1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

My first sexual chocolate

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by crusian, Feb 9, 2013.

1. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

So, was in the Raleigh area the week, and found out sexual chocolate was getting a wee bit of distribution. Shockingly enough actually got a bottle. FINALLY get to try this. Could have traded for it, sure, but never really tried. Huge hype, love foothills Baltic porter, Is probably my #1...
    Anyone else really disappointed in sexual chocolate? Almost no chocolate and just thin and an average stout. So much hype and anticipation for this... extrejeky let down. Glad I didn't trade for it. Glad I got to try it, but meh...
    Am I an exception here?
  2. herman77

herman77 Savant (490) Minnesota Jan 24, 2010

Just had the 2012 release for the first time Thursday night side by side with the 2011 BA version. Wasn't really impressed with the normal version. However the BA version was really good! Probably the closest BA stout that I've had that tastes like BCBS. I think the 20 year old Pappy barrels made all the difference.
    Benny3000 likes this.
  3. crusian

Yeah, I think its a given that the BA version is better, but wtf? What the hell is the hype on this beer? I can only assume it is the name and the name alone. Hell, expedition is much better than this!
  4. I agree completely.
    smutty33 likes this.
  5. I haven't tried it this year and I have only experienced it on tap, but it has always seemed thin for an Imperial Stout. I think there are much better versions of the style that are easier to get and much cheaper, but it is still a good beer. The name probably does help it out as well as the label. However, Foothills makes some excellent beer. Jade IPA is amazing.
  6. Sexual chocolate should be a shelf beer, it's average...very average, the BA version is amazing. The pappy barrels turn it into gold.
  7. Expedition is the best non-BA Imperial Stout period. End of story.
    JDizzle likes this.
  8. A couple of weeks ago I did a blind taste test with my usual beer group. The beers were Avery Czar (2009), Ten Fidy (2010), Stone IRS (2012), Founders IS (2012), and Expedition (2012). The Expedition won, decisively.

Back on topic, Sexual Chocolate is a classic example of a "hype beer", where the name, label, and release style feed into the beer's reputation. Much more so than Hopslam, which seems to be the target-du-jour of the "hype" derision.
  9. As far as NC imperial stouts go Event Horizon takes the cake. I enjoy being able to have this one on draft a couple times a year but im not going out of my way to get this in bottles. It is good but not great.
    Lantern, Rutager and Bung like this.
  10. crusian

Event horizon is still on my list...
    Never had it yet, but wouldmlike to.
  11. I will say that I just cracked open a 2011 Sexual Chocolate and it really was wonderful
  12. crusian,

How have you been. long time and many beers consumed since we last traded. I find sexual chocolate to be very mediocre. I had such high hopes. Love the bottle though. Hope all is well and if you ever want some east coast goodness let me know.

Cheers,

Doug
    smutty33 likes this.
  13. zach60614

zach60614 Savant (265) Illinois May 1, 2012

I wouldn't say that at all. I prefer Darkness much more.
    OneBeertoRTA and sacrelicio like this.
  14. crusian

No kidding! Good to hear from you! I should be heading up your way again soon I think.
  15. let me know when you come up. we can grab a beer or two at Eli Cannons. I am giving up beer during lent, so hopefully it is after that.
  16. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

Once you go......
  17. Bung

Bung Advocate (635) Michigan Nov 5, 2007

Ah your one of those..barrel worship.
    Opinion invalidated.
    Obviously I don't understand the point of these beer shitting/personal validation threads.
    Onenote81 likes this.
  18. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

thread title is funny
    BeerBuddy2122 and Bluecane like this.
  19. davesway10

davesway10 Savant (490) Iowa Jan 23, 2010

Stating ones opinion on a highly anticipated somewhat hyped beer is somehow "Beer shitting" wow I guess you do learn something new every day . I was also completely underwhelmed with this beer. The BA version however was phenomenal. Guess I'm a barrel worshipper as well, tragedy. If only we all had the same opinions/tastes as you do.
  20. Sexual Chocolate is a good, solid beer but certainly not exceptional or better than many of my favorite shelf stouts like Founders, Expedition, etc. People seem to have unrealistic expectations due to the low bottle count and extremely small distribution. It's a good beer and that's all.
    smutty33 likes this.
  21. shuajw

shuajw Savant (485) Georgia Aug 12, 2007

I'l always have a special place in my heart for Sexual Chocolate :) It was one of the first big beers I had and releases I attended. Got bottles at the 08/09/10/11 releases. Had some great times sitting out on the street in Winston-Salem.

But as time went on and I tried other big beers, sadly SC started to slip in terms of overall personal ranking and I haven't been back for the last two releases. Though the cold weather started to get to me :) and I've gone to Hunahpu's release the last couple years.
  22. Was in college. She was definitely a Nubian princess!!
  23. I gave both the regular and BA versions the same score of 4. Good, but not as great as they are made out to be.
  24. Bung

Bung Advocate (635) Michigan Nov 5, 2007

Then write a review. How is saying it is average, off the shelf, not worth trading for, etc not shitting on it?? Then making or contributing to a post to validate to others your opinion? I guess just did the same thing but opposite. It's a big beer that people trade other big beers for and basically this thread is saying it is not worth doing so. Should I be apologizing for not agreeing and piling on with the others?
  25. nicks6217

nicks6217 Savant (360) California Jan 15, 2010

both BA and regular sexual chocolate are below a meh in my book, not even worth seeking out.
  26. Why does this thread remind me of the player hater episode from dave chapelle? So if you got a not fresh version of this beer would it be appropriate to say that you got a "broke ass" sexual chocolate?
    hefehead12 likes this.
  27. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

It is a good imperial stout. Is it the best imperial stout ever? No. Is it worth $15/bomber? No. But it is a good imperial stout. Maybe I get spoiled because there are kegs everywhere in Asheville every year so I don't have to jump through hoops to get it, but it's certainly worth seeking out and drinking if not trading your cellar away for. Very few hyped beers are worth their hype.

Also, why does everyone think Sexual Chocolate should taste like Young's Double Chocolate Stout? There are plenty of chocolate stouts out there that don't taste like alcoholic Yoo-Hoo.
  28. davesway10

davesway10 Savant (490) Iowa Jan 23, 2010

1. OP never callied it an Off the shelf beer . He said the beer saw a little bit of distribution and he was lucky enough to find one .
    2. OP never said don't trade for it. He said , reflectively, that he was happy he didn't expend the effort trading for it.
    3.No, Never apologize for having your own opinion. You are entitled to yours the same is I am entitled to mine.

But why trash someone for an opinion that differs from your own ? Your right he could have wrote a review but that isn't what he was looking for, he wanted to know if anyone had a similar experience to what he had. Is that validating? maybe, maybe not. Personally I don't think it is. Have you ever saw a movie that you where really excited to see then walked away feeling let down ? Then, later, asked others what they thought of the movie ? Validating to me is when you feel somewhat guilty for having done something then posting your question in the forums looking for support to justify your actions.
  29. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

The label is great, I figure starting with something positive would be good.

In my opinion, Sexual Chocolate is just not a good beer. This is not due to any lofty expectations, I'd be just as disappointed if this was an everyday shelf beer. I don't really feel the BA version is all that great either. The label is really nice though.
    codysjb likes this.
  30. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

Great I just traded for one of these and now all this. The gentleman that traded me the bottle did strongly advise me to hold onto it for a couple years before I popped it. I guess this is incentive..
  31. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

clearly he has like 8 bottles of this and OP is screwing with his trade value. i wouldnt stand for it either. ;)
    zach60614 likes this.
  32. fullmetal1381

fullmetal1381 Savant (270) Florida Jul 30, 2011

This from the guy with the Hunahpu avatar. For shame:p
    zach60614 and Bluecane like this.
  33. Yep... Expedition is still better. :p
  34. It may have been said on here, but I really enjoyed the Silent Night Imperial Stout by Mother Earth. It's a few more bucks than the sexual chocolate, but it was well worth it and much better in my opinion.
  35. Lantern

Lantern Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2011

I can make it happen...
  36. codysjb

codysjb Savant (400) Florida Jun 16, 2010

Agreed. I'd drink it and I don't think its absolutely terrible but its completly average at best.