1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Mother Earth Brewing : Window Panes series

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by pimpinmidget, Apr 9, 2012.

1. pimpinmidget

pimpinmidget Member

http://www.beerpulse.com/2012/04/mo...arrel-aged-blackberry-double-wit-coming-soon/

Man, I hope I can get my hands on some of these bottles.
    Lantern likes this.
  2. Rymar9

Rymar9 Member

This is great news. can't wait to try these..especially the fig and peach ones. Hopefully they will have a nice tartness/sourness to them
    Lantern likes this.
  3. OSUBeerStudent

OSUBeerStudent Member

Guess I'll probably try the first one. Can't wait to see what this one costs :rolleyes:
  4. Beerness

Beerness Member

I kno
    I know, there barrel-aged prices can be SCARY. Considering it's only being aged "up to 3 months", you'd think they could easily match market prices in NC, which very rarely go above 15-16.
  5. ewright

ewright Member

Or, y'know, $6.99 for a PvW20 aged beer.

Just sayin'.
  6. OSUBeerStudent

OSUBeerStudent Member

BASC - 96, $15 last year
    Event Horizon - 96, under $15 last year
    Lindley Park - 94, under $15 last year
    BBA People's Porter - 87, $7
    Silent Night - 88, about $20
    Tripel Overhead - 84, about $16

Which of these things stand out, to say nothing of the relative cost of the barrels themselves (PvW for BASC and the People's Porter, for example)? Even their non-barrel beers are expensive, much more expensive than they're worth for me.
  7. ncaudle

ncaudle Member

I paid $18 for Event Horizon and $16 for Silent Night...
  8. Beerness

Beerness Member

If you did, that was not the norm for the majority of beer stores in NC. OSUbeerstudent's prices are along the same lines of what I saw at nearly every store I knew of selling those beers.
  9. GehenHerzog

GehenHerzog Member

HUH?

I never paid more than $15 for Event Horizon and have yet to find Silent Night for less than $19
  10. marine1975

marine1975 Member

What he said!
  11. ewright

ewright Member

I paid $17 for Event Horizon at one store. If I had seen the price tag, I may have passed. That store was $2-3 more than the others. I didn't bother with Silent Night this year. Too many other better beers (quality and price point) came out at the same time.
  12. ncaudle

ncaudle Member

what can I say, I have this weird knack for bucking trends...

Silent Night 2010 purchased at brewery, 2011 purchased at Sams Quick (may have been $16.99...)
    Event Horizon 2011 was purchased at App Vintners outside of Asheville
  13. JdoubleA

JdoubleA Member

3 months? From how the barrel aging process has been described to me, that doesn't seem long enough.

Basically I've been told that you want to start in the winter so once it warms up in the summer, pressure builds and the wood expands as well allowing the beer to "soak" into the barrels, then once winter comes, the pressure lessons and the wood contracts which imparts the barrel aged flavors we all know and love.

I'm no brewer, barrel-er, bottler, cooper, or distiller... and while I'm sure you can get some barrel aged flavor even after a week, I'm only saying that I've heard it is better to let it run through a full cycle of temperature ranges.

That sounds reasonable to me, but if I'm wrong, I'm fine with that.
  14. Onenote81

Onenote81 Member

Sign. Me. Up. I'll pay $20...
  15. n2185

n2185 Member

These look really interesting and I'm looking forward to trying them. Yes, the ME 750s aren't dirt cheap, but they're not ridiculous, either. Keep in mind that ORF was $20, Green Man just bottled a non-barrel aged stout and are charging $20 for it, and that ME's beers are in 750s and not bombers. Also keep in mind that they're trying to use local ingredients as well, which aren't always as cheap. And for the record, I got Silent Night for $16, which was $1 more than Event Horizon but with 3 more ounces.

Regarding the time spent in barrels, 3 months seems about average from those breweries that admit how long they age a beer. Beers like KBS that get a full year are pretty rare, and when GI-InBev aged one for 2 years they charged $40+ per bottle. Brooklyn, a (relatively) huge brewery only ages Black Ops for a couple of months and charges ~$24 per bottle. While time certainly helps, I think the quality of the beer that goes into the barrel is far more important. You can't throw a shitty beer in a barrel and expect it to come out golden. Hell, the Oaked Yetis are aged on oak chips and are far better than most barrel aged stouts out there.

tl;dr: don't diss the beer until you try it.