1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Most Versatile Beer Glass

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Azzy, Jan 9, 2013.

1. My dollar trees only carry the chalice ones, no sniffers :(
    JustXBeer, TWStandley and Hanzo like this.
  2. the correct answer is Glass Boot, 1L or bigger.
    TWStandley likes this.
  3. emsjf

emsjf Initiate (0) Virginia Jan 3, 2012

Thrift stores often have ridiculously nice glasses for .99 - I got a set of crystal pilsner glasses for $4 that they thought were plastic. : )

That being said, I never use them. Snifter all the way.
  4. GR_Rick

GR_Rick Aficionado (200) Michigan Jul 14, 2012

As I was reading through this thread, I was actually fabricating this almost exact response in my head. I personally prefer the nonic pint over a shaker pint, and am 100% satisfied if I get a "standard" IPA, kolsch, wit, or lager in one at any (even a 'Craft beer") bar or restaurant. As the quoted post above said, it sounds like storage space and durability will be issues in a "high volume" restaurant, and a tulip really doesn't fit the bill here.

Also, I'd see if you can find a 14 oz glass. Maybe it's just me, but it always bugs me if I get served a 12 oz beer with a 16 oz glass. Try as I might, I almost never get the beer + head to fill it to the rim (which in my mind makes for a perfect pour, adding to my drinking experience) :)

.. and to be honest, looking at this simply from a business perspective (and I know from experience that restaurant margins are often very small) I'm not sure you even need to invest the $$ in new glasses right now. I might just "un-frost" your mugs (I wouldn't want to serve a craft beer in a frosted mug) and provide them with the beer. For me, if I'm drinking a "standard" style of beer (porter, regular IPA, wheat ale, lager, etc.) at home, I pull out my nice, trusty glass mug (which I love) and enjoy my beer. If the craft thing takes off in your restaurant, maybe then you think about getting some different glass styles a you expand your selection.

Just my $0.02. Cheers!
    searsclone likes this.
  5. Tullip, Duvel in nature.
    Pint glass? As dynamic as a K car.
  6. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

As much as I, and most people on here dislike the shaker pint, I feel like it's your best option. You aren't serving extreme beer and I think customers at an inexpensive Mexican restaurant would be expecting a shaker pint (and certainly wouldn't be offended by it). Also, they're dirt cheap.

Now for home drinking, the most versatile glass I have is the willi glass. I pretty much use it for everything that isn't a stout or belgian
    sirtomtom likes this.
  7. From a former restaurant slave and taking into account the type of restaurant it appears you are currently in - These are your guidelines but not necessarily in this order:
    1. Whatever is the cheapest to buy
    2. Whatever is the most durable
    3. Whatever is the same size or preferably smaller than what you are currently using for BMC
    4. Whatever fits in the available space at your bar or service area

If the craft beer sells well, then go for better glassware.
  8. [​IMG]
    I'm not saying go this far...
    [​IMG]
    Like this...out to eat at an amazing local, casual sandwich place enjoying my brew out of a proper glass and yes it fits a whole bottled 12oz. or is perfect for draft pours. I think its the right glass for the most amount of styles.
  9. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (750) New York Oct 24, 2010

I think the Luettich Balloon style is maybe the most versatile glass. Also, the Duvel Single tulip is the perfect size and shape and form, but I imagine it'd be pretty expensive to stock a bar with those.
  10. Solo Cup FTW. You can use it for beer pong, flip cup, etc. also the little ridges on the side really allow for the aroma of any beer to be released
  11. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

Keep it simple. At my bar we use shaker pints, 12oz basic tulips and 8oz snifters.
  12. acelin

acelin Savant (300) Kansas Feb 14, 2009

I always thought the 12 ounce versions made my beer only taste worse.
  13. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (470) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

I'm still trying to figure out how I would fit that burger in my mouth. Did you eat it with a knife and fork? :)

I would go pint glasses if storage was an issue, otherwise some sort of specialty glass might be nice just to differenciate it from "non-craft" beer offerings, though if you are serving the BMC in frosted mugs I guess that is already accomplished with pints even.
  14. I am partial to a Pilsner class
  15. Drew26

Drew26 Savant (295) Wisconsin Nov 2, 2012

An empty one is most versatile :p

But, I'd vote for a pint glass, just because that is what the avg. patron would probably be used to/expecting. Tulips are better imo, but safer bet for a restaurant is a pint.
  16. No fork and knife! You just gotta go for it! That place is amazing...it's called Sandwhich, if anyone is ever in Chapel Hill, NC.
  17. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

Houston is not in Europe. Marquis is being his typical, elitist self.

Mexican restaurant, so I wouldn't go beyond a nonic pint.
    Hanzo likes this.
  18. Jips

Jips Savant (355) Kansas Nov 29, 2007

Canning jars! Dirt cheap, come in 16oz like pints, durable! Like a proper tulip the opening is narrow. It'll more fully trap your nose as you sip thus trapping more aromas.
    lemongelo likes this.
  19. MarkJBurch

MarkJBurch Savant (485) New York Jun 24, 2012

I vote Nonic and Snifter.
  20. elgiacomo

elgiacomo Savant (460) Georgia Jun 28, 2007

Personally, I find the Allagash Large Chalice to be my most versatile beer glass (particularly awesome for IPAs): http://www.gagear.com/allagash-brewing/product.php?pid=10

Or, if stemmed would be a bit too much for the styles served, perhaps a Willi Becher style glass would be a nice alternative to the standard shaker pint or nonic. They're pretty cheap if purchased in bulk as well.
  21. I agree. I would rather have a pickle jar than a pint glass.
  22. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

Based on what you said about your restaurant, I would use a cervoise glass, which I refer to as the "European Pint Glass".

Easy to wash, strong, and unique looking compared to the US pint glass (also better for the beer with a somewhat enclosed top/slight curvature to the glass.
  23. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

they may call it a chalice, but it is a cervoise glass...agree with you as I posted the same thing.
  24. The OP was "most versatile beer glass"
    A glass which doesn't hold a pint isn't as versatile as one which does.A pint glass can also be used for smaller quantities.A litre glass is perhaps more versatile still but there are convenience issues with this size.But an ordinary straight pint glass can be used for most beer purposes.It's versatile though not decorative.
  25. jb123

jb123 Savant (460) Michigan Dec 3, 2012

snifters or tulip.
  26. njhopspop

njhopspop Savant (335) New Jersey Oct 17, 2010

Specialty glassware is obviously going to be more expensive. If you are going to go that route, plan to incorporate the extra cost into the price of the beer you're serving in it. Plus if you're using cooler glasses, prepare for a lot of them to walk out the door. Unfortunately, we are not all honest. That's just 20+ years in the biz talking.

That being said, IMO the nonic is probably the best compromise. I'm guessing that if you're trying to introduce craft beer to a place that carries little if any, you will not initially have the customer base that will care or appreciate the appropriate glass for any given beer. So to your avg bmc drinker, a great craft beer served in a tulip would probably be wasted. If however over time you are able to build a loyal craft customer base, the tulip/teku/what-have-you specialty glasses might be worth another look.