1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Murda'd Out Stout 3 Floyds Tuesday release

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by lwburns15, Dec 11, 2012.

1. BeerBob26

BeerBob26 Aficionado (155) Illinois Mar 22, 2012

Looks to be taken care of. Got a few replies

2. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Opened a bottle at Fff. Its legit. Coming from someone who stills hates regular baller.

stxSS07 and MarkIntihar like this.
  3. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Still jelly.

4. Franch

Franch Advocate (540) New York Mar 22, 2011

if anyone wants to do this for someone who will be coming home for holidays next week.... i'd love you forever (SW suburbs or city)

5. C2H5

C2H5 Savant (435) Illinois Jan 7, 2012

Any left?

6. Lukafer

Lukafer Savant (370) Michigan Dec 18, 2009

This beer sounds great, call me crazy but I really liked regular Baller Stout too. I got a bottle of Alpha Kong for ya if any one has an extra.

7. lurchingbeast

I should've bought you one. I was too drunk to care about other people.

I'll see if I can swing by tomorrow if you want.

8. MarkIntihar

No worries, a friend of a friend wentandpickedoneupformebro as an early Christmas present. But thank you for the offer. Friends are awesome :D

9. lurchingbeast

10. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Aficionado (240) Illinois Mar 31, 2011

Wife and I each just bought one.
    I figure I have to help make sure they don't go out of business, and this charitable donation is tax deductible, right?

Really, what it is, is this, for me.
    Baller would be a fine beer at $10-15.
    It's not as good as they probably hoped it would be.

In Nov, we did a baller deconstruction, and like other folks, we felt that all 4 were better than the blend. Maybe some folks had poorly cellared Weasel, as ours was great. Our Black Albert was older, so that may be unfair, but it was the best of the 4.

Anyhow, I didn't love last years DL, and didn't really LIKE this year's DL, but the BA beers from both, I have LOVED. So it was worth the risk. It's overpriced. But I felt like peeing money, because Alpha King was on cask, and I very much enjoyed Blot Out The Sun. Either way, someone gotta buy dis beer.

stxSS07 and C2H5 like this.
  11. MarkIntihar

Does anyone know/have any info on whether this was blended to taste rather than just blended evenly like Baller?

12. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

$50 legit?

Taste/Cost ratio is key in this instance. BCBCS is legit, and a 750 ml version would cost around $25-$30 based on a price of $21.99-$24.99. Would I pay $30 for a 750ml bottle of BCBCS? More than likely.

Not the best example, granted, but BBPt5 is also quite good. 2.11 bottles of BBPt5 = 750 ml. The cost would be $11.43 for a 750ml bomber. I would pay twice that price if BBPt5 were in bomber form, and I'm sure many would do the same.

13. MarkIntihar

Then by all means, please leave it there so I can pick more up when I come home for the holidays! :D

beachstrength49 likes this.
  14. lurchingbeast

Or you can look at it as only a 66% markup on the non barrel aged. Opposed to Dark Lord, which has a 233% "barrel aging fee".

By the way, I hate math. Those numbers are highly suspect.

15. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (415) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

If people buy them, they are worth the price paid.

[​IMG]

drewba, burica2020, Vav and 1 other person like this.
  16. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Ohio Nov 12, 2010

And then you can cmonmangetoneformetoo ;)

MarkIntihar likes this.
  17. lurchingbeast

Agreed. My point was if they used standard Dark Lord price scheme, Murda'd should be $100.

18. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (325) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

That graph was so 2003. I'm not convinced ;)

sarcastro likes this.
  19. mbockstruck30

By the way, I'm seeing people post that Murda'd was a blend of each of the four beers individually barrel-aged, THEN blended. Doesn't make much sense. Until someone confirms it in this thread, I'm not buying it.

Between Westy and Murda'd, yesterday hurt my wallet...and my shoulder once my girlfriend found out. :confused:

20. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

Just to clarify - I'm not saying $50 is outside the bounds of reasonableness. I was asking if it is worth spending the $50 in response to the post stating that it was very good. My apologies if my response came off as saying that the $50 was not reasonable - such was not my intent.

21. MarkIntihar

Oh no, I knew exactly what you were asking, I was just trying to talk you into passing ;)

CityofBals likes this.
  22. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

I think it is purely speculation, but maybe Lurchingbeast or Sean can chime in since they cracked a bottle (and have strong opinions on the base beer). Maybe a deconstruction is necessary (although finding BA Darkness and Negru Albert might prove to be a fool's errand).

23. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (445) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

I talked to the staff on Tuesday night when it was released. There were 8 bourbon barrels. Two barrels each were filled with Dark Lord, Darkness, Black Albert, and Beer Geek Brunch. They sat for 12-14 months and then were blended to taste. Zero kegs filled, approximately 900 bottles.

They did not blend pre-barreling. That's why they didn't just call it "BA Baller Stout", because it's not technically BA Baller Stout.

mbockstruck30 likes this.
  24. Anyone know if this is still on?

I grabbed a couple Tuesday but would be interested in stopping by again for another bottle or two should it still be around today-tomorrow.

PS - Excellent info, Anonymous1

25. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (415) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

They probably saw there was a lower demand for Baller Stout, so lowered the price of the BA version.

26. mbockstruck30

Well that's good to know if its true (not that I don't trust you, I've just found FFF staff aren't always the most reliable sources ;) ). Hopefully blended better than Baller as well!

27. Anonymous1

That's just what the guy told me, because that was my first question as well.

"Did you guys blend then age, or age then blend?"

He definitively stated that the reason that they didn't just call it "BA Baller" is because they aged before blending, so it wouldn't be accurate to call it BA Baller.

28. CityofBals

What if they accidentally blended it to taste with the same ratio as Baller? o_O

29. A good point.. but if it was 8 barrels of total barrel aged stout, I'd imagine 8 barrels total all bottled would be considerably more than 900ish bottles, no?

30. Anonymous1

Good point, that's just what he told me. Here's my math:

53 gallons in a bourbon barrel x 128 (oz per gallon) x 8 barrels / 25.35oz (oz per 750ml bottle) = 2,141 bottles?

Let's say the barrels are ~10% evaporated due to the Angel's share so ~1,900 bottles. Then let's assume they needed to do some blending to get the right taste instead of using 25% across the board to achieve 100% yield.

Even if it's 26%, 26%, 24%, 24% they're looking at reducing the yield on several barrels (which could possibly be unblended, bottled and given to friends, etc.) Let's say the residual yield after blending is 85%, we're looking at ~1,600 bottles.

I'm sure several were held back for family, friends, investors, the Surly guys, Mikkeller, De Struise etc. I know we're not quite at 900, but it didn't seem all that unreasonable to me.

Also I'm not a brewer/blender so someone else may be able to have a better idea what type of yields you'd get with an 8 barrel blend. That's just what the guy told me.

31. That all depends. If you're blending to taste you could use all of one beer and a minute amount of another... that'd be an impossible thing to predict (eg: Firestone Walker's Anni. beers).

32. Upwards of 2 bottles!
    It's safe to say you're Baller-in' then, yes?

mbockstruck30 and DanH11 like this.
  33. marcgo2

marcgo2 Aficionado (235) Illinois Nov 16, 2010

I was told there'd be no math.

Duff27, immobilisme and MarkIntihar like this.
  34. Anonymous1

Yep, that was my point. If the beer was 50% Dark Lord we're looking at only ~900 total bottles after the angels share and before any bottles were held back for friends, family, other brewers, etc.

35. CityofBals

This. Although, you do bring up good points.

36. otrejo

otrejo Savant (275) Illinois Mar 8, 2011

I'm still waiting for someone to post a photo of 12 bottles with the caption: "Murda'd was the case that they gave me"

37. CityofBals

What does this mean?

awdturboiv likes this.
  38. otrejo

otrejo Savant (275) Illinois Mar 8, 2011

It's a Snoop Dogg reference.

39. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (430) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

I always thought the problem with the base beer Baller Stout was the whack job dry hop they did with the blend. I mean even if you did a 1:1:1:1 blend, it shouldn't have came out that bad considering they are all about the same style. It would have been better if they did to taste (less DL, more Darkness, less Struise, more Mikkeller) but I think the result that was that mess was due to the dry hop.

Now if those base beers weren't dry-hopped (which I assume they weren't) and then barrel aged and then blended, I can see the result being pretty damn good. Hence what I am hearing but again it could have been even better if they blended to taste.

40. MarkIntihar

Huh? This is literally the first I've ever heard it mentioned that Baller Stout was dry hopped... source?