Mystery Brewing: Batch #1

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by phishbfm, Feb 26, 2013.

1. phishbfm

phishbfm Advocate (620) North Carolina Dec 4, 2010 Verified

Any info on this? It seems to be...a mystery. Saw it hit some shelves today...there was some at TW last week but something like $28 a bottle?!?!?

2. wedge

wedge Advocate (615) North Carolina Jan 13, 2004 Verified

"Batch #1 is the very first beer ever to be brewed on our brewhouse. It's been aging in barrels with Brettanomyces Bruxellensis since the beginning of February and is now a beautifully delicate sour beer with a cidery finish, a light Brett Brux funk, and gorgeous buttery oak notes."

There's a handful of reviews on RB. I haven't been impressed enough by Mystery to justify spending $25-30 on a bottle.

3. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Champion (795) North Carolina Feb 16, 2011 Verified

I had it at Beer Study in Chapel Hill, and I found it to be lackluster. Dry musty Brett with nothing to back it.

and I agree on the price point. Its just too high, but I understand thats the brewer's and distributer's prerogative; thay price it as they please. I dont have to buy it at all, and I wont.

zencigar likes this.
  4. phishbfm

phishbfm Advocate (620) North Carolina Dec 4, 2010 Verified

Yeah, nothing has been said about Mystery and specifically this beer to make me pay almost 30 bucks. Good luck to them.

5. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (665) Virginia May 28, 2010 Verified

Mystery was pouring this at Raleigh R&V last month.
    a friend described it well: "tastes like a watered down wine"

6. chefkevlar

chefkevlar Savant (450) South Carolina Apr 17, 2010 Verified

I've only had one beer from them and it I enjoyed it quite a bit. It was the breakfast stout and I think I paid something like $13 for a 64oz growler of it. I saw that bomber and knew the only way I'd be trying it is if someone else had it at a tasting.

7. fehrminator

fehrminator Advocate (535) North Carolina Jan 26, 2008 Verified

Agreed on the pricing comments. I'd go a step further to say that when a new brewery with almost no reputation or following decides to charge $25-$30 for a bomber, it actually lowers my estimation of the brewery and adversely impacts my willingness to support them. Unless it's liquid gold, which I'm not hearing from the "watered down wine" comment above. Did the guys at Roth move to Hillsborough?

Bung, nickfl, KhakCane and 1 other person like this.
  8. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Champion (795) North Carolina Feb 16, 2011 Verified

Six Impossible Things is by and far the best beer they make. The rye saison was alright, annabelle (black saison) was alright. Thornfields End (IPA) was meh. Theres room to improve and Erik and Chris have made huge strides in the year theyve been open. Plus Erik (the owner) is a great guy and a damn beer genius. Ill always root for him.

9. cnbrown313

cnbrown313 Savant (440) Illinois May 29, 2012

I just had this last night and I was looking to review it on here, but I don't see it. Anyway... the price tag was a little high... but everyone that tried it loved it. It has a really funky brett smell to it, drinks very easy, and finishes with a little bit of crisp sourness. I wouldn't buy it every day, but it sure was fun to try. And unique too.

10. KhakCane

KhakCane Savant (285) North Carolina Apr 15, 2010 Verified

I have a bottle to share if someone wants to try it. I'm kind of reluctant to open it.

**Edited**