1. One Hundred Mags (Rule). Check out the sneak peek of BeerAdvocate magazine #100, plus some of the changes coming your way.

Must-go at London ?

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by andresilva, Mar 4, 2013.

1. andresilva

andresilva Disciple (70) Brazil Oct 13, 2010

Hi folks.

I'll have a quick stop(only two nights) at London next week.
    Which are the must-go bars/pubs with good cask ales and nice beer selection ?

Cheers!

2. The Rake is pretty cool.

People say the Market Porter not too far away is great, but I didn't think their selection was anything special and neither was the atmosphere.

3. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (510) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

The Royal Oak on Tabard Street. A great little Harvey's pub with casl Mild.

4. The Cask: Pub and Kitchen!!

It's in Pimlico - a couple of stops from Oxford Street on the Tube.

Just make sure you have a few hours up your sleeve, because you could be there for awhile :)

5. The Cask is great. Go to Oxford street then change to the victoria line and go south to Pimlico, then it's like a 3-4 minute walk.

Would help to know where you're staying.

6. It was a total let down when I visited too. It used to get props on blogs but I was distinctly underwhelmed, maybe I've been spoiled.

7. I've been lucky enough to make extended visits London each of the last two years, and will actually be flying over again tomorrow. Out of the couple dozen pubs a couple hundred real ales I've gotten to sample, I'd recommend the following, in no particular order:

The Euston Tap - great atmosphere, fair prices, and good selections of both imported drafts and craft casks; can get crowded, but if it does look across the way to the Euston Cider Tap, which has additional seating and (at least last year) was never nearly as crowded.
    Cask Pub & Kitchen - terrific bottle selection, as well as a solid lineup of casks; very elegant, slightly upscale atmosphere, with prices to match.
    The White Horse - huge selection of real ales, and some solid bottles as well. A bit out of the way, and yet extremely busy the one time I visited.
    Craft Beer Co - similar to Cask Pub & Kitchen in pretty much every way, probably because they're run by the same people.
    Jerusalem Tavern - a St. Peter's tied house, and therefore somewhat limited in selection, but simply a wonderfully old-fashioned, cozy pub atmosphere. Just avoid the Honey Porter.
    Southampton Arms - a bit of a haul from central London, but a fantastic old-school boozer. Nothing but British real ales available, but imports and drafts would feel decidedly out of place here.
    BrewDog Pub - located in Camden Town, which can be fun if you're into a punk/alternative scene, this definitely isn't the place to go for traditional cask ale but it did have Cantillon Gueuze on tap the one time I went, so it must be mentioned.
    King William III - the home base for Brodie's, this is a charming old-fashioned pub with quality ales at rock-bottom prices...I believe everything (including some unusually high-ABV offerings) was 2 pounds a pint, or 1 a half. It's out in Zone 4 or 5, though, so visiting is quite a time investment
    The Rake - it's quite small, quite crowded, and a bit pricy, but they always have good quality offerings and are located right in Borough Market, which is a great place to get some food if you're in town while it's running. Also check out UTO Beer, the stall in the market that sells possibly the best selection of bottles in London; same owners as the Rake.
    The Kernel - Only open on Saturdays, and not a pub at all, but if you're in town when the Kernel is open for business you should absolutely check it out. I'm assuming their new location still allows you to sit down and open the beers you've just purchased, preferably along with some meat and cheese from their neighboring vendors.

Cheers!