1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Mother of all Storms 2012

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by AndresR, Sep 26, 2012.

1. RDMII

RDMII Savant (315) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

Just got my call, and I emailed really late, like last week. About to call back but I'm trying to find the funds, had an unexpected car repair this weekend. Dammit.
  2. Got my call a little after 4 PM today. E-mailed on November 8. Ken was super friendly and said he only had about 5 more calls to make.
  3. Got my call earlier today with a confirmation email the 6th of October. Speaking to Ken it seems due to the demand among other things they made a nice amount this year and it came out really good; he said it was tasting great fresh and with a case of it, i'll be the the happy judge of that. I wouldn't hesitate to call them tomorrow inquiring about any remaining stock. I believe they even stated on their website after the initial days of phone calls you can call in to check inventory. Great customer service by the way.
    duceswild likes this.
  4. Flabbyjandro

Flabbyjandro Savant (450) Illinois Jun 12, 2012

Got my call had to pass. $284 was too much for 12 bombers, was hoping to just get 4, but case minimum
  5. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Ken is insanely nice. I can only take so many beer idiots in a day. Initiating conversation with hundreds of them in a day and still being so upbeat is a testament to how awesome he is. Let's not forget the insanity of last year's release with the crashed website and hundreds of phone calls to Pelican. He handled it in great stride.
    duceswild, libbey and siege06nd like this.
  6. gdodd12

gdodd12 Aficionado (190) Georgia Oct 1, 2009

Yep. Ken actually left two messages for me. Thought that was nice of him to call me twice considering how busy he was. I ended up calling him and it went nice and smooth.
  7. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

You might try asking any Chicago based BAs if they bought more than they want. I know a bunch of people don't really want the whole case and wouldn't mind selling you four of them for their cost to save some money. I've done this with the Caftw and Michael release.
  8. Flabbyjandro

Flabbyjandro Savant (450) Illinois Jun 12, 2012

Anyone Chicago got 1 or more they want to unload let me know, got trade bait or moolah
  9. I'm also in Chicago looking for just 1 of these. Could trade some ZD, BCBS, or some Furious for it or buy it.
  10. Steasy66

Steasy66 Savant (335) Minnesota Feb 23, 2012

Much respect to Ken and the whole Pelican crew. I wish the people at my local brewpub, where I've spent thousands of dollars over the years, were as friendly on the phone as the people at Pelican, where I never spent a dime until today.
  11. just curious...what is the shelf cost of Moas??? or does any make it to the shelves??
  12. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (540) Washington Dec 13, 2011

While I agree that Ken was super awesome on the phone, I can't say the same about the "whole Pelican crew". I visited the brew-pub earlier this year and their service was very sub-par (and their food was pretty awful compared to other breweries in Oregon, such as HotD and Cascade). Beautiful location though - right on the beach.
  13. bonghitta

bonghitta Zealot (90) Washington Feb 24, 2012

I went to the release, and there menu is (almost) all food made with beer. Honestly, if that isn't awesome I don't know what is.

I had the beer pancakes the next morning, and they were a bit yeasty. But they were beer pancakes! lol...
  14. If any Chicago based BA's need to recoup some of the cost of their case let me know. I would be interested in trading or buying anywhere between 1-6 bottles.
  15. Happy to get a case as well...of course gota pick it up in the US but that's ok :)
  16. matttttYCE

matttttYCE Savant (295) Arizona Jul 15, 2010

I emailed way late (Nov 17th) but I just got a call from Ken at 10:15am or so saying that there were some people that backed out so cases were still available. Ken was great to deal with once again.

$275 shipped for 12 early Christmas gifts for myself? Yeah, I think so.

Now Pelican, my only gripe is why aren't those damn snifters for sale? C'mon!
  17. A ton of people must of backed out. I sent my email like three days ago and got a call today. Ken's voice sounds really horse like he's been on the phone for a few days straight. World class customer service.
  18. Anyone know a bottle count for this year?

What a cash cow for such a small operation! I'm not complaining - it's great that a small place can create a great beer, build excitement for it, and sell it to people nationwide. I bet a lot of breweries would like to be able to sell $200+ cases of beer for 3 days straight.
  19. Timceattle

Timceattle Initiate (0) Washington Nov 28, 2012

I have a case scheduled to hit my doorstep in Seattle on Wednesday Dec 5th.. Anyone in Seattle want to split it with me?? I don't need a case and I sure don't need to spend $272 on a case!!
  20. cwm5429

cwm5429 Zealot (85) Indiana Feb 20, 2011

I unfortunately had to back out from my purchase, couldn't swig the money right now. If anybody in the Indy area or surrounding states have any extra they want to split, let me know.
  21. BigE90

BigE90 Aficionado (235) Washington Mar 19, 2011

Funny! Only because I was at the release, got 2, and will probably consume 18 of them myself with the other 6 being sent to my regular trading partners!
  22. RDMII

RDMII Savant (315) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

I did end up backing out, just don't have the funds right now. But anyone who wants to trade with me for a few, please hit me up. I'm in GA, the other side of the Earth, but would love a bottle or two.
  23. CNR76

CNR76 Aficionado (120) California Apr 18, 2012

I asked when I ordered my case and was told about 550 cases.
  24. Stigs

Stigs Advocate (595) Pennsylvania Jun 3, 2005

per their facebook:

We have a handful of cases of Mother of All Storms still available. Call Ken at the Pelican asap if you're interested: 503.965.7007. FYI, we can't ship beer to the following states: Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah
  25. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Savant (330) Washington Sep 11, 2011

Split, no. But I wouldn't mind 1-2. ;)
  26. fritts211

fritts211 Savant (285) Tennessee Feb 19, 2011

I'll throw my hat into the Chicago ring as well. Happy to buy a couple off someone, or do a trade if we can work out proper terms. PM if you need to unload one or two.
  27. I'll have mine in about two weeks (12/14). I am in south jersey/Philly if anyone wants some. Had it shipped to a buddy in VA that will be in the area then. Let me know!
  28. if anyone in the Charlotte, NC area procured a case and wants to part with some of them I would be interested.
  29. ChadQuest

ChadQuest Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 4, 2009

You know who i am, you know what i want, you know i love you.

Hit me up regardless of where you live, we can at least talk and see where our relationship leads us.
    jp7161 likes this.
  30. Anybody get their tracking numbers yet? I thought Ken said it was going on Friday, but maybe I misheard.
  31. Nothing yet for me. He told me the cases were shipping out Monday (today) and that we'd get the tracking numbers today too.
  32. I was told Monday also.
  33. I was told Monday for tracking numbers, but still don't have it. If they are shipping out 500 cases I would expect the numbers to trickle out over the next day or so.
  34. 3rdto1st

3rdto1st Savant (260) California Dec 1, 2011

I was told monday, but am not worried about the tracking number, because right now, it is not the end of the day over here people! I'm sure they are working, I'm sure they will get the numbers to you, but please people, try to remember that we on the west coast are 3 hours behind you. And beer people rarely start the day at 8 like the rest of us lol.
  35. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (765) California Jan 31, 2005

At the brewery. $20. I found it at a Market of Choice in Corvalis, OR during the summer for $24.99.
  36. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (445) New York Jun 7, 2005

Just received my tracking about a minute ago.
  37. Me too. Apparently I have 31 pounds of delicious BA Barleywine arriving in Chicago on Wednesday!

Bwahahaha!!! :)
    dsal89 likes this.
  38. vic21234

vic21234 Savant (255) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

Got my tracking number just now!
  39. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

Got mine as well! Hell yes!
  40. ChadQuest

ChadQuest Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 4, 2009

I got a case.

boner.

I asked if i could swap 2 bottles for Stormwatcher winterfest to do a side x side, but no substitutions are possible. I still haven't tried the base beer. Gotta tick em all(BWs).

Love,
    Chad
    luwak, libbey and ASUBeer like this.