1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

My HotD Fred exploded

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jmarce, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmarce

jmarce Savant (320) Connecticut May 15, 2011

batch 87, just bought it last week. Earlier this morning I heard a loud popping noise, went downstairs to investigate and found this:

[​IMG]

I've never had a problem with the bottom of a bottle blowing out like this. What would have caused this? Infection? Bad bottle?
  2. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

HOTD is notorious for this. Not sure if it's infection or just too much referementation in the bottle.

What is the temp in your downstairs?
  3. Make a chalk outline. RIP Fred.
  4. surlytheduff

surlytheduff Savant (370) Michigan Jul 22, 2010

5. jmarce

jmarce Savant (320) Connecticut May 15, 2011

it stays between the high 50's/low 60's. I guess I should put the other bottle I have in the fridge until I drink it to avoid another one these?
  6. leedorham

Probably a good idea.
  7. It's interesting bottles always explode when no one is around (thank goodness).

Related, has anyone had a bottle explode while they were handling it, or in a near vicinity?
  8. I once purposely left a batch of bad homebrew out in the summer heat and sat and watched.
    bottles were shooting off like rocketships.
  9. Not bottles, but have heard of kegs. Those plastic one from Europe were notorious for exploding on people as they handled them. I'm sure there are probably some lawsuits out there because of this. The pictures I've seen of the people who got exploded on looked pretty bad, not life threatening but bad no the less.
  10. Had a bottle of Firestone Double Jack explode in my hand this week. Was extremely embarrassing as we were getting carded at a BYOB restaurant at the time of the explosion. Sprayed all over the place and we were asked to leave!
    benjaminahudson and Skye1024 like this.
  11. a worker at red hook was killed recently due to an exploding plastic keg. Terrible
  12. leedorham

At least I just had a good laugh at your expense ;)
    HokiesandBeer likes this.
  13. And by "explode" I want to clarify that the top popped off, surprising as it was a bomber bottle and it has that plastic coating on it...I think the coating stopped the cap from going flying...still sprayed everywhere though.
  14. Wow that is terrible, didn't realize there was fatalities because of them. I guess we can assume we won't be seeing anymore plastic kegs around. I know of plenty of places that refuse to sell any draft beer out of these kegs, guess it should be all places.
    loony4lambic likes this.
  15. divineaudio

divineaudio Savant (400) Michigan Dec 7, 2009

I had a bottle of Adam explode on me a few years ago, but I chalked it up to improper storage (in a cabinet at room temp in the middle of summer).
  16. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

had an old guardian explode on my car seat literally 30 seconds after I bought it. my car smelled great for like a month... nice a hoppy. took the pieces back in and they gave me a new one. :)
  17. [​IMG]
    pjl44, shyhenry, suspect and 6 others like this.
  18. I almost lost an eye opening a bottle of Drie Golden Blend a couple weekends ago.
  19. weatherdog

weatherdog Savant (470) Illinois Nov 7, 2007

Fact: The Belgian Armed Forces are now armed with bottles of Golden Blend since the velocity of the cork is greater than that of a bullet.
  20. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

I opened a 2010 oude geuze 750 from the 23rd floor of a highrise in Chicago a few months back...the cork cleared the street :)
    JulianB likes this.
  21. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Also put a dent in the cheap drywall of my old apartment with a 3F bottle cork too once....
  22. leedorham

My wife shot me in the ass with a cork while I was peeing. Not peeing with the door open ever again.
  23. Highbrow

Highbrow Savant (475) California Jan 7, 2011

i bet you were... *pissed*! :cool:
    jglowe77 and Greenplastic615 like this.
  24. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

I put a bag of beer on the kitchen counter last week after shopping, turned around, and the Ommegang bomber exploded. Luckily in the bag because that glass was in a million tiny pieces.
  25. How'd she shoot you in the ass if you were sitting down? ;)
  26. fvernon

fvernon Savant (370) Wisconsin Mar 1, 2010

I have... BBC had a forced-carbonation issue in 2008, over-carbonating their bourbon stouts. I had one explode (not break off at the bottom, but literally explode) on my kitchen counter just as I had turned the corner into my living room; I was picking up glass shards from 15-20 feet away and was damn lucky that I had just gotten out of its path. Every other bottle in the pack was opened immediately, was a gusher, and BBC was kind enough to refund me for the 6'er.
  27. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

Brilliant wife. I will attempt the same, but with rubber bands. Thanks for the idea. :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.