1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

My Trip to Beer Mecca

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by jj74365, Jan 10, 2013.

1. A few pics from weekend in Philly.

The Mirror in back bar

[​IMG]

Beer Bible

[​IMG]

Outside Monk's

[​IMG]

Catherine the Great

[​IMG]

I'm on the right. Belgian Cafe.

[​IMG]

Cassis

[​IMG]

The Chimay

[​IMG]

dar482, russpowell, Roguer and 3 others like this.
  2. JxExM

JxExM Savant (470) New York Mar 5, 2012

Nice pics man. I'm heading out to Philly with my wife on Friday to Tired Hands.

jzeilinger likes this.
  3. Thanks. Be sure and visit The Belgian Cafe. Same owners as Monk's, but a better bar in my view. Not better selection, just better bar. If you're lucky, Marlena will be bartending. And if you're looking for great Italian food, hit up The Victor Cafe on Dickinson Street. Some of Rocky 6 was filmed in there. The waiteresses sing Opera in between serving. It's quite the spectacle.

ILikeGoodCider, Zimbo and JxExM like this.
  4. Example:

Zimbo likes this.
  5. Second your recommendation on the Victor Cafe, took my wife there for Valentine's several years ago but be sure to call well in advance for a reservation for that particular day - great food and great ambience! I'd like to add Eulogy to the list also!! (awesome pics too, BTW. However, you have some great beer stops in your neck of the woods also!)

JxExM likes this.
  6. HRamz3

HRamz3 Advocate (630) Pitcairn Feb 9, 2010

Nice photos. FWIW: there is tremendously better food to be had than Victor's, and they have a bar with an ok selection of craft -> http://www.levirtu.com/

7. OP sharing his beer passion through awesome pics and a big grin. This is beer advocacy in its truest form.
    Love it.

AdamP, HRamz3, schillman and 3 others like this.
  8. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

mental note: gotta return to philly

In the interim, my next visit will be to the brooklyn beer mecca.... torst... which is near doughnut nirvana... peterpan!

9. jdb288

jdb288 Aficionado (225) New Jersey Nov 22, 2013

Glad you enjoyed Philly, my "home" city. Don't forget Eulogy, Memphis Tap Room and Devil's Den (amongst many others!) on your next trip.

HRamz3 and tkdchampxi like this.
  10. Donco

Donco Savant (425) Pennsylvania Aug 12, 2013

Living in Philly has some beer-lover-advantages. Many fine places to have wide range of beers on tap. I'd also include to the above list: Capone's in East Norriton (NW suburb) and Bainbridge Street Barrel House (Queens Village area near Center City). And always check Phillytapfinder.com