1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Must be lucky.

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by copslovebeer, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Got a nice fridge conversion draft setup for my birthday with perlick faucets. Once all parts and tools were acquired and prepared I had it installed in less than 30 minutes. Took good care when setting all hoses and co2 equipment to minimize leaks. Tapped up a chilled sixtel of New Belguim Ranger and waited an hour for my faucet and line temps to equalize. Star San sprayed on all connections to check for leaks, finding none. Perfect pours right away. I must be lucky, but damn it's nice when everything works out just right, especially considering all the "foamy beer" questions in this thread! Now of only Toppling Goliath sold barrels for private consumption.... Clark, I'm looking in your direction!

Cheers
  2. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (340) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

Don't count your chickens before the eggs fall out of the basket. Perfect initial pours are great, but do not necessarily equate to a perfect setup. If you overcarb the beer, you will likely end up with foamy pours later in the keg. It is important to know the temperature of the beer, volumes of co2 the beer is carbed at, your altitude above sea level, and then have the correct beer line length for all these variables. Hopefully you have it right from the start!
  3. 35 degrees, unsure of co2vols serving at 10-11psi, 730 feet above sea level 5.5 foot lines. Anything looking risky as far
    As levels?
  4. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

11 psi at 35F will get you to a hair over 2.6 volumes of CO2 at equilibrium. Your line length (assuming 3/16" ID plastic tubing) should be fine.
  5. Sounds like you avoided most of the problems simply by taking the time to do everything right (as you've probably correctly concluded by now, it's not rocket science). Congratulations! Ranger is a nice beer to start with, but, unless you have multi-tap setup featuring different styles, I would caution against anything bigger than a sixtel of something like that. Palate fatigue can be a b*tch with hoppy beers. Unfortunately, sixtels are not a whole lot different than bottles, price-wise.
  6. I noticed that as far as price was concerned. My sixtel of ranger was over 70. It's a small price to pay to be able to enjoy draught at home though. I am a fan of hoppy beers and wanted something that had a fruity Simcoe finish with reasonable IBUs. My next keg will probably still be hoppy, but more along the lines of an APA a la New Glarus Moon Man