Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine and get 12 issues / year of fresh beer content delivered to your door each month.

Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

MSN: 10 Breweries on the Bubble

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by JdoubleA, May 31, 2012.

1. JdoubleA

JdoubleA Savant (420) North Carolina Apr 27, 2011 Verified

http://local.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=33395122
    Basically picks a handful of small brewers that are knocking it out. Of the ones I know, they are pretty dead on.

Domeshot14 likes this.
  2. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (870) California Nov 16, 2009 Verified

Ive had quite on few on that list. They picked up some nice ones.

Cheers!

3. ewright

ewright Savant (450) North Carolina Oct 25, 2007

That's a solid list of breweries right there.

4. Glad to see Pretty Things on the list. ♥ I'll have to keep an eye out for the other nine.

5. Plenum

Plenum Aficionado (225) New Jersey Apr 29, 2009

I just logged in to post that article...great piece on some excellent brewers. Really glad to see MBC on the list. Peeper and Lunch are just fantastic.

HomeBrewed and Duhast500 like this.
  6. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poobah (1,440) California Mar 18, 2010 Verified

I bet you have...

afrokaze and genuinedisciple like this.
  7. Swim424

Swim424 Savant (320) Florida Apr 29, 2011

sad to say the only ones Ive had are the cigar city ones.

8. ShanePB

ShanePB Champion (990) Pennsylvania Sep 6, 2010 Verified

Never had anything from Barrier or Revolution, but all the others are qualities picks. Delicious beer.

9. Great list. I've had a few of those, and the others have been on my radar for a while now.

10. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (350) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

Barrier is the only one I haven't tried, but it doesn't look like they're in distribution mode yet, so someday.

11. JoEBoBpr

JoEBoBpr Champion (770) Missouri Feb 26, 2004

Nice article and a pretty good list of established craft breweries and "up-and-commers".

12. Gosox8787

Gosox8787 Savant (465) New Hampshire Jan 24, 2009 Verified

Interesting to see someone like Hill Farmstead on the list as it's looks like the intent is "up and comers" and I don't see them expanding much.

The list is really good though, especially for a major news outlet. Every single brewery on the list I've tried, I've really liked. Usually I except the worst and hope for the best with these type of articles, but this one was well written and informative.

13. i heard of all those breweries except barrier brewing. the odd thing is thatvtheyre basedbin oceanside and that is right next to me.

14. dublthink

dublthink Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2012

if you are ever in Chicago I highly recommend you go to Revolution Brewing... Great beer and and really nice brew pub... Walked in and they had just opened the upper floor for the evening. Try the bacon popcorn too... Nothing at all bad to say about them!!!!

15. ChefBergo

ChefBergo Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 9, 2011

Nice to see Revolution on the list. They make some quality brews and the barrel aged stuff is some of the best beer I've ever had.

16. nanobrew

nanobrew Advocate (645) California Dec 31, 2008

overall nice right up and good list. Very well balanced as far as location. The only one that looks like writer's bias is Barrier (which is the only one I have not heard of or tried a beer from) and looking at reviews few have tried them. But that is fine to give a shout out to a local favorite, it only becomes an issue when the majority are like that.

17. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Advocate (570) Colorado Dec 9, 2011 Verified

I'd be willing to bet that they had a difficult time paring the list down to 10 when there have been so many new breweries and brewpubs opening daily, or so it seems.

18. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Advocate (570) Colorado Dec 9, 2011 Verified

I'd be willing to bet that they had a difficult time paring the list down to 10 when there have been so many new breweries and brewpubs opening daily, or so it seems.

19. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (395) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

"citrus twinged ipa", "hop heavy ipas" "spicy ipas" "sweet ipas" "keenly crafted ipas"....ugh, so many other styles out there to brew and talk about :(

20. Avalon68

Avalon68 Savant (275) Pennsylvania Jul 1, 2008 Verified

I'm just not getting the Barrier pick. Seems a bit early for them to be on any list. Besides that, this is really very good.

21. VonZipper

VonZipper Advocate (525) New York Feb 9, 2011 Verified

Barrier has been building up a good reputation in the NYC and LI area. They put out some really good stuff. Hopefully, they are on their way to doing some big things, especially after moving to a new location and upgrading their capacity. I live a few minutes from Barrier and definitely think they are the best on LI.

22. dpjosuns

dpjosuns Savant (280) Illinois Dec 8, 2009

That's a really solid list. I've only had beers from Revolution (one of my favorite places here in Chicago), Cigar City, and The Bruery. Not to mention I've been meaning to get my hands on Nebraska and Upright.

I was surprised to see all three of them on the list. Way to go MSN.

VonZipper likes this.
  23. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Initiate (0) Texas Dec 4, 2011

Anything that gives JK a little bit of a trade value bump I am stoaked

24. Barrier is no joke, and given that they brew on a one barrel system, their beers are easy enough to find on tap in the five boroughs.

VonZipper likes this.
  25. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

Cool list. Westbrook and Funky Buddha would have been strong choices, too.

26. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (395) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

1bbl? for realz

27. yup, they top out around 400 barrels a year according to their web site. I met Evan about a year ago at one of their tasting events, very cool guy and obviously passionate about brewing. Highly recommend Barrier to any and all that make it to nyc.

28. A bunch of nice brewers getting a little more press, always a good thing. I've had offerings from all other than Revolution and I gotta say not a bad choice of the bunch.

29. jtmartino

jtmartino Advocate (515) California Dec 11, 2010 Verified

Sounds like an investor opportunity, especially with publicity like that from the article. They could have 10x the system for not a whole lot of money. :)

30. Nice article, thanks for the link. I've only had some from 3 of those, but they have all been standout!

31. astroevan

astroevan Aficionado (120) Colorado Apr 9, 2008 Subscriber

The Beer Advocate team thought highly enough of Barrier to put an article about them in the June 2011 issue.

The MSN article covers some good breweries. Knowing what I know about the ones that I have tried, I guess I need to put the others on my radar.

32. Stankonia

Stankonia Aficionado (205) Idaho Dec 17, 2010

It's rare that a major mainstream news outlet writes an article about the craft beer culture that doesn't suck.

33. bpd2001

bpd2001 Aficionado (105) New York Jun 14, 2012

I live close to Barrier, too, and tried to stop by this afternoon. Had trouble finding it and ended up getting there after they closed. But excited to try it -- will go back again.

34. VonZipper

VonZipper Advocate (525) New York Feb 9, 2011 Verified

The release of there first batch at the new brewery is next Saturday. Can't wait to check out the new place. Follow them on Facebook, they post updates of what's going on.

35. CaptainTripps

CaptainTripps Savant (315) Oregon Aug 8, 2010

Finally, a list I can agree with

/Boneyard Brewing still missing from the list though....