1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Must try Utah beers

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by ijaap, Jan 14, 2013.

1. ijaap

ijaap Aficionado (190) Washington Jan 5, 2013

Hey I've got a friend down in Utah for a week and am having him grab me a few beers. I told him to keep an eye out for epics big bad baptist. Any other recommendations? Barrel aged offerings? Thanks in advance. He's near Murray I believe.

2. kagent777

kagent777 Savant (260) Utah Dec 6, 2009

It does not matter too much where he goes, as each of the DABC stores will have the same price per bottle. There are no private "bottle shops". The state stores all have pretty similar selection, while the one on 90th S (just each if I-15) may be a bit better than average.

Epic is a must visit, they have a storefront (825 S. State St.) where they sell each of their available bottles. BBB is excellent, I have also heard good things about the Santa Cruz Brown (Brown IPA) that has recently been re-released.The only one I do not like from Epic is the Crossfever Amber. Do try Elder Brett if they still have it available.

The Beer Store, storefront for Utah Brewer's Coop (~1700 S 300 W) should have Switch, Fifth Element, and 529. All highly recommended.

I also like Uinta's Crooked line series of beers. Cockeyed Cooper, and Labyrinth being very tasty. Don't forget Dubhe (Black IPA). I think it is my highest rated Utah beer.

The beers being brewed in Utah are quite tasty, even if the "beer vibe" cannot be found, yet. Here is to hoping that might change.

Cheers,
    Scott

3. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Savant (255) Nebraska May 25, 2005

i really like uinta beers and wish i could get it here in nebraska.

it won't help for getting bottles for yourself but you should tell him to hit up the bayou, i went there as i spent a night in slc on my last road trip and i loved that place. good food, good coffee, great beer selection

4. ijaap

Thanks for the responses. He's heading to Epic tonight or tomorrow to grab some beers and have a look around. I'll see if he can't head to The Beer Store and grab me a few bottles of the Fifth Element and Switch. I'll have him on the lookout for the Dubhe Black IPA too!

All in all sounds like a good list of beers, thanks guys! I'll pass on the Bayou recommendation as well!

5. ucsbmullet

ucsbmullet Savant (485) Colorado Oct 5, 2011

Squatters, brewpub right downtown, makes damn good beer too.

6. ucsbmullet

ucsbmullet Savant (485) Colorado Oct 5, 2011

Downtown SLC.

7. RuckusDu

RuckusDu Savant (395) Colorado Mar 23, 2011

I'll second Squaters. 529, fifth element, and barrel of Russians are all superb. Not sure what is around but get what you can.

8. ijaap

Well he ended up grabbing me a Big Bad Baptist and a blackberry porter that I am very interested to try. Both from Epic Brewing. I also got a nice little Epic snifter as well. Thanks for the recs guys!

Also, turns out my lead brewer at Redhook is Jen Talley, coincidentally she brewed the Squatters fifth element. Pretty cool!