1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Mother of all Storms price?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by heatwaves, Jan 9, 2013.

1. heatwaves

heatwaves Savant (285) California Oct 17, 2009

I came across four of these at a bottle shop in Southern California today. There were priced at $37 which seemed quite pricey. Is this the "normal" price or is the bottle shop inflating the price because they're not readily in the area?

2. Czar_chasm

Czar_chasm Savant (355) Michigan Jun 20, 2012

I was told bottles by the case were ~$23 / each after shipping during hte release this year.

3. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

Right around $23 shipped to my door.

4. w_klon

w_klon Aficionado (225) Oregon Aug 1, 2012

$20 at the brewery at release. $23.99 on the shelf in PDX

EDIT: didnt mean to reply on your post :)

5. TomAnderson

TomAnderson Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2013

$20-26 depending on where they were shipped to.

6. heatwaves

heatwaves Savant (285) California Oct 17, 2009

Thanks guys. Glad I didn't purchase one at the $37 price!

7. ChadQuest

ChadQuest Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 4, 2009

Honestly, most people that trade for it pay about that much without realizing. When you figure tons of people probably traded a $22 bottle like BCBCS, then $12 shipping to OR, and you are at $34 without any extras or anything.

not saying that bottle wasn't overpriced, just saying you wouldn't be abnormal in overall expenditures. Trading is $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Levitation, crushedvol and Czar_chasm like this.
  8. Yep. $23 and change shipped

Edit: very worth $23. Great beer but $37 is steep. I've never had a beer that is worth that much to me but in hind sight I would have spent $45 on rare 2 years ago

9. A better question is, how is this on the shelf at all? Wasn't this a brewery exclusive with full case shipping to consumers?

Can bottle shops order cases and then just put them out for whatever price they feel like? Does that fly?

libbey likes this.
  10. I think I read if there was leftovers it would get slight distro

cavedave likes this.
  11. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

My assumption is, much like College town bookstores selling whippits throughout the 80's and 90's, some folks just don't cotton to rulez.

Or maybe normal people have charging whip cream canisters.

eyeenjoybeer likes this.
  12. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (690) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

You are correct. Pelican self-distributes, so they took some of the leftovers to bottleshops in Portland (and elsewhere?)

13. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

And Seattle. I don't think they sent them elsewhere except maybe somewhere in Oregon. If anyone else has it they probably paid north of $23 for each hence the high price. Not saying it is justified but that explains most of the mark up.

14. I bought two of these at 35.99 a bottle at Holiday Wine Cellar. Hope I don't regret it

15. It's a great beer.