1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Most Underrated Brewery

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RussBecker1, Sep 19, 2012.

1. zid

zid Member

Kulmbacher
    Fullers
    Harviestoun
  2. Premo88

Premo88 Member

Karbach ...

it's not been around long, so it's more of a very young than under-rated brewery. but there's something about Karbach that makes me think it's going to be a Texas sensation, passing Saint Arnold and others as our flagship craft brewery.
  3. mecummins

mecummins Member

Metropolitan out of Chicago. They are doing some really solid German style lagers. Between Pipeworks, Half Acre and Revolution, I kind of feel that they get treated like the red headed stepchild of the Chicago brewery scene.
    kal4478 and Frankinstiener like this.
  4. GodlessWatermelon

GodlessWatermelon Member

First two that came to mind are Weyerbacher and Heavy Seas. I may be a bit biased towards Heavy Seas being in Baltimore, but they make really solid beers and I think they have (of the breweries I have access to), the best barrel aging program in the US.
    Streaky likes this.
  5. Philly82785

Philly82785 Member

Schell's
    sacrelicio likes this.
  6. robieobie1

robieobie1 Member

Pizza Boy.... Some good stuff going on there right now.
    tectactoe likes this.
  7. Titans77

Titans77 Member

8. Smitty1988

Smitty1988 Member

Probably Odell, If they pulled back production on Mycenary IPA, Hyped it up, only distrubited to colorado, only gave local bars one or two kegs per qaurter........it would be #1 on BA
  9. ShipFaced17

ShipFaced17 Member

Honestly, I have to go with Cambridge Brewing Co. I think they do some really interesting beers and every time I visit I always am surprised by something new and interesting on tap.
  10. jmwildwest

jmwildwest Member

A friend turned me on to Mad River over the weekend. Definitely didn't disappoint.
    sacrelicio likes this.
  11. DarthGuitarHero

DarthGuitarHero Member

12. VladTepes

VladTepes Member

Haha I don't know are those so awful, but yeah, many do it better.
  13. tectactoe

tectactoe Member

14. Jamison85

Jamison85 Member

Schlafly is great and underrated. I go to their taproom every time I am in STL. Great food and beer. Schlafly Bottleworks is also definitely worth stopping by but I recommend the taproom.
  15. ufmj

ufmj Member

High Point (Ramstein) Brewing Co. is one of the most underrated breweries in New Jersey, the Mid-Atlantic seaboard, and these United States of America. Just saying.
  16. Brew33

Brew33 Member

Telegraph Brewing
  17. Timceattle

Timceattle Member

Do you have any idea where this place is...? Google maps doesnt know Quishnam.. haha. I'm in Seattle and want to make a trip!
  18. Big_V

Big_V Member

DC Brau, baby!
  19. Svendozen

Svendozen Member

Here's my thing with Sam Adams: they brew an "every man's" beer great. But their higher prices "craft beers" are, in my opinion, shit.
  20. MCDub

MCDub Member

Highland Brewing Company. Consistently put out well made products.. I think they don't get a lot of love because of their under 6% philosophy for packaged beers (yes they do occasionally bottle big beers but its a rarity). They also lack a true 'west coast IPA' that everyone loves.
    CarolinaKevin and Holsie like this.
  21. DHS1029

DHS1029 Member

I'm going to go with New Belgium. I know its popular to not like them but I love most of their offerings.
    Mediczod likes this.
  22. Svendozen

Svendozen Member

I will say that I got a Crown Valley Brewing Gunslinger Double IPA in a beer club package last month and I thought to myself "why have I never hears about this before." I love Stones Ruination and I thought gunslinger was better.
  23. beerfinder

beerfinder Member

I beleive Six Point Brewery is very underated. They make some fantastic brews such as Righteous Rye and Bengali Tiger. I never hear much talk about them as I do others
  24. GreesyFizeek

GreesyFizeek Member

Three Heads Brewing, out of Rochester. Haven't had a bad beer from them yet, I never hear them talked about.
    3HeadsBrewing likes this.
  25. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Member

Summit.
    EPA is still a classic. Their Oatmeal stout is one of the best. Then there are there more recent changes (took 'em a while). Horizon Red is tasty when fresh and Saga is top notch IMO. The Unchained series has exceeded my expectations, and another series (union, soon to start) is exciting the hell out of me.
  26. MetalMountainMastiff

MetalMountainMastiff Member

Caldera's pretty good, Good IPA, Great DIPA, good Imperial stout..And one of the BEST beers i've ever had Mogli Imperial BA porter with chocolate
  27. alex_hart

alex_hart Member

The smokestack series is one of my favorite lines of beers I have had to date. Havn't had even one that I havnt liked (and I've had 10 out of the 15, the other five of which I cant find being: Chocolate Ale, Harvest Dance Wheat Wine, Bourbon Barrel Quad, Imperial Stout, and Love Child No. 2)
  28. MikeAAL

MikeAAL Member

New Glarus Brewing Company / New Glarus, Wisconsin
  29. dagmer

dagmer Member

I don't know if these are underrated or not but..
    Pinkus
    Sixpoint
    Great Lakes
  30. MikeAAL

MikeAAL Member

I agree, their beer is excellent.
    alysmith4 likes this.
  31. CassinoNorth

CassinoNorth Member

Southern Tier.

So many solid offerings. Harvest is an absolute gem.
  32. victory4me

victory4me Member

33. JReites

JReites Member

7venth sun in Dunedin, FL
  34. baconman91

baconman91 Member

The Brew Kettle - Clev. Ohio
  35. Fubar1453

Fubar1453 Member

Jack's Abby
    HawkIPA likes this.
  36. BKBassist

BKBassist Member

Singlecut in Queens NYC. Doing some very solid takes on common styles, saw their upcoming releases and it's gonna get wild.
  37. VladTepes

VladTepes Member

IMO many mentioned are actually totally overrated, as Southern Tier just above.

I am agree, that Victory is very good brewery, don't actually know how hyped it is in States.
  38. Mediczod

Mediczod Member

I'll go with Unibroue. They make some world class stuff but, at least in my area, even people who are really in to beer in general and Belgian style beers in particular either overlook them or aren't aware of them.
    mtmonroe9 likes this.
  39. TheSaboteur

TheSaboteur Member

Schells
    darky and BottleCaps80 like this.
  40. BrownAleMale

BrownAleMale Member

Revolution
    and Smuttynose
    MarshMan71 and moju like this.