1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Most Underrated Brewery

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RussBecker1, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Axic10

Axic10 Savant (425) New Jersey Mar 15, 2008

I hear you. For a while for me it was my go to porter, but I think I got burnt out on it. Definitely need to revisit again. It's weird to think that about 4 years ago, I felt that this was the second best brewery in my opinion and now nobody really talks about it with Jackie O's, Columbus, Fat Heads, etc. popping up.

2. jackie Os is hands down the best brewery in OH. Theres like no contest, honestly. Their sour program and BA stuff is on par with the rest of the nation. Their regulars are solid too. Great Lakes has to be second because of how solid they are. Thirsty Dog and Hoppin Frog tie for third. Every other brewery makes one fantastic beer (White Rajah, Columbus IPA, Head Hunter, Willoughby Moonshadow, Weasel Boy BA Anastasia, etc).

I honestly miss the beer from OH, but the beer in NC is pretty damn tasty.

3. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (265) Washington Jul 18, 2012

Man I miss the Bay Area. Back when I was living in SL, Porky's Pizza was a huge advocate of Drake's. What I wouldn't give for a Pizza Sub from there right now.

4. Axic10

Axic10 Savant (425) New Jersey Mar 15, 2008

I've been completely underwhelmed by Jackie O's from what I've had (we did a tasting with about 15-20 different bottles). But that's for another thread.

I do like the Peanut Butter Chocolate Porter from Willoughby, so I'd say that they make 2 fantastic beers, but that's just like my opinion man.

5. yea Moonshadow was good, I liked the Railway Razz too, but they were out of the Peanut Butter porter last time.

jackie Dark Robustic 1, Funky Southpaw, and Java the Stout blew my mind, and they had a smoked amber that was awesome. Dilly Dally (overly west coast hopped pale) was awesome.

6. ahijevyc

ahijevyc Disciple (70) Colorado Apr 30, 2010

was disappointed my fave beer store was out of Lost Abbey's Serpent's Stout and was about to try their Ten Commandments (which I'm sure is good). But saw Left Hand's Wake up Dead Imperial Stout for $4 less. Excellent choice, and props to Left Hand for such a big barrelly beer!

7. spoonhawk

spoonhawk Savant (345) Iowa Dec 3, 2010

New Glarus gets the shaft because of its limited distribution.
    Among those brewers for whom most (in the colloquial sense rather than the literal) have had at least some exposure, I would go with Southern Tier.

nickapalooza86 and Sunhunters like this.
  8. Crackerroll

Crackerroll Savant (295) Missouri Jan 16, 2011

Schafly!! After that maybe Smuttynose...love their IPA.

bluejacket74 likes this.
  9. Ain't it the truth. They do have one outstanding range.

10. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

This is one of my votes. Their Smokestack and even their year round and seasonal beers are just delicious. My wife loves their Wheat.

rocdoc1 likes this.
  11. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Avery and Great Divide.

I never really hear people talk about these two breweries outside of two of their respective product lines... Avery's 'Dictator Series' (Maharaja, Czar, Kaiser) and Great Divide's Yeti series (Original, Chocolate, Belgian Style, Espresso, Oak-Aged, Barrell-Aged).

People overlook that they also have a lot more beer and that both of those breweries turn out world-class product throughout their entire line.

Particularly I love Avery's barrel-aging program & Great Divide's IPAs.

davey101 and Sunhunters like this.
  12. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Doh, I hate when I miss facetiousness, oops.

13. Lordkrystic

Another really underrated brewery on the West Coast is Pelican. Never had anything by them that I wouldn't drink again. Great beer.

hopfenunmaltz and dimitrov like this.
  14. Lordkrystic

And a great price.

hopfenunmaltz likes this.
  15. dimitrov

dimitrov Aficionado (120) Oregon Mar 8, 2012

Boneyard in Bend, they aren't nearly talked about enough in my mind.

Kevin_Young likes this.
  16. Big Sky Brewery out of Montana. I haven't had a bad beer from them yet. Their Bobo Porter and Summer Honey beers are exceptional. Plus they can and bottle a lot of their mainline offerings, so it gives the consumer a choice.

pryopen, Sunhunters and Lordkrystic like this.
  17. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

Just had this for the first time (actually enjoying it right now!!!) I received it as an extra in part of a trade I made with libbey for an Extra-Sour, and some other stuff on his end, and although I'm excited to try the Extra-Sour, this was a HUGE surprise.... I'm certainly going to search it out in the future.

libbey mentioned the owner being somewhat difficult to deal with, but he managed to get some other stuff, and he is holding some for me (no idea what they're called) but I'm looking forward to them.

EDIT:

Sorry for the long dead revival on this one.... I ran to grab the bottle, and did a BA search on "Britikka" and this was about the only thing that came up!

drperry11, FTowne and YaKnowBrady like this.
  18. goveia75

goveia75 Savant (260) California Mar 20, 2011

This one is easy for me: Cambridge Brewing Company! Only underwhelming beer I've had from them is their pumpkin. Otherwise, I've enjoyed everything else I've had from them (especially their barrel program)

19. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Champion (755) Ohio Jul 4, 2005

+1 for Schlafly. They make a wide selection of beers, and more often than not they do a good job with them.

20. JulianC

JulianC Savant (335) Illinois Mar 9, 2012

Two Brothers

Kevin_Young, cnbrown313 and Lutter like this.
  21. Ballast Point

Everything they make is delicious, from their pale and wheat to their imperial stout. The Dorado and Sculpin are peerless, category-defining beers in my mind. The beers are highly rated of course, but I don't hear much noise about them in the community.

22. RichD

RichD Advocate (640) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

Definitely Samuel Smith. I also think that Maine Beer Co. is underrated. I've never had a bad beer from either of them.

23. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I'm going with avery simply because they have been knocking it out of the park with their barrel aged series, yet nobody mentions it. Also trinity brewing. They make some of the best saisons I have ever had.

24. ThickNStout

ThickNStout Savant (495) Georgia Mar 8, 2011

I completely agree. They may be too "local" to get the props they deserve in this thread.
    ...and I like your play on words- I'm stoked to try their Liquid Bliss very soon. Mmmm, peanut butter chocolate porter...

25. Short's. Very creative brews, solid flagships.

26. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Berkshire Brewing. Very well made beers for an amazing price ($4 for a bomber of a coffee porter with a 90/90 rating on here over 400+ reviews.....yup!). I especially love that their IPA's are mostly english style and never over the top. Great balance and fresh flavor > palate wrecking bitterness.

27. I gotta say Mendocino ( Eye of the Hawk is great value) and Anderson Valley . Old School breweries that don't care about the latest trend or releasing whales.

28. mweso2000

mweso2000 Savant (325) Georgia Apr 10, 2010

Odell and victory

29. I second the St. Somewhere and Great Divide votes. Also, Heavy Seas' Cannon series (Loose, Dubbel, Black) is awesome but everything else I've had by them is eh...

30. mattdbh

mattdbh Savant (275) California Feb 21, 2009

Bear Republic. Drake's.

Sunhunters likes this.
  31. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (780) Florida Feb 1, 2012

I totally agree.

Just based on heresy alone, they rock.

32. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

For me to consider a brewery underrated it means its underestimated not that no one has heard of it. I think the biggest one is Leinenkugel's sure they make some swill (summer shandy has to be the most disgusting beer ever made) but its for people who wanna drink swill. If you ever had any of their Big Eddy beers they are not only great brews but incredibly consistent.

33. Big Bay Brewing......Only brew about 4 or 5 beers but the one's I had were awfully good.

34. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,170) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

Schlafly

35. +1 Bear Republic. They do some solid distribution beers, and they have a great rotation of innovative and delicious draft only-s.

mattdbh likes this.
  36. Indybier

Indybier Aficionado (145) Illinois Nov 15, 2011

Agreed. 1. The beer is freakin' solid. 2. Because they put their stuff in 6xer's and generally fall in >10 bones, I can't not have them on a regular basis.

While I'm at it: Metropolitan is a very solid, underrated Chicago brewery, as well.

37. Alkohollokaust

Alkohollokaust Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2012

Columbus brewing company. I dont hear much about them despite all the good beers they have.

5thOhio, ddedhed and riemster like this.
  38. MVotter

MVotter Savant (270) New York Sep 9, 2007

I'll second the nomination of Long Trail!

39. MVotter

MVotter Savant (270) New York Sep 9, 2007

...and, place into nomination: Syracuse, NY's Middle Ages Brewery.

frothyhead likes this.
  40. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Definitely agree w/Anderson Valley, Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout is good good stuff and their other offerings have never disappointed.