1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Mystic Brewery releases Bourbon Barrel Aged Descendant Dark Ale

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by Todd, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Just in from Mystic ...

Ganglani likes this.
  2. mixylplik3

mixylplik3 Aficionado (235) Maine Feb 21, 2007

Glad to see another release with Founders Club members in mind at a kickass craft beer store!

nas5755 likes this.
  3. Do the Founders Club members not get first crack at these releases?

4. The Founder's Club wasn't originally meant to be an allocation club. We would love to give members first crack but that won't be possible until the tap room is ready. In appreciation of that, we have set aside beer for club members for new brands we introduce. The success of the barrel variations, which have been produced in very small amounts, is more difficult to allocate. However, there is a Founder's Club reserve for this one as there will be for the next new beer.

5. mixylplik3

mixylplik3 Aficionado (235) Maine Feb 21, 2007

Thanks for the clarification. I posted in a moment of annoyance but remain committed to the brand and your brews.

6. theKman

theKman Zealot (85) New Hampshire Dec 15, 2008

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm in!

7. How do the Founders Club members get the reserved beers?

8. What is the batch number on the bourbon Descendant?

9. They released one already for Gordons. So I'd imagine this is sort of a batch 2?

10. It was labeled batch "3" because we did single barrel bottling's for Gordons and Kappy's Medford (#2) prior to this one using barrels that they provided. This is the first general release of the beer.

11. What barrels did you use for this release?

12. Knowledge bereft of copyright reeks of lawsuits. As for the Gordons and Kappy's releases, there is a buffer on giving a down-low, since it would be hard to trace.

cbeer88 and nas5755 like this.
  13. At Founder's Club events (next likely one is the tasting room opening) or email me to arrange a pick up.

14. Loved the 1st Founders Club event. I can't wait for the next one.

15. Shouldn't all of this be communicated to the founders club members via email rather than on a public forum on beer Advocate? I guess I'd just like to be in the loop rather than having to scour facebook, twitter, beer advocate, mystic-brewery.com, ratebeer.com, etc to find out about new releases.

"The Founder's Club wasn't originally meant to be an allocation club." You did promise us a guaranteed place in line for releases though.

I love your products and can't wait to try the bb Descendant.

Cheers,
    John

nas5755 likes this.
  16. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

So does that mean you don't know or can't tell us?

17. nas5755

nas5755 Savant (320) Massachusetts Jan 11, 2007

Hmm, you said it fantastically. I love the beers and buy a bunch since my gf actually likes saisons now-THANK GOD- however, a little notice would be nice.

PS, I cant wait for the next Founders Club meet-up. It's a great time all-around.

18. There were italics on certain letters in my post but they disappeared after I posted it somehow. I answered the question with a few extra letters thrown in for self-preservation's sake. You can beermail me or email me and I would be happy to tell you privately.

This issue comes up a lot for brewers, but think of it this way: could you put a beer in a Pepsi bottle and then publicly call it "Beer made with Pespsi(R)!" It would be about ten minutes before you would get a cease and desist in your inbox. Even worse with bourbon barrels, the distillery could also cut off your future supply.

19. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

It took a couple of hints from other people, but I got it now. Thanks.

20. We just changed who is responsible for maintaining the Founder's Club (back to me) so if you didn't get an email about this release your email may not be on our list (email or beermail me, I have been trying to fill in the blanks!)

I am working on the way we get info out as I realize exactly what your are saying. Particularly since it turns out that a lot of our fans don't do facebook or twitter. As for the place in line, that is also valid comment which I will address. The means to reserve releases for you is just about worked out.

I appreciate the feedback whether public or private and we are reamin committed to making the the Founder's Club more than worthwhile. Keep an eye on your email inbox for more.

Cheers,
    Bryan