1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Most Underrated Brewery

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RussBecker1, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Member

Thirsty Dog definitely could use some love. Only 2 I didn't like thus far, were Labrador Lager & their Pumpkin Ale, neither were very palate worthy.
    BeerKangaroo and riemster like this.
  2. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Member

I too have come back around to seeking out Anchor and damn their styles are solid as hell and stand up to anybody's stuff. I agree with you on the Porter and I can't seem to pass up single bottles of Old Foghorn when I see it they have definitely wowed me after staying away for damn near 10 years for no real reason.
  3. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Member

I buy the John Barleycorn barleywine whenever I see it need to try more by Mad River but damn this stuff is good
  4. FlakyBiscuit

FlakyBiscuit Member

Yards....(except for that spruce beer...eewww) has some great ales. Good post. Lots of good candidates
  5. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Member

Old Foghorn is fantastic, but I just cant to Steam, Liberty Ale, or Humming. The floral hops dont work for my tastes.
  6. SubpoenaDeuces

SubpoenaDeuces Member

The answer to this thread is Beachwood BBQ.

The alternate answers, while correct, are not the most correct answers. The proctors will instruct you to focus on which of the following is the best answer. Choices DFH and Wyeyerbacher were provided as red herrings for examinees who did not read the entire question. Because Beachwood BBQ answers the prompt most completely, it is the most correct answer.
    UnknownKoger, 1424IpA and drgarage like this.
  7. mporter13

mporter13 Member

Just had denogginizer and hopocalypse this past week when I visited the bay area. I'm surprised they don't get more credit too.
    Paccamacca likes this.
  8. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Member

As I am drinking their AIPA I am going to recommend schlafly. One of my favorite pumpkins, 2 stellar IPAs (tipa/aipa), a good bba stout and oaked barleywine. Haven't had much of their year rounds but from what I hear they're nothing great. They seem like a hit or miss brewery, but the hits I've had don't get a lot of mention but they are really great. TIPA was crazy good.
    Jamison85 likes this.
  9. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Member

Boulevard. I first had their standard wheat in an airport bar somewhere and loved it. Then I found their Smokestack Series and I've been hooked on them ever since. I just wish I could buy it closer than Oklahoma City.
  10. Nectar

Nectar Member

Victory. Yes they are talked about but I think underrated.

Anyone remember when Storm King was Top 10? Oak horizontal, headwaters PA, Hop Wallop, Hop devil. All fantastic.
    creepinjeeper, dan027 and JArena13 like this.
  11. Rainier

Rainier Member

jester king
    Cvescalante likes this.
  12. WilliamLee

WilliamLee Member

+1 for Samuel Smith. Everything I have had from them has been great.
    ufmj, GotWad629 and napier51 like this.
  13. superspak

superspak Member

Utah's Epic Brewing has really been climbing up my respect ladder recently. Sure there are a few misses; but Wit Beer, Santa Cruz Brown, Fest Devious Ofest, Double Skull Doppelbock, Fermentation w/o Representation Pumpkin porter, and of course Big Bad Baptist are all great style examples that were delicious. Most of the rest were still very enjoyable(Hop Syndrome, Brainless Golden, Imperial IPA, Imperial Stout etc), but I am still working my way through their portfolio of offerings.
    cjgiant, creepinjeeper and fmccormi like this.
  14. zamboni1

zamboni1 Member

I'm gonna say Boston Beer Co. Sam Adams doesn't get much love and is often derided as a training wheels brewery but honestly, they make fantastic products. Though it's probably not cool to say so. (And I second whoever said Anchor Brewing, too.)
  15. JArena13

JArena13 Member

Troegs.
    hornsup and dan027 like this.
  16. just_a_guy

just_a_guy Member

going to have to pull the local card and go with 'devils backbone brewing company. they boast two good ipa's, a great schwarzbier, and a decent lager as well. i also had the opportunity to meet a few of the employees at a local festival not too long ago and they seemed like really solid dudes.
  17. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Member

Back Forty Brewery in Gadsden, AL makes some pretty good beers. Their Truck Stop Honey Brown Ale is very good (not mind-blowing, but very tasty). And the Freckle Belly IPA is fantastic as well. However, I do believe their distribution is limited to the south east US.
  18. Ivegotmule

Ivegotmule Member

I'm gonna stick with my state and say The Duck-Rabbit. Normal brews are great, seasonals are outstanding.
    tobelerone likes this.
  19. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Member

The real question is... how many times must a brewery be mentioned on a thread about underrated breweries before it is automatically removed from consideration?

o_O

I'll nominate Tallgrass Brewing in Manhattan, Kansas. They have an outstanding summertime pale wheat ale--Halcyon--as well as a nice pale ale (8-Bit) and a tripel (Velvet Rooster). They put all of their beers in tallboys except for the Halcyon. I know a lot of people love their Buffalo Sweat milk stout as well.
    fmccormi, dt_gbpackersfan and Jips like this.
  20. Jips

Jips Member

I really dig Oasis ("Imperial" ESB) and Pub Ale too. If the new IPA coming out is anything like their experimental 'Area 51'... hoooo boy!
  21. shawnohall

shawnohall Member

Their Titan IPA is very good.
  22. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Member

My favorite beers from Great Divide are actually Belgian styles. The Hades BSPA is pretty solid, and the new one--Orabelle--is a seasonal-release Tripel. I also like their Belgian-style Yeti.
  23. kojevergas

kojevergas Member

24. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Member

Rumor has it hades is slated for removal. I love that beer, I'm gonna miss it.
  25. tylerf19

tylerf19 Member

I don't see too much love for clown shoes... They do some good beers and I dig their bottles haha
    dwagner003 likes this.
  26. 1up

1up Member

I really miss Samurai, can't find any sign of it anywhere now.
    dcs1548 and ufmj like this.
  27. dwagner003

dwagner003 Member

Agreed. Muffin Top was pretty damn good.
  28. alysmith4

alysmith4 Member

Sierra Nevada seems somewhat underrated. Consistently good, widely available.
    Providence and KevinK441 like this.
  29. SupremePie

SupremePie Member

Bobcat Cafe is an amazing brewery that always seems to get lost in the hype around the big 3 when the topic of Vermont breweries is broached.
  30. fmccormi

fmccormi Member

And, Epic Utah Sage Saison was tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiits. Love that beer.
  31. superspak

superspak Member

I have still not seen it in my beer stores and I'm kind of upset about it. Hope it makes it's way around these parts soon. Straight Up Saison was good, but it missed the mark by a bit.
  32. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Member

Boo. I have one bottle in my fridge right now. I hope it's not the last one I ever have.
  33. fmccormi

fmccormi Member

Ah, I haven't had Straight Up Saison, but thought about picking it up. Epic doesn't distribute to where I live, so I only see it when I visit family in North Carolina. Either way, Utah Sage was outstanding, I thought . . . I love certain botanicals, particularly aromatic ones like sage, lavender, lemon verbena, things like that. Consequently, Utah Sage and Stone's 16th Anniversary beer, for example, were both outstanding in my book.
  34. Treyliff

Treyliff Member

On this website? Boston Beer Company.

I feel like almost all of their beer ratings are about .2 points below what they should be because beer snobs love to hate their success.
    dan027 and DPMomutant like this.
  35. superspak

superspak Member

Completely agree there. Love herbed/spiced beer. I've tried almost every Gruit style available, plus take any of Dogfish Heads Ancient ales or other 750s. They use every herb and root in the book, and I find great enjoyment in those beers. Even if everyone else hates them lol. Sah'tea(tea, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and black pepper) and Positive Contact(cayenne and cilantro) were both completely fantastic IMO

I just discovered that Posca Rustica is brewed by Dupont, I better pick that up next time I see it. Had no idea.
    Paccamacca and fmccormi like this.
  36. WYVYRN527

WYVYRN527 Member

I have to say Olvalde. Joe Pond's brews are truly one of a kind!
  37. Mrtrp

Mrtrp Member

Sierra Nevada !!
    MikeAAL likes this.
  38. JayAre46

JayAre46 Member

My homer response will be Karbach, I will take Karbach over jester king any day of the week! Also boulevard I feel doesn't get enough love; put BBQ in a bruery 750 and we'll immediately have a "100"
  39. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Member

Brooklyn. They brew nearly every style and extremely well, if I may say.
  40. minnesotaryan

minnesotaryan Member

gonna go with new belgium.
    Mediczod likes this.