Most Underrated Brewery

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RussBecker1, Sep 19, 2012.

1. I have yet to have a bad beer by them. Usually way above average with everything. Here in RI their beer is readily available and everyone talks up Stone, DFH..great breweries but not any better than Victory.

gcamparone likes this.
  2. tjkinate

tjkinate Savant (275) Nebraska Jan 13, 2011

Texas breweries in general. Freetail makes some very tasty sours, would have to say they are highly underrated.

3. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Perhaps I care too little about volume, distribution and marketing then. I just loved the beer in my glass.

YaKnowBrady likes this.
  4. socon67

socon67 Advocate (680) New York Jun 18, 2010

I got to try Yards a couple years ago in Philly and I've had their beer in Atlantic City and in shops in Jersey. With all the options in the Philly area I think Yards is under the radar. The Philly Pale is nice and Brawler or the Presidential series stuff is pretty tasty.

sacrelicio and Steeeve like this.
  5. I don't think smuttynose gets near enough praise for the caliber of beers they produce- I'd put their entire spread up against any other brewery out there.

I think Ayinger is a brewery that is unknown/ignored by a lot of beer geeks.

1up, Sunhunters, claytri and 4 others like this.
  6. I definitely say Weyerbacher...they have a lot of awesome beers that luckily you do still always find easily....for now :)

7. Beerista

Beerista Zealot (95) Massachusetts Sep 11, 2012

I'm a huge Smutty fan, but I wouldn't call them underrated. They get a fair amount of respect.

8. Beerista

Beerista Zealot (95) Massachusetts Sep 11, 2012

I'd substitute Ipswich for Mayflower for Boston area underrated. Both breweries make excellent English oriented beers (my personal favorites: Mayflower Spring Hop; Ipswich Dark Ale). But Ipswich is cheaper.

Anchor is a good pick for nationally overlooked.

9. Sixpoint and De Struisse....love them both.
    Maybe Crooked Stave, kunhenn, crossroads, cambidge...

10. Steeeve

Steeeve Savant (265) Pennsylvania Nov 16, 2010

I will second this. I really hate the Philly Pale Ale, but I love Brawler, the IPA, George Washington Porter and Poor Richard's Tavern Spruce. I would throw another vote to Philly Brewing Co. All very solid beers, and very affordable. Joe Coffee Porter is one of my favorites, as is Shackamaximum.

11. Cyrano41

Cyrano41 Savant (295) Virginia Aug 7, 2009

Weihenstephan is outstanding, but is having the top rated Hefe and numerous other medal winners qualify as "underrated"? Ayinger, scheinder are also great but I find them on the menu at serious beer bars and recommended by fine purveyours of brew. Otter Creek is good but not so talked about. In any case I'll search out all of them again, some as soon as tomorrow!

12. for me its Odells the regular line up is great and the single serve series stellar a great brewery

pryopen, bstyle, buffs9 and 2 others like this.
  13. I'm also going to throw in Left Hand brewery....they put out some nice beers....

alexipa likes this.
  14. societe.

DinoStyle and ehammond1 like this.
  15. I agree with Weyerbacher, they do some really solid stuff!

16. My vote goes to Hill Farmstead or Lawson's Finest Liquids. Two under the radar breweries if you ask me...

17. LMT

LMT Savant (340) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

Every beer from Weihenstephan and Victory that I've had have been consistently terrific, but I don't know if any of them are really under-rated. Both of these are mentioned above, but both get consistently good reviews for a wide-range of their beers.

For under-rated, I'd pick Terrapin & New Belgium.

18. joepais

joepais Savant (380) Maine Oct 5, 2007

Unibroue... great price point, solid brews. what more could you ask for?

gtermi, Lordkrystic, dcs1548 and 2 others like this.
  19. suncrust

suncrust Savant (295) Washington Apr 17, 2011

What's the burlap sack for?

All you need is some peyote and 48 hours without food or water in the deserts of eastern WA... then you'll find Red Peak. No flashlight necessary. I think Jim Morrison's weird, half-naked Indian friend can help guide you.

20. Head-high

Head-high Aficionado (150) Virginia Jun 15, 2012

Rarely hear Jolly Pumpkin talked about. Also a vote for Saint Somewhere.

franklinn likes this.
  21. I know this is an Underrated thread, but saw this on facebook, and immediately thought about some earlier comments about DFH. Apparently there are some folks out there that absolutely love it...more love for DFH than they have good sense. IMO :confused:

[​IMG]

22. Acforster2

Acforster2 Savant (280) Florida Jan 17, 2011

Great divide. I know yeti gets a ton of love. But their entire line-up is outstanding. I've never had a bad beer from them.

1up, gtermi and Zimbo like this.
  23. lurpy1

lurpy1 Advocate (505) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

Boulevard. BBQ and Saison Brett are about as good as American-made Belgian-styles get.

24. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

We did a crazy side by side of a lot of Oktoberfest Marzens last year and Ayinger was certainly the best of them. Since have tried the rest of their lineup that is available here and they all are delicious.

1up likes this.
  25. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Hill Farmstead under the radar :confused:?

Guess you haven't checked the trade forum recently. Or the best of styles for that matter.

1up and robinsmv like this.
  26. their weizenbock is a go-to for me. Fantastic.

1up and cavedave like this.
  27. ithacabaron

ithacabaron Savant (385) California Jul 16, 2003

It certainly has to be on the short list. In the same vein, I'd nominate Plzensky Prazdroj; Pilsner Urquell is a revelation fresh, and there's no question it gets slagged due to its "big brewery" association.

28. This is what I was thinking, like stated above the Yeti gets lots of attention, but the rest of their line stacks up well to any other breweries, their beers like Collete, Rumble, Old Ruffian, Titan, Hercules, Wolfgang, etc. are all outstanding beers

1up likes this.
  29. wow some hate in here and I am not a DFH fan but seems that Weyrbacher and Heavy Seas under rated IMO

30. Tschnab

Tschnab Savant (385) New York Aug 21, 2010

Cambridge brewing company.

31. SchuStar

SchuStar Savant (295) Illinois Mar 21, 2011

32. I dont buy beer based on labels like was talked about on the first page. I can only imagine if people got so stupid that we started buying milk and eggs based on cool labels.

33. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (275) Washington Jul 18, 2012

For underrated, I'm a huge fan of Big Sky. Summer Honey, Big Sky IPA, Slow Elk Stout, and Trout Slayer are all really good, easy drinking beers. I need to try the Old BlueHair I have sitting in the cellar some day!

pryopen, Sunhunters and hardy008 like this.
  34. Axic10

Axic10 Savant (425) New Jersey Mar 15, 2008

Don't forget Old Leghumper. If it weren't for Great Lakes, this would be the best porter made in OH.

35. very well put.

36. I was being facetious ;)

Lordkrystic likes this.
  37. Axic10

Axic10 Savant (425) New Jersey Mar 15, 2008

If anything your post has made crave Old Leghumper more than I have in the past few years. When I lived in Cleveland, I used to drink it like crazy, I haven't had it in probably 3 years now. Next trip to Wegmans it will be purchased!

38. I had it down here, and it was old as hell. Then I had it 69 Taps in Medina, and it was on par with Eddy Fitz. which is alot coming from me.

39. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (275) Washington Jul 18, 2012

Man, I lived in San Leandro for 31 years and when I moved in 2001 they were just kinda...meh. Decent, but nothing to write home about. Now I see all these accolades. Makes me weep, just a little bit! Seems like perhaps they were called something else at first, but I could be mistaken...Lind's or something like that.

40. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I think they were taken over by the people behind Triple Rock/Jupiter between then and now.