1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Mystery Bottle LIF - Part 2 "Beerios Edition"

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by quirkzoo, Aug 9, 2012.

1. quirkzoo

quirkzoo Initiate (0) Colorado Jul 7, 2011

I was the lucky recipient of ruizjoseph's Mystery Bottle Part 1 in which I elected for the concealed "mystery" bottle, which turned out to be a Baller Stout and some very awesome extras.

To remind you of the relevant rules, I send a box containing two bombers to the winner with one of the bottles wrapped up so they don't know the contents (mystery bottle) and one as is (bottle #2) so they know what the bottle contains (and some extras). The mystery behind the wrapping could be an awesome bottle or a double-deuce of steel reserve. Winners of LIFs would only post the portion of their haul that isn't going to be part of the next round. The recipient then has to start their own LIF that contains one of the two bottles I sent, either the mystery bottle still in its wrapping or the other bottle that is now wrapped up plus another bottle (or you may elect to have your new bottle be the "mystery bottle"). I would post a photo of the mystery bottle in the thread with identifying characteristics to ensure the recipient didn't peek, as would other senders.

So how do you win beer?

My undergraduate and graduate degrees are in Film so I want all of you to become budding film makers. To win the beer, you have to make a video Short Film and post it in this thread of someone eating beerios (eating cheerios and substituting beer for the milk). Points will be given totally subjectively based on: the quality of the video (God help you if you record it on your phone in portrait mode), beer pairing, setting, location, soundtrack, lighting, likes received, titles, special effects, inspiration from other great films, stunts, celebrity cameos, cats, narrative arc, epicness, plot twist at the end...

Now, we are all advocates of beer, so I am not encouraging you to pair your cheerios with your one and only bottle of Ann but if you have two bottles then go for it ;)

Submissions are due by 9:37 PM Zulu Time, Monday, Aug. 20th.

Feel free to ask any clarifying questions in the thread.

Also, please be aware that my wife is expecting our second child, due Sept. 15th, so in the event that she delivers early (definite possibility) the final judging of short films and shipping of beer may be delayed slightly.
  2. I think everyone should submit secretly via BM, so that all the films can be revealed simultaneously. Thoughts?
  3. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (615) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

You, quirkzoo, are a sick individual. That bbeing said, i look forward to the challenge
  4. this is amazing. not sure whether I want to do this or not, but amazing.
  5. quirkzoo

I see the advantages of this format, however, I will go with the stated format so that people can be inspired by other's submissions, it will keep the thread current so that more can see and therefore enter and how many "likes" each submission receives will be factored into the final decision.
  6. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

I am sad that I will not have the time over the next week and a half to put something together... :(
  7. quirkzoo

I know how long it takes to shoot and edit a video so if you really do need more time, I am open to pushing out the deadline, I just didn't want it to lose steam. I figured two weekends would be sufficient for what I am looking for.
  8. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Oh I'm sure it's plenty of time for most folks, this just happens to be a particularly busy time for me.
  9. ISO: Video Camera & Cheerios
    FT: Hilarity
  10. hmph

hmph Savant (265) Virginia Jun 9, 2011

Guinness and lucky charms on St. Patty's day is a family tradition....and Cinco De Mayo... I guess actually whenever dad woke up drunk... anyway

Honey nut cheerios will work right? ;)
  11. quirkzoo

Yes, I should have clarified that originality is encouraged. For example, you could get the whole line of Cheerios

Cheerios
    Honey Nut Cheerios
    Multi Grain Cheerios
    Fruity Cheerios (just found out these exist)
    Chocolate Cheerios

and then do a horizontal pairing with Yeti varients

Cheerios : regular Yeti
    Honey Nut Cheerios : Espresso Yeti
    Multi Grain Cheerios : Oak Aged Yeti (because multi grain tastes like wood amirite?)
    Fruity Cheerios : Belgian Yeti (obviously the fruity esters of belgian yeast would pair well here)
    Chocolate Cheerios : Chocolate, Oak aged Yeti

That would be epic, and would definitely earn bonus points. Also, +100 to whoever can find a box of barrel aged Cheerios.

Or something regionally appropriate like Guiness and Lucky Charms as you mentioned.
  12. pschul4

Are there bonus points for making yourself suffer? And does eating the beerios have to be the focus of the movie?
  13. Time to get a Triple Bock...
  14. quirkzoo

Well, I did "like" the post below your's

So, I will let you come to your own conclusion. But really, I think I would rather see people enjoy what they are doing than to just suffer to win free beer. But if you suffer a lot, then that would also be taken into account.

No, but they should definitely be prominently featured and/or integral to the storyline. A general rule in film making is that every element should be in support of the story. For example the unique narrative structure of the film "Memento" made sense because it was telling the story in the same way that the main character perceived time. If the same technique is applied to a different story, then it just becomes a cool technique and is not at service to the story.

So the beerios should be at service to the main idea of your film, not just a cool technique added on because you need to.
  15. pschul4

I'll enjoy my beerios, I was thinking of making myself suffer with the beverage I enjoy next to it thought.

Also going to need to rewrite the script a little bit to make the beerios more prominent
  16. quirkzoo

Along the lines of the last thought in the previous post, the winning video could be just a person eating beerios as long as all the decisions made are explained. I am reminded of the film maker David Fincher, when he was making Zodiac, they brought in one of the reporters that had worked on the original stories that the movie was based on. They brought the reporter onto the newsroom set and he sat down at "his" old desk, and picked up a pencil from the desk and David Fincher had selected the exact same type of pencils that this reporter used to use, 30 years prior, when he was working as a reporter. It is this level of detail, that often goes unnoticed in the final product, that is important in creating the world of the story that you are telling.

I am not expecting quite that level of detail, but I want to see some good thought and interesting choices going into the final products.
  17. ediaz

ediaz Savant (315) Florida Nov 23, 2011

If portrait phone videos are out of the question, what about landscape? ;)
  18. quirkzoo

Good question actually. Per my quasi-rant about your choices matching the story you are telling, I think the Blair Witch Project is a perfect example. Yes, it was shot on crappy cameras, but that fit the story they were telling, so it worked. Now, if you tried to make Thor 2 and film it on a handy-cam, it probably wouldn't work. With that said, I am not expecting people to rent a red camera to film this thing, I just want to see smart choices being made.
  19. quirkzoo

No submissions so far, is anyone working on this?

At this point, any video submitted will win the beer ;)

If there is no interest I can shut it down and try again.
  20. jacob4999

jacob4999 Savant (310) Michigan Dec 9, 2008

Well I have a script ready but been to busy to film it. Not sure ill get it done before Monday. It's pretty Damn funny too!
  21. quirkzoo

Am I hearing that people want more time?
  22. Yeah, I'd love to submit something but it's been a crazy few weeks.
  23. Ungertaker

Ungertaker Savant (460) Minnesota Apr 30, 2010

Infected Cheerios : BA Yeti
  24. Ungertaker

I will be (attempting) to film tomorrow morning.
  25. AnnArborJoe

AnnArborJoe Savant (325) Michigan Jan 18, 2011

This is such a fantastic idea I hope to see a few submissions. Glad you are keeping this going.

Perfect pairing with beerios - cigarettes. The last time I had a bowlful it was accompanies by a camel wide. Mmmmmm...I miss the tar.
  26. quirkzoo

7 hours to go on this one. Surely someone drank too much last night and slept in and it is just about time for cheerios.

If no one submits anything I will gather the troops and see what we can do.
  27. quirkzoo

wow, not a single submission, I will consult with my advisors and update accordingly.

anybody that was thinking about submitting, what prevented you from doing so?

Should I have listed some of the beers being offered? (I linked to the box sent to me to give an idea of the level/amount of bottles but I am not sure if people actually read that)

Longer deadline?

Make the request less serious in tone?

I have noticed that as the TMTOBA threads have gone on they have gotten increasingly more complicated and therefore less people are signing up because they know they don't have the time or resources to commit to win anything therefore they don't even enter because they figure they will just be outdone by someone who is putting in more time and effort.

Or was this just a stupid idea and no one wants to waste a beer on beerios?
  28. I have an idea for this, as we'll as the means to film and edit, but it's been a crazy few weeks and it's going to stay pretty crazy until mid September. So for me, it's just a matter of timing! I thought it was an awesome idea.
  29. Also, please note my new avatar, in which Alton Brown is glibly pouring himself a bowl of Heady Topper Beerios.
  30. I just don't have the video editing skills. If I had a decent video camera (besides my awesome cell phone - ha!) and some editing software, I'd be all over this.
  31. quirkzoo

New thought, I revive this one, but I don't be so demanding on the requirements, just post a video of yourself eating beerios, points for pairing, originality and likes received. The quality of the video will not be judged and I will only cringe internally if you shoot it on your phone in portrait mode. I am thinking of opening up submissions for a bit longer (3 weeks or so?) and hopefully with less barriers to entry each submission will help bump the thread and get more people to participate.
  32. Ungertaker

I will be doing it again. This time, I will assure that I have checked my video camera is recording!!!