1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Most Underrated Brewery

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RussBecker1, Sep 19, 2012.

1. zid

zid Savant (430) New York Feb 15, 2010

Kulmbacher
    Fullers
    Harviestoun

2. Premo88

Premo88 Advocate (500) Texas Jun 6, 2010

Karbach ...

it's not been around long, so it's more of a very young than under-rated brewery. but there's something about Karbach that makes me think it's going to be a Texas sensation, passing Saint Arnold and others as our flagship craft brewery.

3. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

Metropolitan out of Chicago. They are doing some really solid German style lagers. Between Pipeworks, Half Acre and Revolution, I kind of feel that they get treated like the red headed stepchild of the Chicago brewery scene.

kal4478 and Frankinstiener like this.
  4. First two that came to mind are Weyerbacher and Heavy Seas. I may be a bit biased towards Heavy Seas being in Baltimore, but they make really solid beers and I think they have (of the breweries I have access to), the best barrel aging program in the US.

Streaky likes this.
  5. Philly82785

Philly82785 Savant (265) Minnesota Dec 17, 2008

Schell's

sacrelicio likes this.
  6. Pizza Boy.... Some good stuff going on there right now.

tectactoe likes this.
  7. Titans77

Titans77 Savant (270) Maryland Jul 21, 2011

Schlafly.

8. Smitty1988

Smitty1988 Savant (310) Arizona Oct 16, 2012

Probably Odell, If they pulled back production on Mycenary IPA, Hyped it up, only distrubited to colorado, only gave local bars one or two kegs per qaurter........it would be #1 on BA

9. Honestly, I have to go with Cambridge Brewing Co. I think they do some really interesting beers and every time I visit I always am surprised by something new and interesting on tap.

10. jmwildwest

jmwildwest Aficionado (215) Florida Mar 10, 2013

A friend turned me on to Mad River over the weekend. Definitely didn't disappoint.

sacrelicio likes this.
  11. Uinta

sacrelicio likes this.
  12. VladTepes

VladTepes Aficionado (180) Finland Oct 18, 2012

Haha I don't know are those so awful, but yeah, many do it better.

13. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Shorts.

14. Jamison85

Jamison85 Savant (320) Indiana Mar 23, 2013

Schlafly is great and underrated. I go to their taproom every time I am in STL. Great food and beer. Schlafly Bottleworks is also definitely worth stopping by but I recommend the taproom.

15. ufmj

ufmj Savant (395) Florida Feb 15, 2013

High Point (Ramstein) Brewing Co. is one of the most underrated breweries in New Jersey, the Mid-Atlantic seaboard, and these United States of America. Just saying.

16. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (620) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

Telegraph Brewing

17. Timceattle

Timceattle Initiate (0) Washington Nov 28, 2012

Do you have any idea where this place is...? Google maps doesnt know Quishnam.. haha. I'm in Seattle and want to make a trip!

18. Big_V

Big_V Savant (285) Maryland Nov 30, 2012

DC Brau, baby!

19. Here's my thing with Sam Adams: they brew an "every man's" beer great. But their higher prices "craft beers" are, in my opinion, shit.

20. MCDub

MCDub Savant (310) North Carolina Dec 17, 2009

Highland Brewing Company. Consistently put out well made products.. I think they don't get a lot of love because of their under 6% philosophy for packaged beers (yes they do occasionally bottle big beers but its a rarity). They also lack a true 'west coast IPA' that everyone loves.

CarolinaKevin and Holsie like this.
  21. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (325) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

I'm going to go with New Belgium. I know its popular to not like them but I love most of their offerings.

Mediczod likes this.
  22. I will say that I got a Crown Valley Brewing Gunslinger Double IPA in a beer club package last month and I thought to myself "why have I never hears about this before." I love Stones Ruination and I thought gunslinger was better.

23. I beleive Six Point Brewery is very underated. They make some fantastic brews such as Righteous Rye and Bengali Tiger. I never hear much talk about them as I do others

24. Three Heads Brewing, out of Rochester. Haven't had a bad beer from them yet, I never hear them talked about.

3HeadsBrewing likes this.
  25. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

Summit.
    EPA is still a classic. Their Oatmeal stout is one of the best. Then there are there more recent changes (took 'em a while). Horizon Red is tasty when fresh and Saga is top notch IMO. The Unchained series has exceeded my expectations, and another series (union, soon to start) is exciting the hell out of me.

26. Caldera's pretty good, Good IPA, Great DIPA, good Imperial stout..And one of the BEST beers i've ever had Mogli Imperial BA porter with chocolate

27. alex_hart

alex_hart Advocate (595) Oklahoma Feb 28, 2013

The smokestack series is one of my favorite lines of beers I have had to date. Havn't had even one that I havnt liked (and I've had 10 out of the 15, the other five of which I cant find being: Chocolate Ale, Harvest Dance Wheat Wine, Bourbon Barrel Quad, Imperial Stout, and Love Child No. 2)

28. MikeAAL

MikeAAL Zealot (95) Wisconsin Feb 8, 2013

New Glarus Brewing Company / New Glarus, Wisconsin

29. dagmer

dagmer Aficionado (115) Illinois Feb 27, 2012

I don't know if these are underrated or not but..
    Pinkus
    Sixpoint
    Great Lakes

30. MikeAAL

MikeAAL Zealot (95) Wisconsin Feb 8, 2013

I agree, their beer is excellent.

alysmith4 likes this.
  31. Southern Tier.

So many solid offerings. Harvest is an absolute gem.

32. JReites

JReites Savant (405) Florida Dec 29, 2010

7venth sun in Dunedin, FL

33. baconman91

baconman91 Savant (495) Ohio Dec 13, 2009

The Brew Kettle - Clev. Ohio

34. Jack's Abby

HawkIPA likes this.
  35. BKBassist

BKBassist Savant (470) New York Jan 24, 2013

Singlecut in Queens NYC. Doing some very solid takes on common styles, saw their upcoming releases and it's gonna get wild.

36. VladTepes

VladTepes Aficionado (180) Finland Oct 18, 2012

IMO many mentioned are actually totally overrated, as Southern Tier just above.

I am agree, that Victory is very good brewery, don't actually know how hyped it is in States.

37. I'll go with Unibroue. They make some world class stuff but, at least in my area, even people who are really in to beer in general and Belgian style beers in particular either overlook them or aren't aware of them.

mtmonroe9 likes this.
  38. Schells

darky and BottleCaps80 like this.
  39. Revolution
    and Smuttynose

MarshMan71 and moju like this.