1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Must hit places in Denver/Fort Collins, or special events on 2/21-24?

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by GraniteSkunk, Jan 6, 2013.

1. GraniteSkunk

GraniteSkunk Savant (375) Illinois Apr 17, 2007

Just curious if there are any "don't miss" places out in Denver or Fort Collins. My girlfriend/fiancee/spousal equivalent and I are heading out there to visit some of her family and to watch some hockey. I'm planning on hitting a few places(Great Divide, Crooked Stave, etc), but haven't been out that way in years. Is there any place that we really need to see? It also doesn't have to be beer related, as she doesn't drink.

Also, if anyone needs something from out Illinois/Iowa way, let me know and I'll see what I can get together.

2. drumrboy22

drumrboy22 Savant (495) Colorado Jul 22, 2005

If you're willing to drive down to CO Springs, the Firkin Rendezvous is at Bristol on 2/23.

3. GraniteSkunk

Odd question:

Has anyone on here been to a Cutthroats game yet?

4. I'd keep an eye out during that time for a possible Pliny The Younger tapping. Falling Rock tapped 3 kegs last year I believe and one of them was towards the end of February.

GraniteSkunk likes this.
  5. Been to a few. They ended up being much more fun than I expected. It seems just as loud as the Pepsi Center has been the past few years even though there is normally just 3-5k people in there. The organization is great to at fan interactions.

chicano4craft and GraniteSkunk like this.
  6. GraniteSkunk

My local team plays 'em while we are out there, so we are gonna go. It sounds like a pretty entertaining place to catch a game or two. I'm looking forward to it

I had heard that - Im gonna keep my fingers crossed. I'll assume that it will be mentioned here on BA if there is such a tapping announced.

7. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (195) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

Eat and Drink before you go to the game, not much right there, but it is only 10 minutes out of downtown. Also, keep an eye out on Euclid Hall. One Sunday a month they will be tapping a keg of Pliny.

GraniteSkunk likes this.
  8. GraniteSkunk

I'm still not sure if we're going home on Sunday or Monday yet, but if we stay Sunday, I'll definitely be there.

9. woodchopper

woodchopper Savant (365) Illinois Jul 31, 2010

Euclid hall was an awesome time great beers and great food i was there during GABF. One of the top spots of the trip for sure duck confit fries were unbelievable..... Yes i went back a few days later for some more....
    :)

coreymcafee likes this.
  10. redblacks75

redblacks75 Savant (440) Iowa Oct 29, 2010

I was at Euclid Hall yesterday, and it has a great tap list, unreal cellared list (including sours), and great food. Falling Rock was another highlight of this trip so far as well.

11. Steve_0

Steve_0 Savant (275) Colorado Mar 14, 2012

If you are looking for Pliny, Falling Rock usually always has it on tap. Also, I really love the tap list at Hops & Pie; it is always changing, you can buy samples, and the food is great too!

12. heyduke

heyduke Aficionado (180) Colorado Jan 14, 2011

Stop by blackshirt brewing if you go to the game it's close to the place they play.

13. mrbill57

mrbill57 Aficionado (130) Minnesota Feb 21, 2011

If you're heading to Fort Collins I would definitely check out Choice City Butcher and Deli. They have excellent food and an excellent tap list. Black Bottle Brewery just opened up a few weeks ago and is worth checking out; they have a bunch of taps as well as their own. You could also stop by Funkwerks; there's not much to see but the beer is very good.

GraniteSkunk likes this.
  14. harperman69

harperman69 Savant (355) Tennessee Feb 11, 2009

Agreed with that and check out Equinox Brewing as well. lots of above average (nothing knock your socks off) beers and has two different sets of flights.

15. GraniteSkunk

Thanks again, folks! If anyone is looking for King Henry, Depth Charge, Fou Foune, 2010 Huna, or something else, let me know. I'm bringing my little bottle bag with me and wouldn't mind doing an in person trade or two.

16. GraniteSkunk

Anyone on the lookout for some Bourbon County Coffee or Cherry Rye? My buddy is looking for some Loons, and I figure if there are some Denver folk with some, and are looking for the variants, I could just do an in person swap for him.

Gonna be bringing a few bottles out as well(aforementioned Depth Charge, Huna, and a few others)

17. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (550) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Would be up for some sharing that weekend! I have it off! Let me know we have some good BAs up here in Ft. Collins! Quad Cities huh, I spent a semester at Augustana College and that was enough :)

GraniteSkunk likes this.
  18. GraniteSkunk

Unfortunately, I won't really have time for a bottle share. I'll be swinging by Great Divide, and a couple other places, but it's mainly a weekend for my better half to spend time with her family that she hasn't seen in years(and I get to meet for the first time, joy), and to check out some hockey.

Hey, the QC isn't bad! It's better than, say, Dayton, Ohio :p I'm actually about 5 minutes from Augie - there is one great craft beer bar, one decent one, and one that I won't really comment on within another five minutes of there now.

SalukiAlum likes this.
  19. Moose90

Moose90 Savant (460) Colorado Nov 25, 2012

No. But with Avs tickets being so cheap its more worth your while to go see them. Cutthroats are supposed to be OK, the venue is far from great...

If your in Fort Collins, stop by Wilburs, they sometimes have some hard to get stuff. If you want stuff on tap, come to Patrick's in Greeley, and make sure you stop by Odell's in Fort Collins, they usually tap a Firkin on Friday's but I don't know that they have been doing it as often lately.

GraniteSkunk likes this.
  20. GraniteSkunk

Okay, so how about Left Hand? Worth stopping at? I can't find their current tap list on their jacked up website.

Well, our local team is playing out there, so we're pretty much locked into going to both games while we're out there. That, and I have an unhealthy hatred of the Avs. I wish the Mammoth had a home game while we are out there. I really can't wait to go out there. The last time I was out in the Denver area, I was 22 and drinking nothing but Flying Dog.

21. denver10

denver10 Champion (900) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

22. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (605) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Vine street in denver is hosting "stout month" all month long. I haven't been, but I've heard good things.

23. SalukiAlum

Left Hand is alright. Nice vibe at the brewery, but average beer IMO.

24. GraniteSkunk

Okay, one more question -

I've never really been into the mountains before(neither has she), and I'd love to find a really scenic and quiet place up in the mountains to take her for lunch, just the two of us. Does anyone happen to know of a spot like that? Within an hour of either Fort Collins or Denver would work - maybe someplace in Rocky Mountain national park?

25. Poppy's in Estes had PtE on draft a couple weeks ago, if you're beer-driven. Really, anywhere in Estes would be a good bet for a scenic lunch...Smokin Daves and Twin Owls have solid food too.

26. SalukiAlum

FYI event wise Denver Beer Co. has the Beer, Bacon & Coffee Fest Saturday morning.

GraniteSkunk likes this.
  27. GraniteSkunk

[​IMG]

28. drumrboy22

drumrboy22 Savant (495) Colorado Jul 22, 2005

Haven't been following this thread very closely, but Falling Rock announced they'll be tapping two kegs of Younger that weekend.

GraniteSkunk likes this.
  29. GraniteSkunk

I'm there.

30. I don't mean to thread-jack, but I'll be in FC on March 19th & 20th if you're still up for a bottle share/IP trade. I'll have an extra bourbon county coffee, BA bigfoot, some New Glarus stuff, and probably a few Chicago locals like Pipeworks and Revolution.

31. guyforget

guyforget Aficionado (205) Colorado Nov 12, 2009

what kinda trades you interested in? im not much of a trader but i could meet at the sunday afternoon falling rock younger tapping to take a fou foune off your hands...

32. GraniteSkunk

Thanks again for all the advice and suggestions, folks. Turns out that I didn't have much of a desire to do anything beer related while here(aside from the one I had at Crooked Stave).