1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

My first damaged box. Help?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by DrWalterWhite, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Today, a box I shipped to a trader got damaged on the truck (FedEx). It went out in the morning on the truck for delivery, but was not delivered due to "damaged package." According to the tracker, they are "handling per shipper's instructions." What the hell does this mean? I don't recall giving any instructions on how to handle my shipment in the event that it became damaged. Do I reach out and contact FedEx to instruct them on what to do with the box? Will it just be returned to me in its "damaged" condition?

Before anyone asks, I've already talked to the intended recipient. The good news is that these are all bottles that are easily replaced, but I'm baffled as to how they became damaged on the truck--I used a styro wine-shipper and lined the entire thing in an industrial garbage bag; they must have really done a number on the box.

Thanks all for your help.

2. I don't have any useful information for you, but I feel your pain!
    So many of the boxes I receive are damaged by the local post office. How they manage to do it, I do not know!
    It seems to me that postal services hire people who have an insatiable urge to play soccer with our boxes o_O

3. jmarsh123

jmarsh123 Advocate (545) Indiana Mar 31, 2010

I always assumed "shipper" to mean FedEx. Sometimes it does still get delivered, but since it didn't, I'd say it's coming all the way back to you which makes no sense at all, but seems to be their policy.

4. call them, see what they are going to do. Each hub is different, some destroy, some re-package, some shake their finger at you, and some will just try to complete the shipment. Start with 1-800-gofedex.

maximum12 and AleWatcher like this.
  5. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

What lobo said. A growler I sent leaked close to destination last summer... pretty sure they knew the contents. Forwarded the rest of it anyway.

Thanks anonymous Fedex guy(s).

6. Yeah - call - for the most part Fedex seems pretty good about sending it on, but they may want to talk to you first in case you'd prefer it returned. (If, for example, you were selling something you wouldn't want to deliver half an order...)

7. What do I say the package contains when I call? Yeast samples seems to be the company line from what I gather.

8. collective glassware. They might not even ask.

9. I had this happen to me a few weeks back, same exact situation. Fedex sent this back to me, just as I had sent. They told me a bottle broke, and they discarded it. The other beers I had in the package were still in there.

10. kif

kif Savant (250) Illinois Jan 4, 2012

I had a gift pack of Westy 12 shipped to me from overseas. It came through the post office. Both glasses and 4 of the 6 bottles were shattered. They still delivered it to me amazingly. The package was soaking wet on the bottom, almost soaked through. The mailman just said "feels like something leaked inside of there." The box smelled like old skunky beer, so I figure it had to have been broken for awhile. I literally have the worst post office ever... they constantly lose packages, don't attempt delivery even though they claim they do, etc. 1 star on yelp. I still cannot believe they delivered a soaking wet box of beer.

11. DSho

DSho Aficionado (185) Florida Sep 6, 2011

Just happened to me last week. Sucks but fortunately they just removed the damaged bottle and then delivered it the following day which was awesome. Not sure if being insured had anything to do with them still delivering it but unwashed scared they were going to discard the whole box like they did with a box that was being shipped to me. I would just call them if its unclear.

12. SeaSparrow

SeaSparrow Aficionado (160) Texas Sep 4, 2010

Happened to me and the package went from damaged one day to "completely damaged" the next day, nothing to be picked up or returned to sender. I am pretty sure our beer was "confiscated" by the manager... Hope he enjoyed it... I am in the process of filing a claim but haven't heard back yet... Good luck!

13. Same thing happened here. I called and they told me the "goods" were unrecoverable. I filed a claim but I'm not holding my breath. I'm still pretty stunned that this happened with THIS box. I figured it would happen eventually, but the driver would have had to leave the box in the street and let a car drive over it to shatter the glass. Oh well, at least there were no whales in there.

14. SeaSparrow

SeaSparrow Aficionado (160) Texas Sep 4, 2010

Bummer, hopefully we will both have good luck with their claims department!
    I am pretty sure the driver had to hear the liquid and then open to investigate because I over-packaged the heck out of that box too. I guess my next shipment I will start using some noise makers...

15. beenitty

beenitty Savant (340) New Jersey Nov 27, 2010

Anyone successfully gotten claim from broken bottles?

I had to do a claim a few months back and had to make up an invoice on Paypal just to get the money back because I didnt have the actual reciepts from the beers.

16. canjeeps

canjeeps Savant (325) Pennsylvania Jul 18, 2007

I had the same thing happen to me as the op posted. Exact same message from fedex was sent to me. They said it was damaged on the truck which makes not a lot of sense. Long story short, the box was sent back to me. They reboxed it and the beers were sent back to me. It seems the one extra I sent broke or leaked cause when they sent it back there was leftover mad elf juice on the packing. Overall it all worked out, my trade partner ended up with CBS that made the safe journey

17. hello,maybe i can help out since i work for FedUp..if a box is leaking or smells funny the shipping company has the right to stop the shipment. than they will contact the shipper and ask what they would like to do with it? most of the time the the package is tossed in the trash per the shipper due to poor packaging..not FedUps fault..other times FedUp will try to repackage it and send it back to the shipper or forward it on to the recipient..as for customers packaging alot of them need to take a packaging class 101..tossing breakables into a box with some pop corn doesnt do the job..pack your contents like your shipping your first born..hope this helped out..bobbi

18. Yeah, I mean that's the thing. I was not contacted, I had to contact them. The bottles were very well protected in a styro shipper, so I don't think it can be said there was a lack of caution on my part. When I called, I was told that the box was destroyed and the contents weren't salvageable. I filed a claim, we'll see what happens.

19. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (685) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

What ended up happening?

I got my first "Damaged - handling per shipper instructions
    Recommended action:
    No action required. Contact us at https://www.fedex.com/insight/info/contactus.jsp for more information."

It says no action, then it says contact us.

20. dblab33

dblab33 Savant (365) Michigan Dec 9, 2011

I had the same thing happen to me. A regular trading partner had sent a box from CA through USPS and a bottle of DBDA broke... and they just put it in a plastic bag and delivered it with beer still dripping everywhere. The guy said nothing, just handed it to me and walked away. There was a really really nice bottle in that box that thankfully made it to me safely, but it was quite the scare. I have a feeling the mail man just didn't want to deal with it so he threw it in a bag and dropped it off.

21. The way some people ship things I am amazed that anything in the box arrives undamaged !!!

creepinjeeper likes this.
  22. Did we just break a record for longest amount of inactivity between posts in a thread on BA? If I remember right, didn't everything auto-lock after a long period of inactivity on the old site?

If you just got this message, call them ASAP. You may or may not have a choice in the matter, but it never hurts to try.

23. I had the same thing happen in December. They never sent anything back. I filed a claim but they denied it. The box still shows up on MY FEDEX as sitting in Secaucus, NJ.

24. Ok, so what's protocal for this?
    A package I sent to a guy was met with the same fate. It was only a six-pack (of which I can't find anymore) but the shipping was $20 as well. So I'm looking at dropping another $30.

25. Bizoneill

Bizoneill Savant (290) Connecticut Apr 19, 2012

I just had a package ripped to shreds by Fedex. I shipped a brand new box out to a fellow trader and some how this "brand new Fedex box" tore apart on the conveyer belt..... What do they do with these things? Anyway I had both cans and bottles in there and I guess all of the (5) bottles broke and beer went everywhere.... Most of the cans survived thanks God since there were 12 Heady Topper that my trading partner still received after Fedex packed them back up so he could pick up. This was definitely a wake up call for me to start shipping a lot smarter. I really thought I packed this well but I guess you can never pack enough. I read using the trash bags thats new to me and good to know. Sounds like a great idea. I have shipped beer plenty of times before and had no problems but I guess there is always a first.

26. AndrewPalmer

AndrewPalmer Savant (370) Minnesota Jan 11, 2013

I was so excited, my first trade was supposed to arrive today......made it all the way to my city.....and damaged, returning to shipper. Bummer

27. http://alewatcher.blogspot.com/2010/11/new-trader-tips.html

I am somewhat new to the trading scene. I hope you don't mind me sharing this with you, but I highly advise reading this blog. It will save you lots of trouble and heartache in the future, especially in this busy time of year for carriers. Shows you how to pack with and without styroshippers. Always bag in the first box in case of leaks or breaks, then place your box inside a slightly larger box filled with packing peanuts. Protects the inner box like a shock absorber/crumple zone and helps to cut down on the sloshing sound. It has taken some of the worry out of my trades. Cheers!

Bizoneill likes this.
  28. First box down today ... All the way to ca and they are sending it back.... WTF?