1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Murda'd Out Stout 3 Floyds Tuesday release

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by lwburns15, Dec 11, 2012.

1. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (410) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

I always assumed it was, where the heck else did that hop character come from? A couple folks at the party I thought confirmed it but that was a year and a few brain cells ago.

EDIT ---- A google search reveals I could be nutzo. I've seen no one else say that.

EDIT EDIT ---- Looks like it may have been from the darkness. I only had one darkness a year ago and i think it was a couple years old so I wasn't privy to the hoppiness.

2. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

I always assumed it came from the hoppy monster that was 2011 Darkness.

stickfigureshouldershrugguy.jpg

Shagtastic likes this.
  3. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

I hope you're old, otherwise this means I'M old.

4. Franch

Franch Advocate (540) New York Mar 22, 2011

i also have no clue, and i hope i'm not old.

5. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

It means I'm old then..

AxesandAnchors and Czar_chasm like this.
  6. Franch

1994? gawd. i was seven. can't blame me.

7. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (325) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

Damn kids these days...

:p

Docrock and zieglemt like this.
  8. That puts you at 8 years old for the year hip-hop died (1995). God that sucks, you don't know what you missed!

9. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Aficionado (240) Illinois Mar 31, 2011

8 barrels becoming 900-ish bottles (if true) would probably mean that they blended to taste, a significantly greater quantity of some of the beer than others. Like, if the Black Albert went to hell in the barrel, there might not be much in there. It could also mean that they kegged a bunch of it up to serve randomly, or at next DLD.

Either way, if it's good, that'd be a relief. I guess we'll know sooner or later...

10. Franch

but biggie died in 97

11. Study and compare his first and second records. I think you'll find he died before '97.

12. Part of me actually really would like to try this

ehammond1 likes this.
  13. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

Which part? ;)

StarRaptor likes this.
  14. Docrock

Docrock Savant (455) Illinois Jan 21, 2012

Was at 3F today for lunch and they still had some left.

15. digginx

digginx Initiate (15) Dec 15, 2012

bought the last bottle at my local liquor store today. I have the original baller stout and now this...can't wait to taste the difference

16. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

How much did your local illegally sell these for?

17. I know a place or 2 that FFF sends a few bottles of all their special releases, totally legally. They usually put them out with just a $5 increase

18. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Totally legally without label approval and required info?

BeerMeFitz likes this.
  19. Oh well.........yeah probably not

All I meant was that they are not going to FFF to buy the beers themselves directly, then reselling them in their shops.

20. nben60

nben60 Aficionado (105) Indiana May 30, 2011

they are reselling it illegaly, fff cant send those hand label bottles through a distributor, i know they send some special release to bars for tasting nights, but not to liquor stores. fff has a big problem with liquors stores buying from their kiosk a reselling illegally, that is why there is a 2 case limit. every time i sit at the bar i see guys come in with like 10 bums and buy as much beer as they can to stock their stores, it was prolly one of those guys.

Docrock and Imacopyouidiot like this.
  21. dmsulli

dmsulli Savant (270) Illinois Jan 30, 2012

In case anyone is worried, there is still a shitload of these bottles here.

22. immobilisme

immobilisme Savant (380) Illinois Nov 8, 2005

People being worried about a silent release of a $50 bottle in Munster, effing IN being sold out in less than 3 days is comical.

BA Dark Lord sells out because it is at one of the largest beer release events in the country and people plan (and save money) for months.

I got a bottle on Thursday night and there wasn't even a line of any sort. I actually enjoy 3 Floyds pricing to a certain extent. It is released on a Tuesday, I can meander down to Munster without dropping everything without worrying it is sold out and waiting in a line, and I don't have to worry about trading any since I can only afford one at this point!

I much prefer it to Goose Island releases of late. I didn't even bother looking for Cherry Rye (or Coffee for that matter), because I have grown to hate "the chase." I didn't get any BB Pt5 at 4Elf, but I certainly got really drunk and had a great time. General releases of sought-after beer at bottle shops just are becoming too big of a hassle for me in Chicago.

23. jefeld

jefeld Aficionado (195) Illinois Mar 31, 2010

how is it a silent release? 3 floyds put it on their Facebook which reaches many, many people. also word spread even quicker on BA. also, many hundreds of people waited in long lines at the anniversary party for the non barrel aged version, so one would think that the BA version would be quite in demand. in fact, at 50 bux for a barrel aged stout, pricing is right on par for ba dark lord as has been the case for the last 2 years. so i don't find it that surprising at all that there is any "worry" about landing some, if they want to worry, let em, no loss to those who aren't worried.

24. immobilisme

immobilisme Savant (380) Illinois Nov 8, 2005

It is a silent release because it was released on Tuesday and wasn't publicized by them until at least a full day later. I suppose it could be called a semi-silent release. This is a moot point though, because The. Beer. Is. Still. Available.

Every Bell's release is silent, but people on Beer Advocate announce it on their own. The only true silent releases (recently) of sought-after beer (sought-after by me) are things from the PNW like Peche 'n Brett and Oak Aged Bretta. The only reason I knew they were released is that people posted reviews. Most people in Portland didn't even know that Oak Aged Bretta was bottled when I put an ISO up.

25. CLCardinal84

CLCardinal84 Savant (320) Illinois Jan 29, 2012

I ended up driving over for some ZD cases and hoped this was still available and it was. Gladly this was the one release I'd hoped had stayed around because I think it will be great. Yes it's $50, but it will be a holiday treat split between my brother and I on Christmas and sharing this will be worth more than $50 I can make back next week.

26. otrejo

otrejo Savant (275) Illinois Mar 8, 2011

And it's back, 3 Floyds FB says they have another batch for sale today.

27. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

"Another batch of Murda'd Out Stout, (bbl aged Baller Stout), is now for sale in the pub. Limit 1/person. $50. 750ml."

Per FFF's facebook page.

28. jeonseh

jeonseh Savant (495) Indiana Oct 14, 2007

I have a feeling it's the same batch that they are releasing as I went there yesterday and they still had a good 5 cases just at the checkout area.

awdturboiv likes this.
  29. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Agreed. Little chance its a different batch.

30. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

Can anyone comment on the #s on the bottles of what was released today? Same base as before?

31. FullObs

FullObs Savant (280) Illinois Jul 27, 2010

U wanna meet at the pub first and we could go from there? 8:45 - 9

32. incubuscience

incubuscience Savant (415) Illinois Jul 26, 2012

Anyone wanna pick me up in Logan Square tomorrow before they head to FFF for lunch?

33. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

I'll do it...for a fee.

34. CLCardinal84

CLCardinal84 Savant (320) Illinois Jan 29, 2012

Has anyone tried the bottles they purchased yet? I have one, just curious what I am getting.

35. Sean9689

Sean9689 Advocate (705) Illinois Mar 17, 2009

lurchingbeast and I cracked one at the BrewPub and it was pretty good. A lot better then Baller Stout, for sure. I didn't rate it or anything, but if I had to assign a number to it, I'd say it's in the 3.8 range with room to improve.

FlssmrBrewAlum likes this.
  36. incubuscience

incubuscience Savant (415) Illinois Jul 26, 2012

I really should start checking this forum earlier in the morning...and before I order pizza. Dammit.

stxSS07 likes this.
  37. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

I'm sitting one down because I also think it will improve. I'd give it at least a 4.0 though for BA stouts.

38. Chi81

Chi81 Zealot (90) Illinois Dec 22, 2010

You beat me to it, I was thinking the same thing

C2H5 likes this.
  39. Docrock

Docrock Savant (455) Illinois Jan 21, 2012

See the same thing all the time, looks like drug deals with cases of beer in the Parking Lot.

nben60 and Beezee like this.
  40. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

My girl got a little tipsy with a friend at the Three Floyds brewpub on Sunday night...and she ended up picking up a bottle of the Murda'd Out Stout...even though we had both agreed that it was just too much to spend...so I guess we'll be trying that soonish...she's flying out to Maine in a couple of days...here's hoping she throws it in her suitcase.

cfrances33 likes this.