 90 BA rating. You want barrel aged, no problem. You want 100% local ingredients in a beer, OK. How about an eggnog beer? Whatever.

"A piece of Mass in every glass" very cool.

grnnectar and slim2043 like this.
  19. claytri

claytri Savant (455) Maryland Jan 17, 2004

I do think the old brewers often get overlooked and under appreciated currently. I'll second the Samuel Smith's vote, and add Schneider's to the list. Both have outstanding lineups, and deliver wonderful beers time and again.

20. danny, very familiar with them; daughter goes to school there (HSU); likely there's numerous others like me here in NorCal familiar with them, good choice on your part

21. cneville

cneville Initiate (0) Ohio Sep 16, 2010

People might think otherwise, but Great Lakes is to me. People love Blackout Stout and Nosferatu, and rightly so, but their year-round lineup has some of the best in their styles. Eliot Ness is great, and Eddy Fitz is an incredible beer that I often take for granted. I also don't recall ever having a bad beer here.

Brew33, smutty33 and MaxSpang like this.
  22. YaKnowBrady

YaKnowBrady Initiate (0) New Jersey Jul 23, 2010

All this talk of Red Peak prompted me to double check my cellar last night, came across my last Britikka! Absolutely amazing, even with 3+ years on it. I can't believe that the PNW hasn't brought this brewery up in all of the numerous underrated breweries threads there have been in the past.

Also can't believe I forgot about it for so long....

23. kirkse

kirkse Initiate (0) Florida Dec 31, 2010

I'll also put in a vote for Dark Horse. Never had a beer from them I didn't like.

24. Smuttynose is under-appreciated. In my humblest of ultra-righteous opinions.

Sunhunters, sacrelicio and smutty33 like this.
  25. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

Couldn't agree w/ ya more ! Well said............;)

Cheers

26. JEdmund

JEdmund Savant (465) Kansas Oct 23, 2006

North Coast comes to mind. They don't get a lot of attention (other than for Old Raspy), probably because they aren't constantly unveiling new brews, but their core lineup is pretty solid.

Sunhunters and cavedave like this.
  27. smutty33

mmmmm..........Smooth Hoperator...................:D

Cheers

28. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Advocate (515) Ohio Jan 28, 2011

I drink Eddy Fitz all the time, and every single time I think to myself "Wow, this beer is incredible". Love me some Great Lakes.

Brew33 likes this.
  29. smutty33

I need to try more from this brewery for sure.

Cheers

30. Southern Tier excellent line up of beers and most are done very well.

nickapalooza86 and Sunhunters like this.
  31. With their re-branding, I wholeheartedly disagree.

32. haruspexvic

haruspexvic Savant (265) Illinois Aug 23, 2012

Cisco Brewing

Brew33 and RussBecker1 like this.
  33. Victory

34. Long Trail

MVotter likes this.
  35. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

If Dark Horse is underrated, it's a vote for them from me. Apparently I've had the cream of their crop (BBPT5) and I highly doubt any American bourbon-aged big stout will impress me more. Let's just say Goose Island, Founders and Cigar City have their work cut out for them.

36. YaKnowBrady

YaKnowBrady Initiate (0) New Jersey Jul 23, 2010

Cigar City, maybe. Their barrelling program is hit or miss sometimes (compare AB Hunahpu to Rum Barrel Big Sound).

However, Dark Horse, having 1 distributed (Brewery only release?) BA beer, and only another handful on tap or one-offs, puts them well outside the spectrum of the likes of Goose Island and Founders, as well as Firestone Walker. These breweries have top-tier barrelling programs, far surpassing DH, and ther have the volume, ratings and demand to prove it. I've had BBPT5 before, and while it's an excellent BBL Stout, nowhere near what these other breweries can do, with the BCBS variants and Founder's -Breakfast Stouts. I'd say DH is the one with their work cut out for them.

37. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Too small to be "rated" at all!

38. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Widmer Brothers. They do all of the interesting high concept beers that the more "elite" breweries do, and they usually knock it out of the park. Their Rotator IPAs, SXNW, Old Embalmer, Marionberry Hibiscus Gose, etc. are all great. Always cheaper and easier to find than their more hyped brethren.

cjgiant and mnstorm99 like this.
  39. jpfromb

jpfromb Aficionado (110) Oregon Apr 9, 2010

Does anyone have a burlap sack, flashlight, or better yet, state of the art night vision goggles? If so, we can go out for a Red Peak snipe hunt. If I'm wrong I'll fry up some fresh snipe tonight!

NJBeerNerd likes this.
  40. jampics2

jampics2 Advocate (730) Ohio Dec 19, 2008

This is the truth.