1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Mr. G's in Plano

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by ballmouse, Apr 6, 2012.

1. ballmouse

ballmouse Aficionado (100) New York Mar 23, 2010

I just got an email that seemed to imply Mr. G's is closing. I say imply, because it never really says that they are closing shop. Can anyone confirm this?

If so, I will say the store was really cool and had the best stock of imports in the DFW area (in my opinion of course).
  2. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Savant (360) Texas Dec 28, 2011

I think specs bought them out. There's a thread about it on ratebeer
  3. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

done. they are specs now...
  4. briman

briman Savant (315) Texas Aug 25, 2005

Yes, this has been in the works for about a month. Speculation is Spec's will try to give G's a nod in the new naming somehow, but I'm not sure how much of that to believe.
  5. Mora2000

Mora2000 Advocate (610) Texas Oct 12, 2007

As of yesterday (April 5) they are still apparently using the Mr. G's computer system, so the Mr. G's discount card still works (the guy at the register also said it would be a while until the Specs system is put in place, even though Specs already owns them).

One bad thing is that according to one of the guys working the front register, the entire deli staff quit on the same day (right as they were being sold) so the deli is now only open from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. He said they are keeping the deli even after the transition is complete and hope to eventually get it back to its normal hours of 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Considering the deli is the best thing about the store, it was good news that they are keeping it.
    mattisloco likes this.
  6. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

+1 on keeping the Deli being good news. I love that "Boston Philly"
  7. My favorite beer store stop on Big D visits. Hope it doesn't change too much.