1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Multiple dry hop additions?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by dougfur, Feb 20, 2013.

1. dougfur

dougfur Member

Are people adding dry hops in multiple, separate additions? I've been told to be wary of leaving dry hops in for more than 7-10 days, but also keep hearing about breweries with "complicated dry hop schedules". Do people add, then remove, then add something else? If so, how do you remove from a carbuoy? I've always just added one bag of hops a week or two before bottling.

Any wisdom here is much appreciated.
  2. bulletrain76

bulletrain76 Member

With conical fermentors you can easily pull most of the settled hops off of the cone after a few days, so you can add the first charge, dump them in several days, and then repeat as much as you want. Or don't dump the first charge and just add the second. That would be more if you had a preference for a longer contact time with one variety over another, or liked the complexity of the aroma of one variety steeped for two different periods of time. You can get really complex with it and it really takes a lot of experimentation to find out what you like.

In a carboy, I guess you couldn't pull out the first charge, but you can easily move the beer into a different carboy on a second charge or into a keg with keg hops. Carboy and then keg hopping seems to be the most common way to do two charges.
  3. dougfur

dougfur Member

That makes sense. Thanks!
  4. koopa

koopa Member

If I want to remove the first dry hopping before adding the second one.....
    I'll actually just do the first dry hopping in primary (when blow off has slowed to a crawl) then rack the beer into a keg (or secondary) with the 2nd dry hopping addition.

If I don't want to remove the first dry hopping before adding the second one.....
    I'll add the first dry hopping to the primary and then after a few days I'll add the second dry hopping to the primary fermenter as well.
  5. ditch

ditch Member

I like to dryhop in primary then rack onto secondary hops. It's also nice to dryhop in the keg. And then run it through a Randall. But that's just me!
  6. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Member

Kearn river citra dipa has a pretty hectic dryhop schedule, but from my understanding they don't pull the brew off the initial hops.
  7. Travisurfin247

Travisurfin247 Member

I haven't tried this yet, but I read somewhere about tying dental floss (unflavored!) to the hop bag, and leaving the end of the floss outside the carboy. When your desired contact time is up, just pull the carboy bung out and pull the string to remove the bag. The floss is supposed to be small enough so that the rubber bung or stopper still makes a good seal. This would also work for keg hopping, I suppose.
    afrokaze likes this.
  8. bgjohnston

bgjohnston Member

I had a clone recipe that called for multiple dry hop additions, and while it indicated I should remove the first charge after a week and add a second, I didn't want to buy hop bags and so I ended up just adding the second addition after a week.

I don't think it hurt anything, even though I usually follow directions on a clone recipe exactly, at least the first time I try it.
  9. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Member

Vinnie Teh Elder's PtE recipe calls...nay...demands two dry-hop additions.
    1st @14 days before bottling.
    2nd @5 days before bottling.

I add these d-hops one after the other. This process produces award-winning results; altho it should be duly noted...none of my brews have ever been entered in any competition.

YMM or may not Vary.
  10. afrokaze

afrokaze Member

+1, makes clean up a lot easier and results in less hop crap getting in the bottle.
  11. harsley

harsley Member

So what's the benefit? What differences do you see in multiple dry hop additions? Curious...
  12. RumHam

RumHam Member

I've done multiple dry hop additions for a PtE clone in a glass fermenter, I just wasn't able to remove the previous additions. I was warned that this could cause grassy flavors, but it worked out just fine.
  13. koopa

koopa Member

While I can't give any scientific references to back up the following claim, generally speaking the idea is that longer contact time with the hops can produce vegetal / grassy flavors as well as "perceived dryness" in the final product.
  14. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Member

I do double dry hops all the time actually. I do it in the keg, I don't dry hop in the primary, and if I do it's super rare unless I want to get a jump start on it, and know I have a keg that won't be ready for it early enough.

I also tend to leave hops in the keg for more than a week.. More than two weeks, and 3 weeks isn't unheard of. Most of the time, by 3 weeks, the bag is suspended and draining above the line of beer in the keg anyways.

If I feel the beer needed some more juice, I'll toss in some leaf and have at it. Changes the profile of the beer if I use something different than was in there.

I have a DIPA now that is/was pretty delicious. Had a boatload of Simcoe and Chinook in there. I did Chinook first, and then 2 more ounces of Simcoe in there. I actually for the first time got a little grassy note after 3 weeks in there. Decided to freshen it up a bit, and tossed in 2 ounces of Comet leaf.. It's intense now. Orange juice covered weed.
  15. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Member

You can put hops in a tea strainer in your glass too:D
    ditch likes this.
  16. VikeMan

VikeMan Member

This really is a keg hopping technique, and many people do it. I'm one. But trying this in a carboy is a recipe for disappointment. If you use a significant quantity of hops, they will swell and are likely to not fit back through the opening. Don't ask me how I know.
  17. brewsader

brewsader Member

one of the bigger pains in the ass i've dealt with homebrewing. is there any way to get a hop bag out of a carboy?
  18. dougfur

dougfur Member

I was thinking about this, but with fishing line. Floss is probably better because it's flat.
  19. dougfur

dougfur Member

Kind of surprising that they don't sell little 1/2 oz "tea bags" of hops. I guess they might be tough to sterilize though.
  20. pweis909

pweis909 Member

My approach in the past (pre- keg-hopping) was to use a wire hook to pull enough of the bag through the neck so I could cut it with a scissors, then carefully turn the bag sideways so that the hops can fall back into the carboy as I try to pull the bag out. I was not reusing my bags. And it probably sounds easier than it actually was.
  21. brewsader

brewsader Member

makes sense. i've started keg hopping--should i worry about the hops being in too long?
  22. VikeMan

VikeMan Member

Wait, you wanted the hops to fall back in? Why?
  23. pweis909

pweis909 Member

Then I can easily pull the hop sack out of the neck. With that obstruction removed, I can rinse the carboy and pour the hops out as a slurry. Perhaps there is another way, but this is the one I thought of. Once I became convinced of the lack of need for secondary, I switched from dry hopping in a secondary carboy to dry hopping in a bucket post-primary to dry hopping in a keg. The only time I have employed this hop bag sacrifice ritual in the past several years has been with a brett beer that I kept in a secondary, and then dry hopped before bottling.
  24. VikeMan

VikeMan Member

Ah, okay. You're talking about after you have already racked the beer away? I think OP was talking about removing the hop bag from a carboy full of beer.
  25. pweis909

pweis909 Member

You must be right given the topic is multiple dry hop additions. Now that I think about it, that would be a real PITA.