1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Murda'd Out Stout 3 Floyds Tuesday release

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by lwburns15, Dec 11, 2012.

1. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

The anticipation is killing me.

EDIT: :rolleyes:

stxSS07 likes this.
  2. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

So much auto correct in this thread.

Bluecane likes this.
  3. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

Awww I thought we were fwends...

Treebs and pmoney like this.
  4. LarryByrd

LarryByrd Zealot (75) Indiana Nov 3, 2012

Opened my bottle up just a little while ago. So good, sweet but not over powering and with a nice bourbon heat. And may I add that this is a perfect winter beer.

5. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

You opened a bottle?!?! :eek:

You're not actually supposed to ENJOY the beer.

YogiBeer, JPortillo, gill897 and 9 others like this.
  6. stxSS07

There's magic in them there barrels. Well, except for the sour ones...only wee and spew in those.

7. ..Me and Alex just need to change the beer to "Ballet Stout" in our respective databases.. and add a Murda'd alt called "Barrel Aged Ballet"

Gonzoillini, MasterSki and Treebs like this.
  8. OPSippin

OPSippin Aficionado (145) Illinois Sep 18, 2012

I will buy someone a bottle if they can buy me two and meet IP in Chicago. Will they sell you 3? BM to confirm if you can do it so I don't overextend myself.

Is this acceptable BA ettiquette?

9. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (585) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

Ok so I am a huge FFF fan but barrel aging a blend that was already barrel aged separately just seems a little lame and like they are trying to just sell something in a different bottle for more.

10. stxSS07

Baller Stout wasn't barrel-aged. Sounds like they reserved some of the base beers last year, put them (individually) into barrels (according to my man up there ^), then pulled them out of said individual barrels this year and blended 'em then.

11. jeonseh

jeonseh Savant (495) Indiana Oct 14, 2007

It's limit one

They didn't BA a blend of BA beers. They blended 4 BA beers into one (the 4 beers that went into Baller)

12. krl2112

Yeah but the Mikkeller was already barrel aged. I dunno not a big deal but it just seems they are reaching at straws. Don't just barrel age EVERYTHING you brew and sell it as a new brew. That is my only issue. And I know it's not just FFF doing this.

13. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

14. krl2112

I stand corrected. However my original comment holds true. Don't just barrel age everything so u can sell a new beer at an even higher premium.

15. stxSS07

Barrel aging takes up space in the brewery (14? months in this case) that could be used for beers with higher profit-margins. Thus, BA = more $$$.

You don't have to buy it if you don't want to, but coming on BA and complaining does nothing (not to mention it's old hat).

dman5400 and Etan like this.
  16. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Personally I think FFF's barrel aged stouts blow their non-barrel aged counterparts out of the water, more than justifying the price hike.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Shagtastic, gill897, dman5400 and 2 others like this.
  17. krl2112

Not really complaining more than voicing an opinion. That is what this site is for; to discuss and share opinions. All I am saying is that I believe breweries are using barrel aging a bit as a crutch.

18. stxSS07

Agree to disagree. *hat tip*

Dontcounttoday and krl2112 like this.
  19. krl2112

Nevertheless I will have to probably go buy it. Uhggg!! Lol

20. stxSS07

Same here. I'll definitely pick another one up if they're available tomorrow.

Damn my sick love affair with their BA stouts.

21. LarryByrd

LarryByrd Zealot (75) Indiana Nov 3, 2012

I do have to say that not tweeting it really made for easier time trying to get it. In a couple of days word of mouth will get a round and there will be a mile long line for people getting this for Christmas

22. stxSS07

This.

I was literally the only person on the to-go side for the 5 minutes that I was in there.

23. Bubble inflating...

YogiBeer likes this.
  24. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Considering it's $50, me too. This week already had potential of being a very expensive beer week.

awdturboiv likes this.
  25. foobula

foobula Savant (340) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

FTFY

I'd love to try it, but not going all in for $50 to try an experiment, particularly after giving up $60 for some pretty nasty beer in April.

26. stxSS07

It's 1/4th Bourbon DL. They've got me hook, line, and....ahhh....Grant?

27. foobula

foobula Savant (340) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

I did like Baller Stout. It's just., man, $50 is a lot of money for a brewery & beer I've had mixed results with. If I tried it on tap and loved it, I would still think twice about one $50 bomber.

How much are the BA bottles at DLD, $100?

28. stxSS07

$50. Also BA Baller is a 750ml (I know, I know).

29. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (415) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

You can enjoy it, but unopened on the shelve. This will prolong the enjoyment indefinitely instead of the brief enjoyment you will get from drinking it.

tehzachatak likes this.
  30. To this point I Imagine this is a creative way to get the margins and income they need due to the cap on Indiana brewing laws. I'm are they would surpass their maximum brewing ability. My guess is this is heir way of making profit due to post sales based on archaic Indiana laws. If that is the case it is a smart business decision. Who do to think you're dealing with, a bunch of metal heads???

stxSS07 likes this.
  31. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

I thought they were all Kung-Fu enthusiasts?

32. No, that's so 2011. I heard they like doing midnight bicycle rides and having parties in abandoned tire factories.

33. MUMike

MUMike Aficionado (145) Missouri Feb 3, 2012

Dwayne Bowe avatar? If you're a KC fan, there aren't many of us left. I've been to a few games this year, but there hasn't been much to cheer for.

34. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (340) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

I think it's acceptable. In fact, I sent you a message. Let me know if you're still down.

fishtremble likes this.
  35. iadler

iadler Savant (415) Illinois Aug 12, 2009

$50 huh? Call me crazy but that's less expensive than I thought they were going to charge for it. I mean DL is $15 and $50 for BA DL...so $30 for Baller and $50 for Murda'd Out...That's a steal!! :rolleyes:

36. C2H5

C2H5 Savant (435) Illinois Jan 7, 2012

Dark Lord, Surly Darkness, De Struise Black Albert, and Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch

If they didn't barrel age them they couldn't sell them ( aside from the darklord) they cant just sell surly darkness by itself..so throw them all in barres and blend them all and now its something else.

I would have loved to try that barrel aged darkness, Id pay 50 for that

37. iadler

iadler Savant (415) Illinois Aug 12, 2009

Agree. I really wished that Surly bottled their BA Darkness with vanilla beans. That sh*t was delicious.

38. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

Black Albert is just plain Not Good by itself....

39. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

From the sounds of it, BA Dark Lord, BA Darkness, BA Black Albert, and BA Brunch Weasel (least exciting of the four), are all relatively good BA beers. If it is blended to taste by someone who isn't inept, I'd think it'd be hard for this beer to be anything but great. BA Black Albert was fantastic, as is BA DL. BA Darkness I can only imagine is fantastic, and BA Weasel is also new to me, but hopefully this bottle will live up to it's hefty price tag (I'd like to mirror the sentiments of others who thought this would be more than $50 when it was finally released, pretty surprised FFF isn't charging $75).

EseLocoSS likes this.
  40. BeerBob26

BeerBob26 Aficionado (155) Illinois Mar 22, 2012

I'll be there in a few minutes then driving back to downers grove. Any suburban chi area BA's lookin for a bottle? I'm not gonna be buying one. Let me know if I can mule it back for ya.

Holler.