1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Much Thanks To Original IPA Innovators

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by APB, Dec 20, 2012.

1. APB

APB Savant (415) Nebraska Dec 15, 2012

I was recently informed that IPA was originally created to increase preservation time for shipping, due to malts lack there of (at least in those times idk about now)…. Want to pay homage to the creators and innovators of what is in todays time a must have in my opinion , and my favorite type of beer!! I wonder what the original creators would think of todays IPA...
    kpanter, franklinn and TheMonkfish like this.
  2. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

APB likes this.
  3. APB

@mike sorry for pointing out the obvious :)

@TheMonkfish Thanks for the link, I appreciate positive feedback that helps in my education of beer!!
    JxExM likes this.
  4. APB

for the love of hops looks good too
  5. sorry, the creators of IPA's are not reading this. They died. This is like when people pay respects to their dead grandparents on facebook... your grandma is dead, and if she was alive she still wouldn't be reading your facebook.
  6. APB

@Frankinstiener i suppose we should just oust all memorials huh… If their dead or situation is over it doesn't matter anymore? No disrespect but sorry man I think your off on this one. Myself as well as many others on Ba seem to love IPA so I tried to give respect where due, I understand that the original creator is well past.
    acelin and raffels like this.
  7. Most likely what other Englishmen think of American IPAs; too bitter and way over the top. Their loss!
  8. PoopChute69

PoopChute69 Initiate (0) Poland Oct 24, 2012

Subsequently, the British troops stationed in India were the first to taste truly world class barleywines.
    robinsmv, JxExM, meanmutt and 4 others like this.
  9. no, memorials are meant to serve as means to remember someone usually people create a monument, sculpture, etc... that people can use to remind themselves of the person(s). Don't compare your crappy online thread to any of these. I love IPA's too, but paying respect to dead people online? Just drink the IPA, enjoy it, and think of them/ remember them that way. Their legacy is being lived on through the progression and ongoing existence of IPA's not your thread.
  10. PoopChute69

You seem like a really nice guy.
  11. sure am
    JxExM likes this.
  12. APB

@Frankinstiener a quote from The Big Lebowski "The Dude: Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
    RobertColianni and acelin like this.
  13. masterofsparks

masterofsparks Savant (345) Ohio Nov 15, 2009

Just drank a Samuel Smith India Ale. No idea if this is closer to the original IPAs, but nowhere near the hop/alcohol bombs (that I love) that dominate American craft brewing these days.
  14. Winston_Smith

Winston_Smith Initiate (0) Kentucky Oct 25, 2012

You're showing your intelligence by bitching about it in his "crappy" thread online. Just look at the threads you like, enjoy them, and think of them/remember them that way. Cheers! ;)

*EDIT* Yeah, IPAs are awesome.
    GeoffreyM likes this.
  15. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Beer is good. I share your enthusiasm for Hop Forward Beers and the (under)appreciated brewers who pioneered the style, all those years ago.
    JxExM likes this.
  16. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

What? I really don't understand what you mean by this.

The British troops in India mostly drank Porter.
    robinsmv likes this.
  17. PoopChute69

That's a common misconception. They actually mostly drank India Pale Ales aged in British naval vessels: the first documented barleywine beers.
  18. Very probably those old IPAs tasted more bitter than today's American ones. They were very highly attenuated. not of high ABV, aged and probably with Brett. The hops used were mainly for bittering; modern IPAs use most of the hops for aroma and flavour (hoppiness).These factors increase perceived bitterness quite markedly.
    As patto1ro says, the troops drank Porter , about twice as much Porter was shipped to India as IPA. And that was very heavily hopped as well.
    JxExM likes this.
  19. [​IMG]

Thank you Bert Grant and cheers.

20. But our hops are more flavorful and potent than fuggles, etc. That was why they didnt like our IPAs.
  21. Bitterness reaches a maximum of about 100 because of solubility and human perception.From the pre Victorian age some beers have been bittered to this level.The perceived bitterness depends greatly on the makeup of the rest of the beer's components such as mouthfeel, ABV, residual sweetness etc.I've had incredibly bitter brews around 40 IBU and some DIPAs which didn't taste anything like as bitter yet with much higher IBUs.In fact I've felt that stuffing beers with masses of late flavour and aroma hops lessens the perceived bitterness by adding a floral sweetness.
  22. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (685) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

I take full credit for the invention of IPA's
    Keithstone44 and JxExM like this.
  23. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

They had ships not dingys
  24. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

I've seen the East India Company's tenders to supply beer. There's a greater volume of Porter than IPA. There are plenty of accounts, too, of ordinary soldiers drinking Porter. The production records of the London brewers that made it. And the huge surge in Porter imports during the Indian Mutiny when more British troops were sent to India. It's not a misconception that British troops mostly drank Porter. There's evidence from many independent sources that they did.

Barley Wine is form of a completely different type of beer: Burton Ale. The stuff they brewed in Burton before Pale Ale. Bass No. 1 Burton Ale was the original Barley Wine. Not sure if they sent that to India. I know they did send No. 3 Burton Ale to Australia.
    mathematizer likes this.
  25. We got it in the US, too. [​IMG]

(I went to school in that town, but 70 years or so later, could never find this place.)

Jones is probably Frank Jones of Portsmouth, NH and Smith's probably Robert Smith's of Philadelphia.
    RobertColianni likes this.
  26. "Member Since: Saturday"
    robinsmv and mikeburd1128 like this.
  27. There e="PoopChute69, post: 754995, member: 700408"]That's a common misconception. They actually mostly drank India Pale Ales aged in British naval vessels: the first documented barleywine beers.[/quote]
    Those beers were aged up to year before they were ever put on a boat. If you look into those beers malt bill it was just some thing termed white malt, and those beers were known to be highly attenueted with a very low FG. Barleywine - pffft.
  28. I thought this was going to be a toast to either Vinny from Russian River or Alan Sprints of Hair of the Dog for inventing the Double IPA.
  29. Even Bert Grant would not claim to be an "original IPA innovator" - besides obviously well aware of the history of the beer, he knew that when he first brewed his IPA in 1983 that "...the only other beer in the U.S. that carried the name "IPA" was one produced by Ballantine Beer (sic- it was brewed by Falstaff at that time, Ballantine having gone out of business in 1972) --- and by the early 1980's, it had become a weak interpretation of the style (despite having been glorious in its heyday during the 1960's and earlier)." from The Ale Master [1998].

Grant says his IPA was 50 IBU's and Ballantine IPA was still 45 IBU's and 7% ABV according to Falstaff's description in the GABF program that year.
    libbey likes this.
  30. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

The beer tasted really funny back then, and the people had funny accents and they smelled like fish. They walked around saying, "this sure is a long time ago"
  31. still want to thank him for reviving old traditions and demanding flavorful beers.;)
    crushedvol and HYPNOTOAD like this.
  32. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Well apparently you will have to die first, because according to this thread dead people don't have Internet access.
    Frankinstiener likes this.
  33. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Savant (495) Colorado Aug 10, 2012

* pours some Two Hearted Ale out on the ground *
    HYPNOTOAD likes this.
  34. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

I will assume that, based on your comments, you refuse to take the paid days off for such things as Memorial Day, Presidents Day, MLK Day, etc. After all; these are just silly memorials to dead dudes.
    JxExM likes this.
  35. Why would you assume that?

A federal holiday is a good way to remember someone and honor their achievements an online thread is not. Not sure why you and another poster earlier jump to the conclusion that since I think an online thread is a crappy memorial that all other forms should be done away with. Of the holidays you mentioned I get paid vacation only on Memorial Day, if they want to add "dead IPA guy day" I will oblige. You are comparing shutting the entire countries workforce down for a day to posting an online thread.
  36. Brunite

Honestly? Cuz I'm just jerking your chains! From one IL guy to another! :D
    franklinn likes this.
  37. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

Jokes are, unfortunately, a lot less funny when you have to explain them :(

*cough*mostofthisthread*cough*
    Frankinstiener and robinsmv like this.
  38. Brunite

You're joking...Right?
    franklinn likes this.
  39. Interesting to know what was meant by "Stout Ale"
    Probably meant to say Bass' Pale and Burton Ales and Stout ?
  40. Missed that. :eek: Yeah, you never know with ads like that - was it an "official" name of a beer, or just a term used by the establishment or mistake by type-setter at the newspaper? I'm guessing it's your explanation.

In the US, for most the 19th and first half of the 20th, domestically-brewed stouts were most often called "Brown Stout" (which, for the modern beer geek, usually brings to mind the inquiry "As opposed to.... what other color 'stout'?") While the US brewing industry did eventually consider stouts and porters as "ales", that wasn't as common in the pre-Prohibition era, and ads with the phrase "Beer, Ale and Porter" were still being used into the 1960's (and, for Yuengling with one of the last pre-craft porters, probably to this day).